• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Two Watchmen #1 CGC 9.8s for sale on eBay

31 posts in this topic

All of a sudden there are two Watchmen #1 CGC 9.8 comics for sale on eBay from different sellers. Considering there is only 7 CGC 9.8 in the census this seems unusual and a wonderful opportunity for anyone interested in a HG of Watchmen #1.

Here are the two links to the auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=004

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=018

I'm tapped out at the moment and so cannot bid, but it will be interesting to see what they go for. According to GP Analysis the 12 month average for this book is $731.00.

I've been wondering. With only 7 copies CGCed at 9.8 (at this time) would it be possible to buy up most, if not all, of those copies and "corner" the market on Watchmen #1 CGC 9.8s? Just musing.

I've been wondering. With only 7 copies CGCed at 9.8 (at this time) would it be possible to buy up most, if not all, of those copies and "corner" the market on Watchmen #1 CGC 9.8s? Just musing.

Sure, you probably could corner the 7 9.8 copies of Watchmen #1. But what are you going to do with the many 9.8-quality raw copies sitting out there, when they start getting slabbed and flood the market after you drive up prices with your cornering binge?

...But what are you going to do with the many 9.8-quality raw copies sitting out there, when they start getting slabbed and flood the market after you drive up prices with your cornering binge?

After??

If one could possess all 7 copies, then I would suspect that by the time a "substantial amount more" were slabbed, the first 7 would already be sold, sent, and be a distant memory...?

Or has CGC gotten a LOT faster since I last made a submission? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Rick

...But what are you going to do with the many 9.8-quality raw copies sitting out there, when they start getting slabbed and flood the market after you drive up prices with your cornering binge?

After??

If one could possess all 7 copies, then I would suspect that by the time a "substantial amount more" were slabbed, the first 7 would already be sold, sent, and be a distant memory...?

Or has CGC gotten a LOT faster since I last made a submission? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Rick

I think CGC has gotten much better in its turnaround times, particularly for Moderns like Watchmen.

Anyways, since he was talking about "cornering", I assumed he would acquire all 7 and hold on to them for some period of time. I was really just trying to point out that although there are only 7 slabbed 9.8 copies of Watchmen #1 in the world, he shouldn't be under any illusions that there aren't a whole lot more out there. There are, they just haven't been slabbed yet. This was a hugely popular book because it was Alan Moore at the height of his popularity. It ain't scarce in NM, NM+ or NM/M.

I was really just trying to point out that although there are only 7 slabbed 9.8 copies of Watchmen #1 in the world, he shouldn't be under any illusions that there aren't a whole lot more out there. There are, they just haven't been slabbed yet. This was a hugely popular book because it was Alan Moore at the height of his popularity. It ain't scarce in NM, NM+ or NM/M.

Duly noted Tim.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That reminds me...I have about 10 copies of #1 I should add to my next batch of submissions (after wiping down the back covers, of course). grin.gif

Rick

All of a sudden there are two Watchmen #1 CGC 9.8 comics for sale on eBay from different sellers. Considering there is only 7 CGC 9.8 in the census this seems unusual and a wonderful opportunity for anyone interested in a HG of Watchmen #1.

Here are the two links to the auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=004

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=018

I'm tapped out at the moment and so cannot bid, but it will be interesting to see what they go for. According to GP Analysis the 12 month average for this book is $731.00.

I have sent 5 to 6 Watchmen 1 10.0's to CGC all to come back 9.6. That is one tough book to get in that 9.8 grade and I don't know why yet. 893whatthe.gif

But having two come up for sale at the same time is pretty amazing. As a collector if I had one I would not sell it.

I was very surprised that there were only 7 9.8's, but then I realized that only 154 copies have been submitted. 27_laughing.gif

There are no super high grade ones left to submit. That is why the price is so high for a 9.8. If there were some out there then CGC would be swamped with submissions of WM 1. The astute in the know collectors know this JC.

There are no super high grade ones left to submit. The astute in the know collectors know this JC.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Are you for real?

You're actually saying, on an international forum, that there are NO super high-grade copies out there, and by effect, that there will NEVER be another CGC 9.8, ever?

And people who disagree with this statement, are by your definition, "unknowledgable collectors", right?

There are no super high grade ones left to submit. The astute in the know collectors know this JC.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Are you for real?

You're actually saying, on an international forum, that there are NO super high-grade copies out there, and by effect, that there will NEVER be another CGC 9.8, ever?

And people who disagree with this statement, are by your definition, "unknowledgable collectors", right?

JC my tongue was in my cheek................... yeahok.gif

Are you for real?

Do you have any Watchmen 1's you want to sell me. Nm of course.

That is one tough book to get in that 9.8 grade and I don't know why yet. 893whatthe.gif

The back cover man. The black shiny back cover. If a copy was ever handled then it will have finger prints on the back cover. I have never known a comic to get so many fingerprints as a Watchmen (any of them) on the back.

Do you have any Watchmen 1's you want to sell me. Nm of course.

Gee, it took you all of 3 seconds to whip old this old chestnut. I guess since it's a common book, I'll sell you CGC 9.8 candidates for a penny a piece, right? screwy.gif

I may actually see if I have any that qualify, as well as checking around on some unopened stock for potential CGC submission.

The key question, of course, is NOT what a CGC 9.8 sells for, but what a CGC 9.6 brings? Anyone got a GPA on that?