• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tune into "FLIP THIS BOOK" - USM #33 CGC 9.8 WP

57 posts in this topic

Welcome to my new TV Show...."Flip This Book".... 893whatthe.gif

Not that I am much into buying modern slabbed books but when I saw a copy for $65 CAN$ at a LCS, I couldn't help but buy it in the hopes of later re-selling it on eBay or such to fund more important GA books later on. Ya, I know...band waggon jumper opportunist I am grin.gif, but I cannot see how the "hype-machine" that has already started to rear its head is not going to drive up this book up. Or maybe I am wrong... screwy.gif

I saw a 9.8 close yesterday at over $80 USD$, so I am pretty pleased with my "investment" after two days. Do you think I did ok at $65 CAN$? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Anyone want to prognosticate where they think this book is going to end up when the real SM3 and Venom hype hits? Where is Carnac? Should I auction now or wait for the hype to really build... crazy.gif Come on - I can take it.....

Thanks for tuning into "Flip this Book". Next week be sure to tune in next week...

popcorn.gif

Not that I am much into buying modern slabbed books but when I saw a copy for $65 CAN$ at a LCS, I couldn't help but buy it in the hopes of later re-selling it on eBay or such to fund more important GA books later on. Ya, I know...band waggon jumper opportunist I am grin.gif, but I cannot see how the "hype-machine" that has already started to rear its head is not going to drive up this book up. Or maybe I am wrong... screwy.gif

I saw a 9.8 close yesterday at over $80 USD$, so I am pretty pleased with my "investment" after two days. Do you think I did ok at $65 CAN$? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Anyone want to prognosticate where they think this book is going to end up when the real SM3 and Venom hype hits? Where is Carnac? Should I auction now or wait for the hype to really build... crazy.gif Come on - I can take it.....

Thanks for tuning into "Flip this Book". Next week be sure to tune in next week...

popcorn.gif

You are currently experiencing the peak of hype. That book will almost certainly never be worth significantly more than it is now, and in a year's time, will be worth far less. It is not a good investment.

But don't take my word for it, hang on to your copy and check back with us in one year. thumbsup2.gif

popcorn.gif

You are currently experiencing the peak of hype. That book will almost certainly never be worth significantly more than it is now, and in a year's time, will be worth far less. It is not a good investment.

But don't take my word for it, hang on to your copy and check back with us in one year. thumbsup2.gif

Not true. I would expect it to spike when every other comic affected by movie hype spikes...a few months before the film comes out.

Sell it two to four months before SM 3, which would be about six months from now.

popcorn.gif

Not true. I would expect it to spike when every other comic affected by movie hype spikes...a few months before the film comes out.

Sell it two to four months before SM 3, which would be about six months from now.

Care to make a friendly wager? Loser buys the winner a beer at the next WW Chicago forum dinner? I'll bet you a beer that the book doesn't hit sustained 9.8 sales of over $100 between now and until the January/February 2007 timeframe. If I'm wrong, you drink for free.

Curious why a book that was a no-brainer speculator book 3 years into the series would sell for such a premium. How many 9.8s are there?

The way things are going, $65/canadian might be $100/U.S. before you know it.

Curious why a book that was a no-brainer speculator book 3 years into the series would sell for such a premium. How many 9.8s are there?

The way things are going, $65/canadian might be $100/U.S. before you know it.

1st Ultimate Venon. The fact that Venom made 1000 appearances before this though makes it a long shot.

I'll bet you a beer that the book doesn't hit sustained 9.8 sales of over $100 between now and until the January/February 2007 timeframe. If I'm wrong, you drink for free.

"Sustained" being the "JC way more" loophole in this bet.

yeahok.gif

popcorn.gif

Care to make a friendly wager? Loser buys the winner a beer at the next WW Chicago forum dinner? I'll bet you a beer that the book doesn't hit sustained 9.8 sales of over $100 between now and until the January/February 2007 timeframe. If I'm wrong, you drink for free.

I didn't say anything about over $100 or sustained sales, but I bet that the book has yet to hit its peak. If you want to bet that the average sale price now will remain the same as the average sale price right before the movie comes out, then you have a deal. poke2.gif

Easy money. It worked with Hellboy, X2, Elektra, Punisher, ect, ect. Spidey 3 won't be different.

I'll bet you a beer that the book doesn't hit sustained 9.8 sales of over $100 between now and until the January/February 2007 timeframe. If I'm wrong, you drink for free.

yeahok.gif

27_laughing.gif No kidding. He knows he is wrong, so he tries his Jedi mindtricks...

what I'm saying is that by issue 33, USM was pretty well collected (unlike the first few issues, that I guess were a bit of a "surprise"?) and this "first" is such an obvious one to stock up on if you're a modern speculator that you'd think there would be cadjillions of them out there in pristine shape.

I'm not entirely sure I was back into paying attention to moderns by then, so I don't really know.

yeahok.gif

27_laughing.gif No kidding. He knows he is wrong, so he tries his Jedi mindtricks...

No, I said sustained because I recognize that some iddiot somewhere is going to overpay for this book on ebay between now and next year. I am talking about several sales at the $100 level. If it happens only two or three times, ok, fine, I still lose the bet. The high water mark is currently $80. When you factor in two-way shipping and ebay fees to resell a book, I figure that the $100 mark is approximately how much the $80 buyer would have to sell for to make any profit.

As for your other comments, screw you both. If I lose a bet, I don't weasel out of it. makepoint.gif

I figure that the $100 mark is approximately how much the $80 buyer would have to sell for to make any profit.

Who said anything about an $80 buyer or making a profit? Stop clouding the issue. poke2.gif

Here is what you said: "You are currently experiencing the peak of hype. That book will almost certainly never be worth significantly more than it is now, and in a year's time, will be worth far less. It is not a good investment."

...and I said: "Not true. I would expect it to spike when every other comic affected by movie hype spikes...a few months before the film comes out."

Nothing about profit, $80 purchases, sustained 9.8 sales, or over $100 sales...just that he is better off selling in about 6 months when the book will top out, as opposed to now where the book still has some room to grow. I can back this up with virtually every other book in the past few years that experienced spikes due to movie hype. That's it. Nothing to argue over really. confused-smiley-013.gif

Hey guys - over 700 submissions....about 1/2 are 9.8s. With all this "Flip this and flip that" c**p on TV, I thought is would be a funny thread....

Honestly....I thought I would have some fun with this and see how it turns out. I don't expect to make a killing on it or anything, but when I saw one go at $80+ on eBay....I thought that was pretty good. I honestly thought if I broke even later that would be ok....was only $65 CAN anyway.....

I think I am going to hold it a little longer....I kind of agree with Andy, I think the full hype is not hear yet....maybe try it in December....I will let you guys know how I do on it.