• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM FF 9 - A Weird One

11 posts in this topic

Here's a curveball. I've never know what to grade this mutant. Front looks 7.0ish... great color, but then look at the back. 893whatthe.gif

2 strange chips. I don't think they are rodent chews because the interior paper is untouched. The edges are fairly supple (not brittle), so I can't understand the pieces just chipping away. confused-smiley-013.gif

FF009.jpg

FF009back.jpg

I think the chips are to startight for bugs...from what i have seen of bug damage--is that water damage on ack cover between the chips?

vg

It's what I call fingertip rippling. It's a very narrow band of slight ripples confined to the edge. My guess is that it is caused by moist fingertips holding the edge of the cover as it is read. I've seen many books with this phenomena and I can't think of a more logical explanation. confused-smiley-013.gif

I initially had this one down as a VG+... I figured it was probably a definate 6.5 without the chips and deducted 2 points for the chips.

Perhaps I was being too liberal as so many people I respect called it a 4.0.

This is the tough thing about grading books like this (books with weird atypical flaws.) Do you knock it down to whatever technical grade it is, that is, "if it has a chip this big it can grade no higher than X."

Or do you grade it as what it would be without the weird flaw and then penalize from there?

I guess either philosophy is legit, but which one do most collectors follow?