• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

#15 ...

24 posts in this topic

I just picked this up today at a local con and thought I would display it in a thread of it's own..it's a book that I have wanted to aquire ever since I heard of it's existance in the 70's ...never thought I would find one yet here it is...

According to OS there are " 13 known copies" yet the census shows 14 graded copies ...so I guess this will be #15 after I get it graded... 893applaud-thumb.gif

bloodharvest.jpg

An exceptional book to say the least.....here's esquirecomics copy which was post in the Gold Age Thead Post Your Promotional Comic Books Here!!!!

Several of my special collections overlap in that, for example, many anti-communist comics were also promotional comics. Here are some:

For 15 or so years the Catechetical Guild Educational Society produced some of the most virulent anti-communist books. Here is one of their holy grails. Approximately 16 copies are known to exist.

BloodistheHarvest.jpg

Only 5 copies are known to exist of the B/W version.

BloodistheHarvestBW.jpg

15, 17 it wouldn't matter to me, I'd love you own a copy..!!

Yeah...that's kind of how I feel also...I paid a good amount for the book but it's just one of those that if you pass it by you may never see another...I remember reading about the book ...I believe...in The Buyers Guide for Comic Fandom way back in the 70's and it's stuck in my mind since...when Esquire posted his copy awhile back it energized my interest in it and when I saw the book I knew I had to have it... smile.gif

I've been trying hard to stick with westerns but that thread of Esquire's conjured up Cold War menories.....steamin' in the Sea of Japan, Koren/Taiwan Straits while playin' tag with Russian Destoryers, picket station in the South China Sea and NGFS in the Gulf of Tonkin.....

I'd be buyin' CW promotionals if I had better access to books...without a doubt..!!

15, 17 it wouldn't matter to me, I'd love you own a copy..!!

Yeah...that's kind of how I feel also...I paid a good amount for the book but it's just one of those that if you pass it by you may never see another...I remember reading about the book ...I believe...in The Buyers Guide for Comic Fandom way back in the 70's and it's stuck in my mind since...when Esquire posted his copy awhile back it energized my interest in it and when I saw the book I knew I had to have it... smile.gif

How do you know you might not actually have one of the 13 "known" copies? These puppies surfaced decades ago out of Minneapolis area - neat books, never seen these Catholic comic books surface in a collection of stuff anywhere in the country

just curious

How do you know you might not actually have one of the 13 "known" copies?

All I know is what OS says ("13 known copies") and the amount of books on the census (14 total with 1 restored)... wink.gif

How do you know you might not actually have one of the 13 "known" copies?

All I know is what OS says ("13 known copies") and the amount of books on the census (14 total with 1 restored)... wink.gif

Remember with the census that someone can crack a book resubmit and then not hand in the old label and screw up the census a bit.

This is true... crazy.gif

All i am getting at is as far as i know, no copies ever surfaced actually inside an original owner collection - books from the Guild created quite a stir when they first surfaced

- and with this company i make zero claim to being any kind of expert

I just picked this up today at a local con and thought I would display it in a thread of it's own..it's a book that I have wanted to aquire ever since I heard of it's existance in the 70's ...never thought I would find one yet here it is...

According to OS there are " 13 known copies" yet the census shows 14 graded copies ...so I guess this will be #15 after I get it graded... 893applaud-thumb.gif

bloodharvest.jpg

Is this the copy from the East Hartford CT show?

This is true... crazy.gif

All i am getting at is as far as i know, no copies ever surfaced actually inside an original owner collection - books from the Guild created quite a stir when they first surfaced

- and with this company i make zero claim to being any kind of expert

The dealer I purchased this from said that he had aquired it from an auction (not online)...I will perhaps try to get more info from him at the next show... thumbsup2.gif

That is an awesome pick-up!!! Congratulations! It is a really cool book and a great addition to any collection.

I believe the 13 known copies listed in OPG came about when CGC ran a promo saying they would slab any copies presented to them. Since then someone else slabbed another copy, and I know of at least 2-3 others (including the one Rich Henn sold a few months ago).

The Cathetical Guild books still remain a mystery. There are definitely more copies around than people think, though still quite rare.

CGC ran a promo saying they would slab any copies presented to them.

Does anyone know if this is still in affect???...I'm definatly getting it graded for posterity and free is better than not... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif