• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1955 oddity.

6 posts in this topic

This magazine sized comic from 1955 is a recent ebay pickup. Actually an all-comics (aside from advertising) issue of the Stanford Chaparral, an unofficial college humor magazine put out by the Hammer & Coffin Society, it contains 1/2 - 2 pg. parodies of mostly newspaper strips, but also a weak Superman parody. While it may seem inspired by Mad Magazine, a quick search on the net indicates earlier (annual?) issues dating back possibly as far as 1948. One was titled Purple Ape Crash Comics (love that title). Fairly recent issues appear to exist as well, but no indication that there have been regular issues over the decades. Any Stanford alumni out there familiar with this title?

The main appeal to me beyond the proto-underground look of the book, is the wild cover - more in line with something found in 1960/70s fanzines than 50s humor mags. I have no clue what happened to Bill Davis, the cover artist, but I love the way he drew the creature.

crash.jpg

As you can see the Superman parody is poorly concieved and drawn - pg.2 is no better.

crashsupes.jpg

This Bringing Up Father parody is more successful, bith conceptually and artistically. Note the refrences to Dr. Frederick Wertham throughout - the whole strip is part commentary on Wertham's championing Bringing Up Father as "healthy vulgarity" in contrast to what appears in comic books.

crashbuf.jpg