• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stolen Fantastic Four #1

25 posts in this topic

I know this is a long shot and it happened years ago, but I just found some images on a disc... so here goes.

This copy of Fantastic Four #1 was stolen from me in an ebay transaction that occured on May 12, 2003. Supposedly a stolen ebay and Paypal user IDs were used and the transaction was charged back to me well over a month after I shipped the book.

The book was shipped to the verified Paypal address which was:

Trey Mcdaniel

26849 172nd pl SE

Covington, WA 98042

User ID: trey-autumn

Name: The Silver Age

McDaniel later claimed that it wasn't him, he never received the book and someone else was using his accounts.

So, on the off chance anyone ever runs across this copy of FF #1, please let me know. I originally purchased it from Stephen Ritter and it grades about GOOD+ in my opinion. It has very distinctive water damage/chipping on the bottom edge of the back cover.

fffront.jpg

ffback.jpg

This guy is a thief, pure and simple...

Trey Mcdaniel

26849 172nd pl SE

Covington, WA 98042

A couple of years ago, I won two eBay auctions for a total of around $400, paid via Paypal, never received the books.

According to Mr McDaniel, his account had been hijacked and because I was out of time limits (it sucks when you're waiting on Air Mail), I never saw a dime back.

Looks like his account is very susceptible to hijacking... yeahok.gif

This guy is a thief, pure and simple...

Trey Mcdaniel

26849 172nd pl SE

Covington, WA 98042

A couple of years ago, I won two eBay auctions for a total of around $400, paid via Paypal, never received the books.

According to Mr McDaniel, his account had been hijacked and because I was out of time limits (it sucks when you're waiting on Air Mail), I never saw a dime back.

Looks like his account is very susceptible to hijacking... yeahok.gif

It may have been around the same time. What he did was sold a bunch of books he didn't have, and quickly used the Paypal funds to buy real books. About a month after he bought my FF #1, a ton of negatives started surfacing on his account from buyers he ripped off. (After he claimed his account was hijacked, ebay removed all the negatives.)

There is the possibility, I was paid with monies that were taken from you. frown.gif

Is he still active on Ebay today?

I don't know. I tracked him for a while waiting to see if the FF #1 would surface... he kept changing usernames and I eventually lost track.

Maybe a phone call to see if he stills lives at the same address is in order. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Just to be fair I've had my ebay account hacked as well. Some goober took it over about 3 years ago and bid on bunch of doll house [embarrassing lack of self control]. I ended up winning one and tried to tell the seller that the account had been hijacked, but it fell on deaf ears.

I can see it happening once or twice at most. If more than that then there's definitely a problem.

As I'm clueless on this type of thing....how does an account get hijacked....?

Someone somehow gets your user name and password?

That's the million dollar question. I wouldn't have even of known on mine as I was on vacation, but I just checked ebay when I was at my parent's house for no real reason.

Mine was definitely NOT a phishing scam as I'm very careful about email (even back then) and I never answer an email from paypal/ebay. If it's a concern on my account I'll go log in as I normally do and check from there.

I suspect that my experience was just an error / log in snafu on ebay's part. Some person logged in and bid on an auction and it some how registered the bid with my account. I'm not THAT computer savvy so maybe that isn't possible, but that's my best guess. confused-smiley-013.gif

As I'm clueless on this type of thing....how does an account get hijacked....?

Someone somehow gets your user name and password?

That's the million dollar question. I wouldn't have even of known on mine as I was on vacation, but I just checked ebay when I was at my parent's house for no real reason.

Mine was definitely NOT a phishing scam as I'm very careful about email (even back then) and I never answer an email from paypal/ebay. If it's a concern on my account I'll go log in as I normally do and check from there.

I suspect that my experience was just an error / log in snafu on ebay's part. Some person logged in and bid on an auction and it some how registered the bid with my account. I'm not THAT computer savvy so maybe that isn't possible, but that's my best guess. confused-smiley-013.gif

Sometimes eBay can screw up really bad. One time, several years ago, I left my browser up on My Ebay overnight. Then next morning I hit the refresh button an it reloaded a completely different user's account. I had full access to everything -- buying, selling, feedback, etc. I tooks some screen shots and fired off an email to eBay just to cover my butt. I never heard anything from them.

I just did a paypal search. I knew i dealt with him but could not remember where....I bought a New Teen Titans #2 from him over a year ago that he advertised as NM/M. The book shows up a 9.0 or so and i returned it. It took him a few weeks to refund me but i got it...I think that same book was resold several times with a lower grade...i did get the feeling he was a habitual liar but nothing concrete. Just a gut feeling with the excuses and stuff

R.

Wasn't the book shipped with tracking details and signature release? Someone had to sign for the book at the address you sent it to?

I wanted to send the book via FedEx, but the buyer stated that he had a problem getting FedEx deliveries. He asked me to send it USPS Delivery Confirmation with Insurance which I did. Since he had good feedback and I was sending it to the Paypal verified address, I figured it was ok.

frown.gif

Whoever it was, he played me like a fiddle. He knew the Paypal rules inside and out.

I was not eligible for seller protection for two reasons, 1) USPS Delivery Confirmation is not acceptable proof of delivery for transactions over $250, and 2) he paid me in two installments. Accepting payment in more than one installment voids Paypal seller protection.