• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

removing an inked date stamp

49 posts in this topic

Is it possible,and is it considered restoration.

I'm interested in comments on a stamped date,in particular.

If you use the right solvent, sure it's possible.

Is it restoration? Of course it is. You're removing a defect/returning the book to its original, pre-stamped state.

Is it restoration? Of course it is. You're removing a defect/returning the book to its original, pre-stamped state.

But date stamps aren't defects according to CGC.

Let me rephrase the question-Does anyone know if CGC considers it restoration. foreheadslap.gif

I disagree. The date stamp is just like any other defect, except very minor. Its just like peeling off a piece of "schmutz" that's on the book. You're not altering the book positively--you're simply taking something negative away.

I disagree. The date stamp is just like any other defect, except very minor. Its just like peeling off a piece of "schmutz" that's on the book. You're not altering the book positively--you're simply taking something negative away.

So, using a solvent to clean ink off of a book isn't restoration?

Anyone else agree? screwy.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Not unless I lost all my faculties and became a gibbering eedjit. tongue.gif

(And why can't you say id!ot anymore?????????? 893whatthe.gif)

Ink isn't "schmutz". You can't just take it off by hand. Ink is embedded in the paper fibers. They are very different. gossip.gif

Where is the stamp? I personally hate date stamps but would never try and remove one on a valuable book. Any solvent that removes the date stamp ink would have an effect on the covers inks as well. Naptha is good for a solvent bath but it will take some of the gloss away and will not completely remove the stamp. I tried this on an old beat up Hulk 174 I had just to see if it could be done. The naptha removed a lot of the dirt and the whites look much whiter when I was done but the book lost some of its gloss and the date stamp, while less visible was still there.

I would consider it restoration since the date stamp was not present when it rolled off the presses.

The act of solvent cleaning is considered restoration (it's irrelevant as to whether the solvent was used to remove a date stamp, a pen scribble, or olive oil).

Ink isn't "schmutz". You can't just take it off by hand. Ink is embedded in the paper fibers. They are very different. gossip.gif

Then what the hell was your point in the post that I was responding to? makepoint.gif

Then what the hell was your point in the post that I was responding to? makepoint.gif

I think he's debating himself.

confused-smiley-013.gif

I can't explain it in any form that is more simple. Its only a few sentences... foreheadslap.gif

removing an inked date stamp

I'd leave it.

I use to be a date stamp hater but now I sort of like them, at least on the oldest books (pre '65).

Unless it was one of those huge store stamps, then just sell it and upgrade.

I can't explain it in any form that is more simple. Its only a few sentences... foreheadslap.gif

If this is the best you can do, I do not have high hopes for this book you're writing. poke2.gifyay.gif

If this is the best you can do, I do not have high hopes for this book you're writing. poke2.gifyay.gif

Well, if you can't understand that basic compiling of sentences then you were doomed to never read my book anyway. The book requires at least 1st grade reading skills...sorry. I didn't want to make it an more simplistic. confused-smiley-013.gif

popcorn.gif

King, you busy man, your writing a book also? plus opening your own comics store and trying to get a job at CGC, yay.gif you young kids, you seem to have an endless supply of energy, if only more of Americas youth had your go get em attitude, Canada would be a better place confused-smiley-013.gif

Scott

Stick to football my good man, it's obvious your restoration knowledge pales in comparison to the King poke2.gif

You can't beat anyones professional opinion when it contains the words "schmutz" & "imbedded" thumbsup2.gif

Let's hope that Schmutz, Alex Smith imbeds the football into the hands of Bryant this weekend against the Bolts and the "rebuilding" 49ers win their 3rd and go an even .500 893applaud-thumb.gif

Scott

Stick to football my good man, it's obvious your restoration knowledge pales in comparison to the King poke2.gif

You can't beat anyones professional opinion when it contains the words "schmutz" & "imbedded" thumbsup2.gif

Dude, I seriously laughed out loud when I read that part. laughing.gif