• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collectibles of the Future?

78 posts in this topic

This question warranted a second post. The variants that are in demand are the ones that are re-painted with original card artwork and character profiles that are completely unique to that country. The following are from Argentina and Brazil and these are just a few examples. Anyone interested in more should search through the archives of yojoe.com, the best information resource on the web for this toy line.

I'm not done with the American series yet, so I haven't started on these. Pricing data is hard to find, and some I've never seen offered for sale. The "Ninja-Ku" and "Cobra Satan" are pretty available for some reason, and go for around $100 each MOC. "Cobra de aco", "Cobra Mortal", and "Cobra Invasor" I've never seen for sale MOC, and loose examples go for around $100-$200 or more depending on condition.

There are U.K versions of this line called "Action Force", Indian versions, German, etc...

'O Captain, my Captain... solid info - all great stuff! YO JOE ! thumbsup2.gif

Someone earlier mentioned to "... watch for what folks are throwing out today." - YEP! I also agree w/ that and that whole 20-25yr. rule, as people age they always look back towards the passions of their youth! cloud9.gif

Video Games? Not too sure... their collectible nature likely weighs more on production rarity or being MIB perhaps, than popularity? Y or N?

Great thread... popcorn.gif

That was an interesting article. On that note here's an article on Horror video games through the years. http://www.videogamecritic.net/halloween.htm

Video Games? Not too sure... their collectible nature likely weighs more on production rarity or being MIB perhaps, than popularity? Y or N?

Without a doubt. Production rarity or condition rarity or both. The super mario/ duck hunt cartridge is immensely popular but only worth like 25c or something. A sealed super mario is a couple hundred bucks though, even though still not all that rare.

Every play Dracula X on the PC Engine. It will cost you around $125, but I think its my favorite Castlevania. I disagree with some of those ratings also, but love some of those games.... cloud9.gif

Every play Dracula X on the PC Engine. It will cost you around $125, but I think its my favorite Castlevania. I disagree with some of the ratings also, but its got some great games.

That came out for Super NES as well, right? I tried to buy it several times in the past, but it was just too pricey.

Honestly I haven't played it for the NES. But I heard it didn't have all the levels and multible finishes. I was one of those few guys who owned a Turbo Graphix. Splatterhouse was another great game.

Every play Dracula X on the PC Engine. It will cost you around $125, but I think its my favorite Castlevania. I disagree with some of the ratings also, but its got some great games.

That came out for Super NES as well, right? I tried to buy it several times in the past, but it was just too pricey.

yeah, its supposed to be better on pc engine (haven't tried it) but still pretty good either way from what I hear.

A really easy way to play a lot of these older games without shelling out the costs for the hardware is getting an emulator. Its easy to pick up a TurboDuo emulator for the Mac or PC. A few games don't work, but Dracula X worked perfectly.

Although this has probably been mentioned, a problem with future collectibles is obsolescence. I have collected both records and comics. The value of records has fallen because they require turntables, which no one owns anymore. The records that were rare before still are, even if there is a cd release or digital download but people just don't have as much interest because they don't want to bother with owning a turntable.

Comic books have remained popular because the comic book that was sold in 1939 still can be easily enjoyed. As long as the paper survives, it can still be enjoyed today the same as when it was new. Same with coins, stamps, and baseball cards.

The videogames without a working game console, just like betamax tapes, laserdiscs, VHS tapes, 8 track tapes, 78 rpm records, etc. can lose their value when the players used to enjoy them no longer function or are no longer made.

It'll be interesting to see what becomes collectible in the future. Will today's kids be nostalgic about the digital song downloads for their ipods?

A really easy way to play a lot of these older games without shelling out the costs for the hardware is getting an emulator. Its easy to pick up a TurboDuo emulator for the Mac or PC. A few games don't work, but Dracula X worked perfectly.

I used to have NES and coin-op emulators. Great fun.

I sold my opened and well used CC hooded figure 3 years ago on ebay for $89 us.

I still have my Atari system(rarer wood grain version) and 100 or so games, NES & SNES. I still play the SNES more then even my Playstation2. The old games are cool, its fun to try and remember all the tricks I learned as a kid for those systems.

Is the Hooded CC worth more (since you had to send away for it)?

My generation was right on the cusp so all three were popular (til the 90s crash came ) Games and figures are fledgling hobbies both at this point but lots of three and four figure sales already. I think its entirely likely that those hobbies, or hobbies like them, will gain some serious steam. There's a lot of GI Joe/ transformer nerds out there

As you know, I've spent the last few weeks swimming in nostalgia.

Collecting will be around for our generation at least. wink.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...N%3AIT&rd=1

Man, those are great!!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I'm guessing that either Storm Shadow or the original Snake Eyes bring the most money? Surprised original Cobra Commander was that much less than Storm Shadow. He was always tough to find back in the day.

Is the Hooded CC worth more (since you had to send away for it)?

What other Joes bring big $$$? I'd guess Firefly would be pretty far up.

Besides coins,jewelry,artworks,and artifacts...what else has survived centuries as being collectible? There have had to have been things around every era that were collected for generations,only to have faded away over time. Enjoy your hobbies and collectibles.Don't think of them as investments to pass on to your children,and your childrens children. Most will probably not even care about this stuff 50-75 years from now. frown.gif

Besides coins,jewelry,artworks,and artifacts...what else has survived centuries as being collectible?

Have you ever seen Antiques Roadshow? There are a countless number of items that I never would have thought would have a market, but suprisingly they do. Talk to any antique dealers who knows their stuff, and they can provide you with an endless list of collectible items that are centuries old, beyond Jewelry, artwork and artifacts.

Enjoy your hobbies and collectibles.Don't think of them as investments to pass on to your children,and your childrens children.

This I can definetly agree with.

Have you ever seen Antiques Roadshow? There are a countless number of items that I never would have thought would have a market, but suprisingly they do.

But a lot of that is hyperbole. I've watched that show with friends, one of which is a pretty high-end antique dealer, and she kind of rolls her eyes at the prices stated.

One of her favorite responses when one of the hosts trots out a bizarre item and says "At auction this would fetch $10,000 pounds..." is "What auction and where?", as in, it can be very difficult to sell much of this stuff, many of these esoteric items do not have specific auctions, most have very small markets, and it can be very tough (and take years) to find the right buyer.

But of course, they do not tell you that on the show.

Have you ever seen Antiques Roadshow? There are a countless number of items that I never would have thought would have a market, but suprisingly they do.

But a lot of that is hyperbole. I've watched that show with friends, one of which is a pretty high-end antique dealer, and she kind of rolls her eyes at the prices stated.

One of her favorite responses when one of the hosts trots out a bizarre item and says "At auction this would fetch $10,000 pounds..." is "What auction and where?", as in, it can be very difficult to sell much of this stuff, many of these esoteric items do not have specific auctions, most have very small markets, and it can be very tough (and take years) to find the right buyer.

But of course, they do not tell you that on the show.

That may be true, but it still dosen't mean they're not collectible. Even if what they claim would fetch "$10,000 pounds" really would only sell for $1,000 pounds, it's still a collectible, which is the point I'm trying to make.

As I said, I think the idea that "collecting" in general will die out is absurd. It's a behaviour that will always be present, regardless of what is actually being collected.

As I said, I think the idea that "collecting" in general will die out is absurd. It's a behaviour that will always be present, regardless of what is actually being collected.

That I can agree with. It's a genetic thing (with males mostly) that as we get older, we naturally look back to when we were younger, to simpler times.

But it's all a fantasy anyway, and as Ken Dryden said, "Things are never as good as in the old days -- and they never were."

Words to live by.