• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

San Antonio,Texas "JMV Comic Book Show" Sunday October 22,2006

15 posts in this topic

Just a friendly invitation to the next...

San Antonio,Texas

"JMV Comic Book Show"

Sunday October 22,2006

Crowne Plaza Hotel - San Antonio Airport

1111 NE Loop 410

(Loop 410 exit Nacogdoches Road)

Hours:10am -4pm Admission:$2.00

Early Buyer Admission:$5.00 (9am -10am)

Win a $100.00 shopping spree drawing at 3:30pm

Selling your collection ? Wanna make some fast cash ? Be a dealer !

Dealer Tables are only $50.00 each (25 - 6ft)

For more info contact:

JMV Entertainment

Po Box 151

Temple,Tx 76503

(254)760-8682

info@jmventertainment.com

www.jmventertainment.com

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

No Sir,

Why are planning to set up ?

Nope. Was out in West Texas driving a 35,000lb forklift all weekend...

So how was the show? How many dealers? What kind of attendance did you get? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Let's see if I can sum it up first...

-- Light but steady turnout.

-- Great deals being made on both sides of the table.

-- One dealer bought a really nice OO collection from an old lady.

-- Over run with high-end Latin (or insert random country of origin) tourists.

Let's see if I can sum it up first...

-- Light but steady turnout.

-- Great deals being made on both sides of the table.

-- One dealer bought a really nice OO collection from an old lady.

-- Over run with high-end Latin (or insert random country of origin) tourists.

Close, it went more like this:

"Sorry, but the show was cancelled/postponed/delayed due to unforeseen circumstances/an influx of shriners/a flood/an act of god/my computer froze up the night before and I couldn't access my list of dealer phone numbers to confirm that they were attending so I cancelled the show."

makepoint.gif

Actually the way it really went was...

We had 5 dealers and 63 people attended.Everyone there had a good time.

Fellow Forum member Bubba Gump was set up with his great wall display and 3 tables full of cream of the crop Silver Age / Bronze Age / Modern Comics.His sales were down from last show because 2 of his regulars were tied up with Sunday football games but he did some buying from the other dealers.The other dealers were selling mostly modern stuff but some had silver age and vintage western comics.

Collectors were pleased with the all comic book show format.

The next San Antonio JMV Comic Book Show will be on Sunday January 21,2007

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

I find it a little scary when depending on whether 1 or 2 regulars show up makes a real difference in sales. That's just me--and I just did a horrible show two weeks ago, the worst I've ever had in California. So I'm feeling pretty burned right now. OTOH, I did meet some new buyers who will eventually through future private sales put that show in the black. Barely.

My hats off to anyone who promotes shows--very tough these days.

Marc

Marc,

Thanks for the morale boost.One day Comic Book Shows are hard to promote these days with so few "full time" dealers willing to set up at smaller one day shows anymore.

And it's true not having one or 2 regular deep pocket customers at a show can really blow a dealers day.

I watched a lot of customers Sunday spend hours going thru a dealers box of grab bag comics ($7.00 for 25 vfn -nm modern comics).

While in the same dealer room another dealer sold about $350 worth of silver and bronze age Marvels in about 15 minutes.

Of course that was his only big sale of the day.

Well, there's something to be said for having limited competition too. If there are only four other dealers and one can meet 63 collectors, that's not horrible because you'll probably get a chance to talk to them all. This assumes you have a setup that can lead to future sales, like we do.

In the Bay Area you have so many dealers and amateur dealers and people dumping their collections for nothing that it's kind of tough when there aren't many people or much money in the room.

Marc

Jeez...I just wish there was a regular show in my area so I can get to selling comics again... frustrated.gif

Jim

there has to be shows in anytime/anywhere come on jim.