• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics with cover about Viet Nam

12 posts in this topic

There are some very horrific/graphic black & white photos (mostly found on inside rear covers) of actual US soldiers posing with the heads of decapitated vietnam and viet kong on certain underground comics from the late 60's. I believe one of the them was a Skull Comics and/or a Slow Death. I wouldn't want to publish these images here because most of these books were confiscated by the US Government, and are highly disturbing, but if I do dig one up, I could tell you what the title and issues are and you can check them out yourself.

Again, as a fair warning, these are horrific images and were disseminated as a statement against America's involvement in the Vietnam war, and are mostly to do with the counter-culture, anti-american sentiments commonly found in books of this nature.

Can't remember the *exact* issue, but there's an awesome Superman/war/Vietnam cover by Joe Kubert with Supes/Clark up against a BIG Vietnamese guy... anyone else know this one?

Do Spidey 108/109 count - with Flash Thompson back from the war?

Good thread!

The covers of several Avengers around 130 depict scenes of Vietnam, but not the war.Avengers go to saigon in search of Mantis's past. She becomes Celastial Madonna and is never again heard from. Did they ever do anything else with this plotline?I think an issue or two of the second version of Savage Tales,circa 1986 had a few combat covers.

Can't remember the *exact* issue, but there's an awesome Superman/war/Vietnam cover by Joe Kubert with Supes/Clark up against a BIG Vietnamese guy... anyone else know this one?

Do Spidey 108/109 count - with Flash Thompson back from the war?

Good thread!

Here's the cover but the nemesis is a Yank under the influence of some secret drug! 893whatthe.gif

Superman216.JPG

The covers of several Avengers around 130 depict scenes of Vietnam, but not the war.Avengers go to saigon in search of Mantis's past. She becomes Celastial Madonna and is never again heard from. Did they ever do anything else with this plotline?

Warning: this thread is about to detour (a much better-mannered hijacking!)

Steve Englehart took Mantis with him (sort of) when he first left Marvel. The Celestial Madonna showed up in Justice League somewhere around JLA #143 as "Willow" (in I believe her only DCU appearance). Then later an avatar of the same character appeared in the Eclipse comic Scorpio Rose. Can't recall the name used in Scorpio Rose, but Scorpio herself was a doppelganger of DC's Madame Xanadu. Apparently DC shelved or rejected a couple of Englehart/Rogers Madame X productions, so they modified them, took them to Eclipse where they were published as Scorpio Rose.

Willow was pregnant at the time of JLA... if I remember correctly her Eclipse version had a young Messiah-esque child she was protecting from-- as they say-- the forces of evil.

893offtopic1.gif

Z.

There are some very horrific/graphic black & white photos (mostly found on inside rear covers) of actual US soldiers posing with the heads of decapitated vietnam and viet kong on certain underground comics from the late 60's. I believe one of the them was a Skull Comics and/or a Slow Death. I wouldn't want to publish these images here because most of these books were confiscated by the US Government, and are highly disturbing, but if I do dig one up, I could tell you what the title and issues are and you can check them out yourself.

Again, as a fair warning, these are horrific images and were disseminated as a statement against America's involvement in the Vietnam war, and are mostly to do with the counter-culture, anti-american sentiments commonly found in books of this nature.

Skull #6... wink.gif

Thanks Rick.

I was actually going to say #6 when I originally posted, and include this link on ebay , but I wanted to make certain.

BTW: #6 is the one with the macabre ringmaster, and the golem carrying the coffin (lower comic with the blue background).

Thanks Rick.

I was actually going to say #6 when I originally posted, and include this link on ebay , but I wanted to make certain.

BTW: #6 is the one with the macabre ringmaster, and the golem carrying the coffin (lower comic with the blue background).

No problemo Joe...trust me...I don't know 1/10 of what you know about these books...Skull #6 just happens to be 1 of my few undergrounds that I own and I had quick access to it.. 893applaud-thumb.gif.

That is a particularly gruesome issue... crazy.gif