• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HISTORY CHANNEL SPECIAL ON COMICS TONIGHT 9PM!!!!!!

91 posts in this topic

Agreed on Kavalier and Clay. I did the book on tape thing with that and it was a great way to pass time on one of my road trips. I thought the HS show rocked. I definately learned some things about the golden age and it was great to see and hear these guys. Also, while it was a 2 hour show... its probably 1.5 without commercials so they crammed all of comic history into 90 minutes.

Nesta

Was it just me or did anyone else get tired of the "Devils Island: Hell on Earth" Promo they kept running before cutting back to the show? crazy.gif

Jeesh! Enough already!

I also thought the show was a very good synopsis of most of the major events that shaped comics throughtout its history. If I was to nitpick, smirk.gif besides the lack of coverage on anything other than DC or Marvel, I was suprised they didn't mention some more of the seminal bronze age events such as adaptation of Conan, Death of Green Goblin, reintroduction of Horror comics, creation of Cerebus (specifically), etc.

I realize that they were limited by time and had to focus on the events with the most impact but a mention or two would have really added to this great program.

Some of the best parts where: the explanations of how comics where distributed in the past as oppossed to now, the reasons for the shortage and high value of Golden-age comics and the plunging sales figures of modern comics. Overall a well put together show that the industry can be proud of.

I loved the show, and given the two-hour time limit thought it covered a fair amount of territory. Things I wish they'd done differently:

1) Found a few more of the old guys like Eisner - Julie Schwartz is still alive, right? - and gotten a bit more perspective from the first generation of creative talent

2) Given Kirby a bit more credit re: the original Marvel superhero lineup - but then, has The King ever really gotten a fair shake in the "mainstream media" ?

3) Spent a *little* more time focusing on non-hero genres... a few secs of funny animal books - I believe at one time WDC&S and Uncle Scrooge were outselling all the hero books by a wide margin - and a few shots of EC horror covers just weren't enough!

4) Not relied on Stan Lee to basically tell the history of comics "through the Marvel lens" quite so much. Granted, he's absolutely essential to the "modern comic book" that evolved following the mid-'50s doldrums, but still, he's got a very specific take on things and has gotten so good at telling his version of the story that it feels a bit pat at this point.

Having read "Comic Book Nation" and "Kavalier and Klay," I was gratified that the authors of those books were liberally referenced throughout; they helped balance Lee's account...

I know that Stan embelishes his version of history, and Kirby could have gotten a little more play, but I think there's been this push to give Kirby all this credit and I think he gets the appropriate level he deserves... on some books, especially the FF, he deserves credit, but to me Jack was a great artist, but I don't think he should be credited on the same level that Stan is. It seems fashionable to give Kirby this immense tribute now, but to me, Kirby gets all the recognition he deserves at this point. Blasphemy, I know.

27_laughing.gif Your very valid gripe #2 has always been a direct result of gripe #4-- once Stan Lee opens his mouth, how can any other perspective even get a word in edge-wise?

Donut's right, though, Mr. Funky Flashman (Kirby's phrase) remains a national treasure! smile.gif

Things I wish they'd done differently:

2) Given Kirby a bit more credit re: the original Marvel superhero lineup - but then, has The King ever really gotten a fair shake in the "mainstream media" ?

4) Not relied on Stan Lee to basically tell the history of comics "through the Marvel lens" quite so much. ...he's got a very specific take on things and has gotten so good at telling his version of the story that it feels a bit pat at this point.

I loved the show, and given the two-hour time limit thought it covered a fair amount of territory. Things I wish they'd done differently:

1) Found a few more of the old guys like Eisner - Julie Schwartz is still alive, right? - and gotten a bit more perspective from the first generation of creative talent

3) Spent a *little* more time focusing on non-hero genres... a few secs of funny animal books - I believe at one time WDC&S and Uncle Scrooge were outselling all the hero books by a wide margin - and a few shots of EC horror covers just weren't enough!

4) Not relied on Stan Lee to basically tell the history of comics "through the Marvel lens" quite so much. Granted, he's absolutely essential to the "modern comic book" that evolved following the mid-'50s doldrums, but still, he's got a very specific take on things and has gotten so good at telling his version of the story that it feels a bit pat at this point.

Having read "Comic Book Nation" and "Kavalier and Klay," I was gratified that the authors of those books were liberally referenced throughout; they helped balance Lee's account...

reasonable points, except for (3) - it was on the "Comic Book Superhero", afterall. but it was quite good. Michael Chabon came across as being just a pretty cool guy you'd love to have beers with and shoot the [!@#%^&^] about comics.

Webtv in conjunction with a VCR does just about everything a TiVo does,and rumor has it, that it can be used to defeat the filters cable companies use to stop unauthorized veiwing of certain channels. I have had it for well over a year now and as a tv enhancer it is great. Trying to use it on Ebay is another story.

The show was very interesting. I too was hoping for a Ditko sighting. All in all, a very informative peice, both for those in the loop and civilians.The way they animated bits of the books reminded me of those god-awful sixties cartoons that I loved so much.

I find that very difficult to believe re: webtv, but as I don't know anything about it.... Another DVR factor - eliminate tape changing. My 60hour (in [!@#%^&^] mode) Tivo will record 28 hours in HQ mode. That's about 4 1/2 6 hour tapes done in EP/SLP (6 hour) mode. thing I want will be there on my return.

As far as the special goes. Have watched 1/2 of it so far and really liking it. Yes, it is definitely a DC/Marvel/Timely bias. Was fun to see some passing references to pre-code and Wertham. Definitely a class program. Would be great if they did another on the now-defunct heroes and other genres/publishers.

Great 2 hours. Tried to call Ricky at Bedrock City today, but

Ann said he was still running up and down the street nekkid.

And you still get your video through a wire????

DirecTV, only way to go........ cool.gif

I saw the show and thought they did a great job for the limited amount of time. This is the first time comics have ever been given any real publicity on television. It's about time!! If I had the money and knew how to do it, I'd start a Comics Channel. grin.gif

Somebody help/confirm this. During the broadcast last night when the decline of the Golden-age of comics was talked about it was mentioned that Superman, Batman and Wonder Women where the only DC Superhero characters that survived into the Silver-Age or something to that effect. If they said that these where the only superhero characters with their own title to survive then this is a correct statement. However, I thought they said that these where the only superhero characters to survive. If so this is an incorrect statement as Aquaman and possibly Green Arrow survived into the Silver-age although neither had a Golden-Age title to call their own. Could someone confirm this. Thanks. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ah, a "comics channel"... it would be heaven for about 327 people in the U.S. smile.gif Here's the daytime schedule, I'll leave it to you to provide the primetime list...

The Comic Book Channel (CBC-TV)

Wednesday, June 25, 2003

6 - 7 a.m.: "Pumping Pencil with Frank Brunner"

7 - 8:30 a.m.: "Live Reports from eBay Comics Trading Floor w/Geraldo Rivera"

8:30 - 9 a.m.: Public Service Announcement: soliciting funds for The Society of Poorly-drawn, Nearly Disabled Comic Book Characters Penciled by Frank Robbins

9 - 10 a.m.: "Wonder Woman Workout with Linda Carter and her sidekick Joanna"

10 - 11 a.m.: "General Super-Villain Hospital"

Noon - 1: "Update from CGC Headquarters: Comics Slabbed TODAY"

1 - 2 p.m.: "Make Fun of Other People's Mid-Grade POS" - call-in show with hosts JoeCollector and [insert patient co-host's name here]

2 - 3 p.m.: "Live Reports from eBay Comics Trading Floor w/Geraldo Rivera"

3 - 4 p.m.: "America's Most Wanted: eBay Fraud Perps Edition"

4 - 5 p.m.: "Restoration Check - Truth or Consequences in the Golden Age"

5 - 6 p.m.: Evening News with Steve Borock

Somebody help/confirm this. During the broadcast last night when the decline of the Golden-age of comics was talked about it was mentioned that Superman, Batman and Wonder Women where the only DC Superhero characters that survived into the Silver-Age or something to that effect. If they said that these where the only superhero characters with their own title to survive then this is a correct statement. However, I thought they said that these where the only superhero characters to survive. If so this is an incorrect statement as Aquaman and possibly Green Arrow survived into the Silver-age although neither had a Golden-Age title to call their own. Could someone confirm this. Thanks. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Meta: Haven't re-viewed the videotape, but I believe they said those were the only three characters to "survive" in their own titles, or words to that effect. I'm also not sure if they said "survive INTO the Silver Age" or "survive the Silver Age," two very different things indeed.

It would of been nice if someone would of posted about this show a day or two ahead of time. Not less then a half hour from the show. Man am I mad. Sounds like I missed a good show. Any chance it will be on again? I'm on CENTRAL TIME and of course our TV GUIDE doesn't have it listed. Anyone know if this show will be repeated?

It would of been nice if someone would of posted about this show a day or two ahead of time. Not less then a half hour from the show. Man am I mad. Sounds like I missed a good show. Any chance it will be on again? I'm on CENTRAL TIME and of course our TV GUIDE doesn't have it listed. Anyone know if this show will be repeated?

confused.gif !!!!! confused.gif

Try reading the thread...

I did. It doesn't tell me what time for my area. Can't go by eastern time. Thats the only one I see mentioned.

confused.gif

If you need help figuring out local viewing times from the eastern ones provided, tell us where you live (state or time zone), and we'll help out. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I did. It doesn't tell me what time for my area. Can't go by eastern time. Thats the only one I see mentioned.

You can't figure out the local showing time when Eastern viewing times are given? confused.gif

If not, tell us where you live (state or time zone), and we'll help out. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Central time...It's in his post!

Mmmmm...didn't they give out promo items at comic shops promoting this show? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Central time...It's in his post!

Mmmmm...didn't they give out promo items at comic shops promoting this show? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ok......take the Eastern times provided and just subtract an hour.

If it's scheduled to air at 8 pm eastern......this would be at 7 pm central time......and so on.