• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

double action comics #1
3 3

153 posts in this topic

thats a one of a kind piece and a bit large for a false entry anyway. Ialways thought Bobs additions were small stuff, or made up descriptions or an extra issue of something like DA#1 would be. But, I have no real info on this.

In another thread, I asked if anyone could confirm the existence of Flash Gordon (Harvey) #5, but got no response. It's one I've wondered about as well. It was supposedly one of the issues that was only mailed to subscribers. Has anyone ever seen one of these?

In another thread, I asked if anyone could confirm the existence of Flash Gordon (Harvey) #5, but got no response. It's one I've wondered about as well. It was supposedly one of the issues that was only mailed to subscribers. Has anyone ever seen one of these?

yes, a long time ago at a comicon, same publisher Harvey also did a B&W small size mailed only to subscribers for Boy Explorers #2 four years earlier in 1946

yes, a long time ago at a comicon, same publisher Harvey also did a B&W small size mailed only to subscribers for Boy Explorers #2 four years earlier in 1946

Thanks Bob! I have seen copies of All-New #15, Boy Explorers #2 and Stuntman #3, which were the other small B&W subscriber-only issues, but never the Flash Gordon. Also, Gerber lists the other three but not Flash Gordon and that was what was making me think it might be one of the fake OPG listings.

Damn, I guess I have a new grail to search for now. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks Bob! I have seen copies of All-New #15, Boy Explorers #2 and Stuntman #3, which were the other small B&W subscriber-only issues, but never the Flash Gordon. Also, Gerber lists the other three but not Flash Gordon and that was what was making me think it might be one of the fake OPG listings.

Damn, I guess I have a new grail to search for now. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I always stayed away from the B&W comic books as a rule, those issues with no color covers at least such as these sub only editions,

as the Eerie #1 B&W "ashcan" was reprinted at least a couple times, and i always thought it couldbe done to other issues,

especially after the Cerebus #1 bootleg brou-ha-ha back in the day, when i called the FBI and broke the case, being across state lines, the crime factor was higher

According to the MATS (Moondog Ashcan Tracking System) wink.gif I'm sure the book that Jack's holding is the copy that Mark now owns.

Right, Mark?

Well it is definitely one of the two of us unless there is another copy we don't know about!

I followed up with Matt, and says the book did have the writing on the cover. So, it just goes to show that I am getting senile..or just too many books have passed through my hands to remember them all.

So, it looks like you did get Jack''s copy after all Mark. By the by, it wasn't quite "bought"...PM for details if you'd care to.

thats a one of a kind piece and a bit large for a false entry anyway. Ialways thought Bobs additions were small stuff, or made up descriptions or an extra issue of something like DA#1 would be. But, I have no real info on this.

That makes sense. If I were him I would have made my intentional error something like naming the wrong artist for howard the duck #17 as opposed to a high profile GA book. A DA #1 intentional error would damage his credibility, not so a lesser book.

According to the MATS (Moondog Ashcan Tracking System) wink.gif I'm sure the book that Jack's holding is the copy that Mark now owns.

Right, Mark?

Well it is definitely one of the two of us unless there is another copy we don't know about!

I followed up with Matt, and says the book did have the writing on the cover. So, it just goes to show that I am getting senile..or just too many books have passed through my hands to remember them all.

So, it looks like you did get Jack''s copy after all Mark. By the by, it wasn't quite "bought"...PM for details if you'd care to.

PM sent! hi.gif

BTW, anyone know Stephen Browne? Or even know anything about him?

Hey Gary, whatever happened to the Action Funnies #1 ashcan that Malette was pedaling for a while? I know it ended up with Marnin and Scott Whaley at one point, but I haven't seen it since.

Marnin Rosenberg? Or is there a Marnin Whaley?

you mean they WEREN"T married??? I'm stunned. I always thought they were...

I believe Jack got his copy from Bill Thailing. And the story behind it was the kid was given the book from DC because he was a crusader against Wertham. I'm not sure how Thailing ended up with it.

Marnin called me on this book 10 years ago after they bought it from Jack. Since I already owned two I passed on buying it (around 10 grand I believe...).

Still looks now like it did then!

Gary, you must be talking about David Pace Wigrinsky, a then 14 year old boy who took on Wertham in the pages of Saturday Review of Literature back in 1948

- and was written up in the anti-Wertham editorials marvel Timely published back that year. I would post the editorial, but do not have time right now to ferret it out of my holdings.

David Wriginsky was huge defender of comic books in the late 1940s - has to be this lad.

There was quite the controversy then in the SRofL because no one believed such an erudite well-versed lad could write like that - until his high school principal came to his defense.

David wrote about having 5000 different comic books then, having them back into the 1800s, amongst his defense of comic books amidst all the controversy which sprung up in 1948, there being a Town Hall Meeting on radio with Al Capp as defender of The Faith, among other haps.

I know some one very well who knew David well back then - they were friends

seems in 1960 David blew his brains out

That is how Bill Thailing got all David's books

there is way more to this story, but that is the 25 cent tour as Jon Stewart is coming on soon

david is written about in my forth-coming comics history book

I believe Jack got his copy from Bill Thailing. And the story behind it was the kid was given the book from DC because he was a crusader against Wertham. I'm not sure how Thailing ended up with it.

Marnin called me on this book 10 years ago after they bought it from Jack. Since I already owned two I passed on buying it (around 10 grand I believe...).

Gary, you must be talking about David Pace Wigrinsky, a then 14 year old boy who took on Wertham in the pages of Saturday Review of Literature back in 1948

- and was written up in the anti-Wertham editorials marvel Timely published back that year. I would post the editorial, but do not have time right now to ferret it out of my holdings.

David Wriginsky was huge defender of comic books in the late 1940s - has to be this lad.

There was quite the controversy then in the SRofL because no one believed such an erudite well-versed lad could write like that - until his high school principal came to his defense.

David wrote about having 5000 different comic books then, having them back into the 1800s, amongst his defense of comic books amidst all the controversy which sprung up in 1948, there being a Town Hall Meeting on radio with Al Capp as defender of The Faith, among other haps.

there is way more to this story, but that is the 25 cent tour as Jon Stewart is coming on soon

gruesome, but very interesting information Bob. Thanks!

No, Gary was referring to Stephen Browne. CBG reported back in the mid-1980s that he was a college or grad student in the 1950s who wrote a thesis critical of Wertham and that DC was so happy with it Browne was given a bunch of books to include the Action Funnies ashcan.

Of course, I have no clue as to the veracity of the story. I can only state what the article said.

No, Gary was referring to Stephen Browne. CBG reported back in the mid-1980s that he was a college or grad student in the 1950s who wrote a thesis critical of Wertham and that DC was so happy with it Browne was given a bunch of books to include the Action Funnies ashcan.

Of course, I have no clue as to the veracity of the story. I can only state what the article said.

That may very well be, i kind of remember that article.

My thinking was prompted by Bill Thailing ending up with it. He was pretty much out of dealing concepts in comics by the mid 1980s having been one of the powerhouse dealers in the 60s comes into the 70s.

Thailing lived in Ohio as did Wriginsky - and Wriginsky was welcomed by many of the publishers for his well-honed defense of comics in print.

happen to know the CBG number referenced? A friend sent me a complete run of TBG *spoon* CBG a couple years back - replaces my run lost in my warehouse flood back in 1986. I could look it up. I am unaware of this Brown thesis and now want to track it down.

That may very well be, i kind of remember that article.

My thinking was prompted by Bill Thailing ending up with it. He was pretty much out of dealing concepts in comics by the mid 1980s having been one of the powerhouse dealers in the 60s comes into the 70s.

Thailing lived in Ohio as did Wriginsky - and Wriginsky was welcomed by many of the publishers for his well-honed defense of comics in print.

happen to know the CBG number referenced? A friend sent me a complete run of TBG *spoon* CBG a couple years back - replaces my run lost in my warehouse flood back in 1986. I could look it up. I am unaware of this Brown thesis and now want to track it down.

I have it at home Bob. I will try to post it on the boards (though I recall the print may be too small) but at least will also e-mail it to you tonight.

Thanks for posting this Mark!!! That cinches it, the one in the picture I took of Mallette and Matt in my store is indeed yours. Congratulations on having such a storied book!

Thanks Bill, though I am more impressed that Gary has TWO COPIES!!!!! 893whatthe.gif