• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what is up with shipping fees on ebay??

43 posts in this topic

i am looking at some auctions ending soon and the dude is charging 10 bucks to ahve 1 book shipped.that is just retarded,it shouldnt cost more than 5 bucks to have a comic shipped priority mail.maybe its just me,but i dont think gouging people on shipping is the appropriate way to pay your ebay fees.i paid 7 bucks last week to get 10 ghost rider comics shipped,and the same day i sent 10 to have 130 hulk books shipped my way.maybe i am alone here,anyone??

i am looking at some auctions ending soon and the dude is charging 10 bucks to ahve 1 book shipped.that is just retarded,it shouldnt cost more than 5 bucks to have a comic shipped priority mail.maybe its just me,but i dont think gouging people on shipping is the appropriate way to pay your ebay fees.i paid 7 bucks last week to get 10 ghost rider comics shipped,and the same day i sent 10 to have 130 hulk books shipped my way.maybe i am alone here,anyone??

I have a personal limit of about $8 (I can understand $5 to $8 with handling included for a CGC book........less if it's a raw book......probably $4 to $6 limit for well-packed, secure shipping is my limit with raw). If someone has a book that I would like to have and they try to charge more than that for domestic shipping and handling (like the $10 charge that I tend to see sometimes)......then I will email them. If they won't budge on the shipping cost......then they can do without my bid. A bid which would have probably increased their ending price by much more than the $2 that they're being so stubborn about. I know that, usually, a similar book will come along soon enough where the seller won't be excessively ripping me on the shipping.

i totally agree with that.i was going to bid ona few items,but that is ridiculous.i also hate when people dont combine the shipping fees.all the shipping material is free from USPS,minus bubble wrap,newspaper,or whatever you stuff the box with,so i refuse to pay over-inflated shipping.

Don't feel bad.....I once paid $13.50 for shipping on a SINGLE CGC book. When the seller sent me my total, I emailed them to ask why shipping was so expensive. The seller wrote:

"...because that's what it says in the auction about shipping to Canada." I wanted to tell that seller to go [!@#%^&^] themself......but I didn't want to give up the book. I checked the CGC census to see if I could just wait for another one to come along, but only two copies had ever been submitted.....and it was the highest one. 893frustrated.gif

When the book arrived, I discovered that the seller ACTUALLY paid $13.50 to ship it to me 893whatthe.gif.

In the end.........

I got totally pissed off for nothing. makepoint.gif

Either way,

I still have that book........and it's "perfect" cloud9.gif

I'd suggest avoiding Jay Parrino. Charges 20 dollars to ship, shipping shows actual charge of 7-8 dollars. The rest of the $$$ is used to pay to make and ship you one of his catalogs..

It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't live in Iowa and he was in Kansas City..

Brian

Some people like to make money off of shipping fees. They should be avoided. When I first started buying on Ebay alittle more than a year ago,I was taken several times but now have learned my lesson. The type of seller wh overcharges for shipping is prob. going to overgrade as well. I bought a Thor tape off a guy for $5 and he wanted $5 for shipping. I told him to hold up and I would bid on another lot or two and he could ship them at same time.

I buy two lots, each containing ten bronze books. Next day he emails me telling me the tape has already shipped,he will take $1 off the second lot and ONLY charge me $9 to ship twenty comics media mail within New York state. My $11 purchase was going to cost me $14 in shipping. He went on to explain that on his very first Ebay transaction he had been ripped off so as long as he delivered the goods,he felt he was doing ok. This man had 130something positive feedbacks before this. He was shocked when I neg'd him.SHOCKED!

If a seller can't make enough off his goods and needs to profit off shipping, he will do it without me. I mean I'm not going to [!@#%^&^] if A guy charges a dollar more,but more than that it is time for a parting of the ways. I'm out of there faster than you can say Dan Drista.

I'd suggest avoiding Jay Parrino. Charges 20 dollars to ship, shipping shows actual charge of 7-8 dollars. The rest of the $$$ is used to pay to make and ship you one of his catalogs..

It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't live in Iowa and he was in Kansas City..

Brian

Parrino is the worst for this. The only positive is that bidders avoid his auctions, and sometimes a book can be had for more than $20 under the prevailing rate.

I won a CGC book recently that did not include a shipping quote in the auction heading. Then I get the confirmation email from the guy, and he's charging me $25.00 to have it shipped! So, naturally, I email him to voice my displeasure, and he writes something to the effect of "oh, sorry, that was a Overnight Express Mail quote". WTF? I end up sending him $12 to cover Priority shipping and Insurance...any bets that when it arrives, the postage stamp will say $8 or $9 tops and that he insures it for the minimum?

On another note, I sell a few books on ebay, and I can tell you, the price increase that went into effect last year really kills you when your Priority Mail package goes over a pound (like, when shipping 2+ CGC books). I tend to underestimate the shipping, and foolishly, make up the difference out of pocket.

I won a CGC book recently that did not include a shipping quote in the auction heading. Then I get the confirmation email from the guy, and he's charging me $25.00 to have it shipped! So, naturally, I email him to voice my displeasure, and he writes something to the effect of "oh, sorry, that was a Overnight Express Mail quote". WTF? I end up sending him $12 to cover Priority shipping and Insurance...any bets that when it arrives, the postage stamp will say $8 or $9 tops and that he insures it for the minimum?

On another note, I sell a few books on ebay, and I can tell you, the price increase that went into effect last year really kills you when your Priority Mail package goes over a pound (like, when shipping 2+ CGC books). I tend to underestimate the shipping, and foolishly, make up the difference out of pocket.

For CGC books, you're almost better shipping UPS or FedEx Ground at this point. I charge $5 to ship up to 8 raw books. If somebody is charging more than that, they're ripping you off.

Yup...gouging on shipping is wrong and my feelings on it are in the concensus here...

That being said...when I buy a book via eBay I always factor in the shipping amount with the bid amount. To me that is the actual amount that I have paid for the item...Thus...my bid amount is directly correlated to the shipping amount being charged...

In other words...if I am willing to pay $50 for a sellers Hulk #141 and the seller advertises a shipping charge of $10 then my max bid will be in the $40 range...

By the same token...if a seller has a $15 book up for bids and the shipping charge is $10 then you can be sure...I ain't gonna be bidding.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I,m notorious for taking a loss on shipping...for CGC books I usually charge $6.00 for priority,...but I pack in a box with peanuts, and I live on the east coast...If the book is going to California for instance it can run $9.00 easily.....but if its going local or close by on east coast it could go $4.75 sometimes...so in the end it averages out... However even though I state 6 bucks in my auctions I will work a deal with the seller if he is close by and reasonable....I remember selling a book to Darth once , and he asked me to send the book media mail instead of priority cause he lives so close it would be a one day ship either way.

J.D.

If the shipping cost is disclosed, and you think it is a rip-off, then don't bid.

Likewise, if you think an item is priced too high, don't bid. Just like anyone is free to set a "rip-off" opening bid or BIN, why shouldn't a seller be allowed to set a "rip-off" shipping fee? Shipping costs are just one component of the overall cost set by the seller. Factor it in and don't sweat it. Don't get bothered over shipping costs. If they are too high for your tastes, then just move on. I see items of interest all the time, but if they are low value items and the shipping seems too high, I just leave and don't bid.

I can understand if the shipping isn't disclosed and after winning a rip-off amount is requested then that IS a problem.

It's a free world. If sellers want to limit their pool of bidders to only those willing to be charged rip-off shipping costs... well, that's their choice, just as it's your choice to bid or not.

Also sometimes you can manage to get a better offer by asking nicely. I recently bought a video game from a seller for a fixed shipping amount. He was selling other games, including one I wanted. But his auction terms specified combining shipping would add $2 to the shipping total. After I won one item and he failed to sell several others he agreed to my offer to buy another game from him for no additional shipping charge. All I did was ask to buy it and stated that with the extra $2 charge I would not be interested. He agreed asap.

If the shipping cost is disclosed, and you think it is a rip-off, then don't bid.

Likewise, if you think an item is priced too high, don't bid. Just like anyone is free to set a "rip-off" opening bid or BIN, why shouldn't a seller be allowed to set a "rip-off" shipping fee? Shipping costs are just one component of the overall cost set by the seller. Factor it in and don't sweat it. Don't get bothered over shipping costs. If they are too high for your tastes, then just move on. I see items of interest all the time, but if they are low value items and the shipping seems too high, I just leave and don't bid.

I can understand if the shipping isn't disclosed and after winning a rip-off amount is requested then that IS a problem.

It's a free world. If sellers want to limit their pool of bidders to only those willing to be charged rip-off shipping costs... well, that's their choice, just as it's your choice to bid or not.

Also sometimes you can manage to get a better offer by asking nicely. I recently bought a video game from a seller for a fixed shipping amount. He was selling other games, including one I wanted. But his auction terms specified combining shipping would add $2 to the shipping total. After I won one item and he failed to sell several others he agreed to my offer to buy another game from him for no additional shipping charge. All I did was ask to buy it and stated that with the extra $2 charge I would not be interested. He agreed asap.

I agree with you on your statements.I Charge 8.50 for a cgc book shiped priority in the usa I live in Post falls Idaho which is in the west It usually costs me 5.75 to ship to the east and and a little less than 5 for on the west coast.I put the book in a bubble wrap envelope which costs me .35 cents I include delivery confirmation with the price which is .45 cents. I ship mostly to the east so I would say the average is around 6.00 dollars.That is 2.50 more that I am pocketing I guess.Also in the mix of things if the payment comes in from paypal and I am at the computer and its 15 minutes from the post office closing I will package item securely and fly out of the house ducking wind rain snow sleet hail dust storms sunshine, it doesnt matter what is happening out there I hop in my car and go and get to the Post office and package is mailed, Item is paid for and it now belongs to them and they deserve to have it shipped right there and then if it is possible for it to go,So I figure that must be worth 2.50 Also I havent had 1 transaction ever that has had a cracked CGC book so that alone makes it worth it at least to me it does.People must usually bid with knowing what it costs and factor that into the equation(I know I do) but at least it is fair to everyone bidding on my books as to what they pay in the usa.A person could go on and on about this but dont we as buyers have the option of figuring out how much we want to spend with shipping and insurance included.Life goes on and I cant beleive I am going to buy my 1974 Nova ss with comic books.My life rocks!

Davidking623

My S/H charges are about 50 cents to a dollar over the "actual" shipping charge from the USPS, but I pack extremely well and ship fast. Never had one item lost or damaged (knock on wood). My rates start at $5.50 on the West Coast and goes up to $7.25 on the East Coast (includes del. confirmation). I have 507 positives with zero negatives, so I am assuming that people don't mind paying an extra 50 cents to a dollar for excellent and speedy service. smile.gif

I charge cost of stamps only, generally priority mail, always ship within 24 hours of receiving payment (if the PO is open) and pack to surive a bomb. I use a lot of my own shipping material, but avail myself of PO boxes and online free delivery confirmation.

This means I can't always quote a shipping price. If things are outsized I have to wait to package. But with raw books it's easy.

I lose money on supplies, but I hate shipping rip-offs so much that it's worth it me to eat that cost.