• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Printing Defect - 1 misaligned staple

7 posts in this topic

Dear Comic Community,

I'm thinking of getting a book CGCed, but before I do I want to understand how CGC grades. I was wondering how would CGC grade a book with a slightly misaligned staple? The book was never read, and was bagged and boarded immediately? Thus, it's a mint copy and looks quite perfect to the human eye other than this small printing defect. Any input would be appreciated. Thank-you for your help!

I don't think CGC will give the mis-aligned staple a whole lot of attention. So, I wouldn't worry about it. Really becomes more on an issue when you sell it as some hi-grade collectors could be turned off the book because of it.

Do you mean misaligned as in the staple isn't on the spine but instead is either somewhere on the front or back cover? If that's what you mean and it's no more than 1/8" away from the spine, it's unlikely you'll get a deduction unless the book is otherwise a perfect 10.

I was wondering how would CGC grade a book with a slightly misaligned staple? The book was never read, and was bagged and boarded immediately? Thus, it's a mint copy and looks quite perfect to the human eye other than this small printing defect.

Also remember, a book that looks "mint" to you won't necessarily look "mint" to CGC. They grade under magnification, and while you may not see any defects, they might.

Dear Comic Community,

I'm thinking of getting a book CGCed, but before I do I want to understand how CGC grades.

I've been here a year and can't tell you how they grade. CGC wont tell you for that matter. Good luck. Send it in and see what happens.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your quick replies! To clarify the minor defect, it's less than 1/8th of an inch (0.2-0.3 cm) from the spine and it's the bottom staple. The bottom staple is misaligned from the spine towards the front cover as opposed to the back. The upper staple is more centered on the spine.

I understand that CGC grades the books very stringently. I have sent in books that I thought would grade somewhere between 9.4/9.6 and got 9.0/9.2. And there were books that I thought would grade 9.4 and came back as 9.8. I think grading is quite subjective in nature because the little staple can bother some people, but the question is, would it bother CGC when it comes their grading standards?

Doubt it. CGC seems to not downgrade for minor miscellaneous printing defects at the 9.8 level and below. I believe one of the CGC 9.8 copies of FF #48 has staples that are approximately 1/16" to 1/8" away from the spine on the front.