• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does an ebay seller know.....

22 posts in this topic

Does an ebay seller know what a bidder's max bid is during the auction? Is that how they get a friend to shill bid to just below your max?

No.

What they do is look at past auction winnings and try to determine patterns, OR they bid up in small increments so that it will come in just under your bid but not over it. For example, let's say you bid 44.44 on an item and the auction is at 38.38. The shill will bid in one dollar increments and it will increase in one dollar increments until he bids 44.38. Then he will stop cause when he puts in 44.38, the item will be at your maximum bid, which is up to $1.00 above his max bid of 44.38. Kind of complicated, but this is how it works. I learned this early. The hard way! foreheadslap.gif Now I just bid at the end so they can't 893censored-thumb.gif with me! frown.gif

If you want to know if a seller has a "friend" shill bidding for him check his previous auctions. Look at the bidders on his/her previous sales, check to see if a buyer makes repeated bids (but never wins). That seller MIGHT be crooked and having a friend shill bid for him. There are a lot more tell tale signs of shill bidders, but most clues are common sense. If purchasing a high dollar book make sure you do your research, also, make sure you are not drunk like I am right now. I hope this makes sense, for I am under the influence of Yukon Jack...the only thing good that comes out of Canada.....(you canadians I am just joking...no flame war here...)

Another way that I suspect is a follows.

A seller creates a shill account.

The seller has a few bids on an item so he puts his shill into action.

The shill places a $100,000 bid which then shows the underbidders maximum bid.

The shill then retracts his bid.

Then ths shill can re-enter a bid 10cents below the underbidders maximum.

I am sure I have seen this done as some E-bayers have loads of bid retractions but never actually buy anything.

Regards,

Russ...

Another way that I suspect is a follows.

A seller creates a shill account.

The seller has a few bids on an item so he puts his shill into action.

The shill places a $100,000 bid which then shows the underbidders maximum bid.

The shill then retracts his bid.

Then ths shill can re-enter a bid 10cents below the underbidders maximum.

I am sure I have seen this done as some E-bayers have loads of bid retractions but never actually buy anything.

Regards,

Russ...

I had someone do this before to figure out what my reserve was.

Your Canada bashing isn't funny.... gossip.gif
Yukon Jack is a weak beer as well. foreheadslap.gif

I've never even heard of it. insane.gif

It's made in the Yukon Territories. Had it last year when I had to go up to Whitehorse to work. angel.gif

Huh dude Yukon Jack is not beer, it's hard liquior. I'd spell it correctly if it didn't work so well....mmmmm canadian whisky.... insane.gif

Yukon Jack is weak whiskey foreheadslap.gif

Huh dude Yukon Jack is not beer, it's hard liquior. I'd spell it correctly if it didn't work so well....mmmmm canadian whisky.... insane.gif

them there are fightin' words. You calling me a puuuuusssaaayyy? mmmmm yukon..... yay.gif

Does an ebay seller know what a bidder's max bid is during the auction? Is that how they get a friend to shill bid to just below your max?

No.

What they do is look at past auction winnings and try to determine patterns, OR they bid up in small increments so that it will come in just under your bid but not over it. For example, let's say you bid 44.44 on an item and the auction is at 38.38. The shill will bid in one dollar increments and it will increase in one dollar increments until he bids 44.38. Then he will stop cause when he puts in 44.38, the item will be at your maximum bid, which is up to $1.00 above his max bid of 44.38. Kind of complicated, but this is how it works. I learned this early. The hard way! foreheadslap.gif Now I just bid at the end so they can't 893censored-thumb.gif with me! frown.gif

that makes sense.

What should happen between seller and buyer, if a bidder puts in an early high bid and a late bidder bids 5 or 6 times until the max bid is popped, but then retracts the last bid, leaving the previous max bidder the winner at nearly his max bid... when, obviously, this 5 time bidder was either a shill, or a non-serious bidder frustratedly rebidding to see what the max bid was, and having discovered it, reneges on their winning bid.

Shouldnt the seller be willing to work this out with the buyer when asked to revise the bidding?? OR should the seller be able to stonewall the winner by quoting Ebay rules for bidding?

This was not a comicbook.

My next question will be, how does the negative feedback system work?

them there are fightin' words. You calling me a puuuuusssaaayyy? mmmmm yukon..... yay.gif

Yukon Jack (the one our Paratrooper is talking about) is a "A honey-based canadian whiskey liqueur". I know, my wife and her Ladies Lunch Group drink it with them little sandwiches with the crusts cut off.

poke2.gif

Ubie X