• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Classic Detective 20 on Heritage, Mile High 9.2 !!!

25 posts in this topic

It's a nice looking book. White page quality. Pedigreed and Pre-Hero 'Tec. I suspect that the market is good for this book, regardless of the glue. I suspect 10K at least.

im thinking coser to 20.

Actually I was thinking in the 16 to 20. But I am not entirely familiar with the Pre-Hero 'Tec's between 18 and 26 so I figure at least 10K. It's a great looking book, there are Detective completionists and pedigree chasers out there.

Ditto.

All you need is two bidders. The next best in the census is an 8.0 and after that a 4.5 so there aren't a lot of Tecs around for people to share. I wish these books were cheaper but there has been enough demand to keep these books at a premium prices for more years than I care to remember.

While I don't doubt the market will be strong for this book due to all those factors, I collect pre-hero 'Tec and this is one of my least favorite covers of the #1-#26 run. FWIW.

Seriously? I think this cover is great. Tec 2 is one I don't care for as much.

Personally, the cover that I don't really care for is issue #4. Bland and colourless in the middle of a great run of pre-hero covers.

Nice to see we all agree on our least favorite! stooges.gif

I doubt the glue notation will affect the price on this book any more than those types of notes have affected the price of other blue label GA books in the past. In other words, not at all.

This is the one thing I don't get regarding CGC's grading standards. sign-rantpost.gif You can't be a little pregnant...how can a little glue not be considered slight restoration? confused-smiley-013.gif The ONLY reason glue would be anywhere near a comic book, much less on the spine, is to perform a tear seal or some other repair / visual enhancement to the book. If the spine was NM-.....no need for glue. If glue is on the cover/spine - restoration was done, no matter how minor.

I would think that the glue notation would / could have a considerable desirability impact, since the blue label, it could be easily argued, should really be purple. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifThen again, this may be the only chance in a lifetime to own this book in this nice a shape, glue on spine or not.

It`s an issue that has been long discussed and debated here, but with no discernible impact on CGC`s policy.

Just to be clear, I wasn`t supporting or opposing the impact (or lack thereof) of the notation on previous sales. I was just noting that I`d observed no real impact in previous auctions and therefore didn`t think there would be any here either.

Showcase-4;

As Tim has stated above, a very long and heated discussion over the past few years.

You certainly wouldn't want me to go into my long-winded argument again for a formal restoration rating system along with the one-colour label system.

I guess we'll just let CGC collectors continue along their merry way of buying the label instead of buying the book based upon today's environment as facilitated by CGC. Especially assinine that collectors voiced their disapproval when CGC tried to move away from this system late last year. foreheadslap.gifscrewy.gif

I actually would like to hear about your proposed system. Some system is better than none. How do most people price their restored books? 1/3 of unrestored apparent grade? Used to be my rule, but not sure what I would do now.

I doubt the glue notation will affect the price on this book any more than those types of notes have affected the price of other blue label GA books in the past. In other words, not at all.

This is the one thing I don't get regarding CGC's grading standards. sign-rantpost.gif You can't be a little pregnant...how can a little glue not be considered slight restoration? confused-smiley-013.gif The ONLY reason glue would be anywhere near a comic book, much less on the spine, is to perform a tear seal or some other repair / visual enhancement to the book. If the spine was NM-.....no need for glue. If glue is on the cover/spine - restoration was done, no matter how minor.

I would think that the glue notation would / could have a considerable desirability impact, since the blue label, it could be easily argued, should really be purple. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifThen again, this may be the only chance in a lifetime to own this book in this nice a shape, glue on spine or not.

It`s an issue that has been long discussed and debated here, but with no discernible impact on CGC`s policy.

Just to be clear, I wasn`t supporting or opposing the impact (or lack thereof) of the notation on previous sales. I was just noting that I`d observed no real impact in previous auctions and therefore didn`t think there would be any here either.

Showcase-4;

As Tim has stated above, a very long and heated discussion over the past few years.

You certainly wouldn't want me to go into my long-winded argument again for a formal restoration rating system along with the one-colour label system.

I guess we'll just let CGC collectors continue along their merry way of buying the label instead of buying the book based upon today's environment as facilitated by CGC. Especially assinine that collectors voiced their disapproval when CGC tried to move away from this system late last year. foreheadslap.gifscrewy.gif

I actually would like to hear about your proposed system. Some system is better than none. How do most people price their restored books? 1/3 of unrestored apparent grade? Used to be my rule, but not sure what I would do now.

Bill,

an acceptable rule of thumb would be 20% of unrestored value...and probably dropping blush.gif

Showcase-4;

Bill,

an acceptable rule of thumb would be 20% of unrestored value...and probably dropping blush.gif

Yeah, I see some for 15% now. Kind of sad.