• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

No bids for Chuck? Dallas we have a problem...

41 posts in this topic

Won't somebody please bid on these Dallas Stephens book so Chuck can pay off the truck rental company and the motel?

auctions list

there was also this plaintive note added to the FF#8: This is a second listing on this item. The starting price has been reduced significantly. If we cannot achieve this starting price, we have been instructed by the seller to withdraw the item from eBay.

This is a second listing on this item. The starting price has been reduced significantly. If we cannot achieve this starting price, we have been instructed by the seller to withdraw the item from eBay.

Then he should withdraw it right now...if anybody pays $1500 for an 8.5, I'm going to come to their house and shake some sense into them. insane.gif

The best part of that F.F. 8 listing is...

The label notes that this is considered a Very Fine + copy with off-white pages.

"Considered"? What the hell does that mean? Having seen some of the books he's tried to pass off as "NM/M" over the years, this joker has no room to question anyone else's grading...

And love the scan, didn't know F.F.8 had a black cover. 27_laughing.gif

there was also this plaintive note added to the FF#8: This is a second listing on this item. The starting price has been reduced significantly. If we cannot achieve this starting price, we have been instructed by the seller to withdraw the item from eBay.

He also said, "Out of 80 copies that have been graded by CGC, only 17 copies have graded out higher than this copy".

Am I the only one that thinks that sounds silly? I can see using that as a big selling point if it was in the top 5 or even top 10 certified copies.......but 20 percent of the copies that have been submitted to date are graded higher than this book. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Won't somebody please bid on these Dallas Stephens book so Chuck can pay off the truck rental company and the motel?

auctions list

Chuck must be slipping, it is only asking 2 to 8 times guide on his books - much less then the customary Mile High 10 times guide. This guy is the worst and I , personally, think that he is not even a blip on the screen compared the big dealers. Why does he bother even to put books on eBay, he is just wasting his money. 30 or so auctions on comics in the last month or so - no bidders. Big surprise, just another example of a mega-priced dealer ,out of touch with the market , who thinks because it is CGC'd - you must get multiples of guide no matter the condition.

Tom

The FF 8 (CGC 8.5) is only a mid-range NM by Mile High standards tongue.gif - better than NM 7.0 but it's certainly not a 9.6.

HUH ?

Mile High's NM range encompasses anything from 7.0 up. grin.gif

The FF 8 (CGC 8.5) is only a mid-range NM by Mile High standards tongue.gif - better than NM 7.0 but it's certainly not a 9.6.

HUH ?

Mile High's NM range encompasses anything from 7.0 up. grin.gif

Gotcha that time.

The exact same FC 108 9.2 was for sale at Comic Link around 2 years

ago for $3,200. Mr. Stevens most likely did not mind paying a premium

for quality which I respect and support 100%. However, relisting the book

at a 30% profit seems a little steep, especially given that a CGC 9.4

copy is offered at Heritage's July auction.

No one is going to bid on these books,people on eBay look for a bargain and they will nickel and dime a auction,if a auction for a ASM 1 9.4,and you start out the auction at 12 cents,people will bid a $1.00 and hope to win it.I see it all the time

they will nickel and dime a auction

In all fairness, if the F.F. 8 was a CGC 9.4, you know there would be nothing "nickel and dime" about the final price. If its a premium book, people will pay a premium on ebay more often than not. If its a sub 9.0 book, they will want a deal.

Chuck has lived in a fantasy realm of his own making for years. Uneducated buyers, many of whom never even knew there was such a thing as a Overstreet price guide, would buy from the man, with little or no grasp of grading or fair market value. (Has anyone ever seen the Mile High offerings on Amazon.com? Totally F'N nuts!)

The fact is, the modern information age combined with the premiums now being paid for comics has made for a much more savy buyer. And ultimately, informed and educated buyers are the antithesis of dealers like Chuck.

Just as a communion host is just another peice of bread until blessed by a priest,a comic is just a comic until Chuckie lays his hands on it, then it is sacred.C'mon now, don't you know this man took an oath? Are the words of Plato worth less because a cover was torn? I think not. While most dealers won't even check their back room to see if they have what you want, this Great Man rode the desert(in an non-aircondtioned truck) to bring these books to you. When you mock him, you really mock yourself. Buy now, or with the current rate of inflation,you will regret it in three short decades.

yeah thats the one and i almost got that spidey 135 9.4,but i got the wolvrine and i got the xmen 394 cgc 9.8 $14. im not sure why they were having such low bins but i wish i would have got that spidey 893frustrated.gif