• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For Sale: Fantastic Four #1 CGC'd !!

67 posts in this topic

Yes.. I've looked over the GPA myself... but that well tell one side of the story. Past performance. There is also consideration given to availability of the book in certain grades. How key the book is. Seller's time frame and the right buyer. This is one book I'm not worried will move, nor concerned about moving. If it sells then great, if it doesn't, then great. If someone can find this book and pay only $2,300 to $2,700 then tell me and I'll buy another.

Availability of the book in certain grades and how key the book is are already factored into the GPA data. Chances are that when collectors interested in investment books on the market, he/she will do some research before bidding/purchasing. So the data at GPA reflects the fact that collectors go to CGC consensus, overstreet, heritage auctions archive, etc.

How key the book is...hmm. If someone decides to dish out $2300 for a book, they bloody hell better know what they are getting!

my 2 cents.

Pete

Havent we already had GPA threads already? Some people think it tells the whole story, others not so much.

Hi Guys, I'm placing my Fantastic Four #1 up and taking offers at this point. I do have a price point set in my mind ... Thanks guys thumbsup2.gif

It is helpful to post the price you have in mind at the beginning. This gives any interested party a starting point of negotiation. Good luck with what appears to be a fantastic book.

Dan

that attitude just makes me want to buy stuff from you immediately

I liked you better BEFORE you were a huge .

Whole heartedly agree.

Ouch....has there been a lot of dickdom going on? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

they must be comparing them confused-smiley-013.gif

I kind of enjoy seeing the GPA from both sides. A lot of sales end up there but there are quite a few that don't. I have made a couple of large purchases from big dealers that haven't gone into the GPA. If they did, the average for the books would change quite drastically. Meaning if another 2 FF#1 MOD (P) in CGC 8.0 sold for 5K (Hypothetical) and didn't show on GPA the average would infact be much higher than shown. If they were added into the average it would possibly make a GPA fanatic much more comfortable with your price. The price listed for the 1 sale in 8.0 on GPA at $2300 may be corrupted for many reasons. Perhaps that one was trimmed or it had a large piece added to the center of the front cover or the pages were light tan. Any number of things can affect it (Although there were other sales around it in different degrees of resto).

Your price is your price and that's how it should be. If it is too high no one will buy it and if it is right the book will be in a new home. To avoid people jumping on you though give them some idea of the price you have in mind. It can turn people away to have a book offered with no price or range. If it is for sale it should have a price. (My 2 cents) sign-rantpost.gif

Good luck with the sale!

What's wrong with someone looking to get the most they can from a very collectible book? If this book were in even the 3k range I would have taken out a loan to buy it. I am not sure of many individuals that put an item up for sale going "how much of a beating can I afford to take".

I just hapen to be looking at a October 2006 CBG with Comic Heavens auction listing and in it they have a FF #1 Moderate P (likely raw) that they have priced at $4,800. The minimum bid was 75% of that price....or $3,600

Maybe this puts the pricing into perspective a little......I'm not sure if the book sold, but if it did, it sold for over 1.5 x last slabbed GPA.

Next time I'll keep my opinions to myself, didn't mean to open up a can of worms on your thread Paul. I wouldn't have mentioned anything if you had posted a price. You seemed like a motivated seller on the AF15 and I figured it was the same with this book. $2300 to $2700 is the motivated price found on GPA via ebay etc.

Ed

What's wrong with someone looking to get the most they can from a very collectible book? If this book were in even the 3k range I would have taken out a loan to buy it. I am not sure of many individuals that put an item up for sale going "how much of a beating can I afford to take".

sign-funnypost.gif and good point thumbsup2.gif

Yes.. I've looked over the GPA myself... but that well tell one side of the story. Past performance. There is also consideration given to availability of the book in certain grades. How key the book is. Seller's time frame and the right buyer. This is one book I'm not worried will move, nor concerned about moving. If it sells then great, if it doesn't, then great. If someone can find this book and pay only $2,300 to $2,700 then tell me and I'll buy another.

Availability of the book in certain grades and how key the book is are already factored into the GPA data. Chances are that when collectors interested in investment books on the market, he/she will do some research before bidding/purchasing. So the data at GPA reflects the fact that collectors go to CGC consensus, overstreet, heritage auctions archive, etc.

How key the book is...hmm. If someone decides to dish out $2300 for a book, they bloody hell better know what they are getting!

my 2 cents.

Pete

Havent we already had GPA threads already? Some people think it tells the whole story, others not so much.

Uh huh. You missed my point of my thread.

Next time I'll keep my opinions to myself, didn't mean to open up a can of worms on your thread Paul. I wouldn't have mentioned anything if you had posted a price. You seemed like a motivated seller on the AF15 and I figured it was the same with this book. $2300 to $2700 is the motivated price found on GPA via ebay etc.

Ed

Ed, totally see where you're coming from with the idea of "motivated" pricing vs. my theory of "priced NOT to move" 27_laughing.gif No worries buddy!!! I am motivated to a degree but I'm not motivate to (in my mind) give away. A slabbed book certainly takes away alot of the mystery when selling the book and I'm confident it won't last long.

OK Gang.. The book is now in the process of being listed on Doug and Mark's site. I've set the price tag at $6500.00 893whatthe.gif You're probably wondering why!?!? It's simple, there's no mystery to it. I'm going to compensate for the commission paid and haggle room. This is not rocket science. thumbsup2.gif

my 2 cents.

Pete

IMO this statement is right-on.

GPA is in essence a statisical analysis whose validity increases with the number of observations. For infrequently exchanged (reported) books it is less likely to be accurate and many variables (including PQ, QP, "hotness") can impact what a newly offered slab will command. For more common oft-exchanged books, it is highly unlikely that a new slab will sell out of the range reported by GPA.

So if the FF#1 in question has enough of these positive variables, it will likely, at best, sell at the high end of the range of reported CGC Mod (P) 8.0 because FF#1 is a common, oft-traded book. To think that you'll get much more is really a pipe dream, unless the general perception of this book changes significantly from what it is now.

That is not to say you are within your right to price the book higher. I price certain books much higher than GPA because I'd rather keep them than sell them for GPA because they are worth more to me. This sounds like your situation. But to assume you'll easily get a price more than 2 standard deviations > GPA high is unrealistic.

It's fine to proud of this book. I would keep it. At least for several years until the market begins to appreciate it and value it more.

Definitely all valid opinions and I've thought every angle and scenario out myself. I've covered all these thoughts myself. Here's some better hi-res scans of the book itself. The others that I first posted look a little too grainy like an eBay scammer 27_laughing.gif

Collin, you're spot on.. I am being aggressive and it's for the simple fact that it's not a required sale. But every man has his price, as much as I've enjoyed the book. I can be bougthen too. 27_laughing.gif

FF1Front.jpg

FF2Back.jpg