• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HISTORY CHANNEL SPECIAL ON COMICS TONIGHT 9PM!!!!!!

91 posts in this topic

Sure, it's good. In fact, it's very good...If you're a Timely or DC fan. Love how so little was mentioned of other major players during the Golden Era...I.E. MLJ Publishing, Centaur, Fox, Nedor, etc. EVERY book was a Timely or DC. I think I saw a single Exciting or Thrilling cover. They DON'T tell you how Captain America was FORCED to change his look or get sued by MLJ, of which created The Shield & Dusty, 14 months prior to Captain America. Also, Pep Comics #4 referenced Pearl Harbor (May 1940). Oh wait I forgot Timely and DC were the only 2 publishers during the golden age....

mad.gif

well... it's only a two hour show, so there's only so much they can do in the timespan... i think they've mainstreamed it for the most popular and notably characters, rather than trying to cover everything... which would be really tough.

And, having it coincide with the release of a Marvel movie, the Hulk, it makes sense. I gritted my teeth when they first showed what USED to be considered the first WWII cover - Marvel Mystery #4 - until I wrote into CGC and pointed out it was Top-Notch Comics #2. It finally was changed in Overstreet this year.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with focusing on superheroes that lasted until the present, but that's certainly not an accurate way to depict the sales & popularity trend of the 1940's. It's like saying "Ok, here's all of the Allies from WWII" and not mentioning the British, Australians, Canadians, etc.

Heck, I think Captain Marvel outsold Superman and Batman, if I'm not mistaken. Oh wait, one of the "BIG 2" bought Fawcett. Sorry.

Watching it as well now...this is absolutely fantastic. Much better than any other comic book documentary/feature I've ever seen. Don't miss the repeat showings...

Gene

No, i see what you're saying about the "history" of comics, and some coverage could have been given as to what the state of the industry was really like in the 40s, but I think that no matter what, they'd still have to focus on the characters that everyone knows... but I get what you're saying.

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's a phenominal piece. I just think they could've glossed over other publishers that inspired the Big 2, that's all. It's like rewriting History to only include popular names that are easily recognizable. How silly!

I'm throwin' a tape in the vcr right now. smile.gif

VCR? VCR? Hello...Tivo? 1988 called, and they want their recording device back. 27_laughing.gif

893Funny-thumb.gif

I can't believe in 2003 people who frequently watch TV still have to insert plastic tape things into an electronic box, and occasionally adjust "tracking"...how crude!