• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Media Mail...

21 posts in this topic

Sturdy packaging is the key when using media mail, or even parcel post. Because these methods tend to take longer to deliver, they are more prone to getting bumped and dinged.

Certainly that can happen when using any shipping method, but a good rule of thumb is to pack well.

They use the same method to ship as First Class but they get skipped if the plane or truck is full. After a certain time amount (2-3 days) if it hasn't shipped by then, it gets treated as first class.

Handling care is equal as First class (for better or worse). If you can get to the PO within a day of a sale and its not Christmas or Mothers Day week, nobody will even be able to tell it was shipped media.

Please be aware SOME post offices stamp on the package "Subject to Inspection". They are aware that comics are NOT allowed as media mail because they have ads on them. If it is discovered through inspection, the recieving party will get a postage due fee.....

Please be aware SOME post offices stamp on the package "Subject to Inspection". They are aware that comics are NOT allowed as media mail because they have ads on them. If it is discovered through inspection, the recieving party will get a postage due fee.....

All depends on what PO is checking. Some look at old comics as having "Dead" ads and have no problem with it. Others will only let you send it as BPM. The PO needs to get their act together.

All I cnn say is that my experience receiving Media Mail has been completely bad 5 transactions have been no shows(probably not seller's fault), 5 extremely long (more than 15 business days) and 1 was suprised I ever received it(1 month 20 days). So, save yourself the agony and ship it priority.

Have probably sent 500-700 packages media mail. 1 got lost, another was returned to me with just the envelope. looks like someone had sliced it open and didn't bother taping it back up, so the book inside (a $5 art book, not a comic) fell out.

But I have had some packages to, for example, CA from NYC take a month. Sure, usually around the holidays, but even a few weeks ago something took 2-3 weeks to Washington. Priority generally is 2-4 days with a week being the longest.

It's a good option, just add Delivery Confirmation for an additional $.60 if you want a way to track it. It will still be way cheaper than Priority. It can be like taking the "slow boat to China" if it's going from one coast to the other, but it saves on cost.

I don't use Media Mail anymore as I have run into too many problems over the last couple of months.

Postage due arrivals, 5-6 week delivery times, postal inspections, etc.

The PO doesn't care whether an ad is old or new and toro said something about "dead" ads...

I can promise you there is nothing whatsoever in the Postal rules and regs code that says or defines anything about "dead ads".

Avoid the hassle, ship it first class or priority.

As a buyer, I don't like media mail. I always have to wait 2 to 3 weeks for a media mail package vs. a couple days for priority. To me spending $5 for postage is worth it when I pay $100 for a comic book. When I buy a comic that has survived the elements 60 years, the last thing I want to do is let the post office handle it for 3 weeks. No offense to anyone who works at the post office, but allowing that much time in transit allows for more risk of damage or loss.

As a seller, I won't ship media mail. I like having happy buyers when they get their package in 2 days.

All depends on what PO is checking. Some look at old comics as having "Dead" ads and have no problem with it. Others will only let you send it as BPM. The PO needs to get their act together.

I was told two different things by the PO. So to be on the safe side I ship BPM. There is little, if any cost difference.

I was told two different things by the PO. So to be on the safe side I ship BPM. There is little, if any cost difference.

Take the time to print the zone charts. Same zone BPM is much cheaper than media. 1 zone out and BPM is still a little cheaper or same. 2 or more zones and BPM starts getting a lot more expensive compared to media. Media is a flat rate by weight. Doesn't matter if it goes next door or to Alaska.

Seems this comes up every so often.

First, for those that don't know, I am a Window Clerk at the Post Office.

Comic books cannot ship media mail because they have ads in them. They can, however, go as Bound Printed Matter. The time and price will be very similiar.

There is nothing in the regs about "dead ads" at all.

That being said, if you come to my window to mail comics and they are at least 6 months old, I consider them to be used books of which the ads are irrelevant, and I will ship them media mail if you wish. Until the Postal Service sets a specific policy in writing on the matter, I will continue to do this. I have twice sent emails to my higher-ups and they have never responded. My Supervisor is aware of my approach and has no problem with it.

I've had three Media Mail envelopes sent to me that were open for inspection. Two of the three had postage due when they got to my door, reason being; the seller cut up a Priority Mail Box to use for cardboard backing. The balance due was Priority Mail Flat Rate, for use of USPS Priority Mail Box, minus the cost of postage of the original envelope.

Seems this comes up every so often.

First, for those that don't know, I am a Window Clerk at the Post Office.

Comic books cannot ship media mail because they have ads in them. They can, however, go as Bound Printed Matter. The time and price will be very similiar.

There is nothing in the regs about "dead ads" at all.

That being said, if you come to my window to mail comics and they are at least 6 months old, I consider them to be used books of which the ads are irrelevant, and I will ship them media mail if you wish. Until the Postal Service sets a specific policy in writing on the matter, I will continue to do this. I have twice sent emails to my higher-ups and they have never responded. My Supervisor is aware of my approach and has no problem with it.

Can you confirm or deny the following:

If you have 2 items to send. 1 is a piece of sheet music (ok for media) and 1 is a brand new comic (not ok for media). These can go media because item #1 is valid and there is a regulation stating that it is ok when at least a portion of the shipment is valid. I actually have the regulation # (or postal code-- not sure what its called) I would have to look it up though. But basically it read like a loophole where someone could mail a boat load of comics media mail if they included a piece of sheet music (or any other valid media mail item).

Just wondering if there is any truth to that.

You would have to show me that regulation. We are told everything in the package must be eligible for media except an invoice or correspondance(sp) that would deal directly with the item (such as a bill for the book).

You would have to show me that regulation. We are told everything in the package must be eligible for media except an invoice or correspondance(sp) that would deal directly with the item (such as a bill for the book).

I've got the following

E713 1.2 Loose Enclosures

Is that enough to go on?