• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FS Planet Comics 53 FN-VF 7.0

59 posts in this topic

Very long overdue, but kudos posted. Again, thank you for the book. I deeply apologize if you were surprised at what happened. I was not trying to be deceptive or malicious. I assumed people know that I sell as my eBay listings link is part of my board signature. But in the future, if there is an item on sale on the board and I intend to sell rather than keep in my personal collection (which, of course, happens), then I will be make it more clear.

peter

Peter, just so you know I don't think anybody thinks what you did was unethical, just unseemly. You're certainly not the first. But for the most part this marketplace forum is a refreshing haven from all the resubbing, speculating, flipping, overgrading, etc. that permeates this hobby. It's a great place to buy and sell. Because of the community-like atmoshpere that has developed here people do often tend to give fellow forum members a little better deal that they might in another venue like ebay or Clink. That's why it's frowned upon to try and take advantage of it so overtly. There's a separate dealers' forum for a reason.

To use this book as an example, I could have sold it on ebay and maybe made another 20 or 30 bucks. But, I know there are a number of forumites that collect Fiction House GGA so I figured I throw it on here first and see if anyone wants it.

If so and I need to cut them a deal to hook them up then cool. If not, it goes on ebay. But, I'd rather see it go to another forum member than to some random shmoe on ebay or worse a dealer that's just going to press out the printing crease, slab it and throw it on Clink at a 100% markup.

Alright, enough preaching. insane.gif You get the idea. I know you've only been registered for a couple of months so I'm perfectly willing to chalk it up to a newbie misunderstanding and not give you anymore grief about it. No harm done and apology accepted. flowerred.gif

I hate the people on these boards who are only here to make money. It becomes obvious after a while who these people are.

There is an implication here that I am one of those. That is not true. Scan the board for my comments.

In fairness to Peter, I have seen a number of his GA posts and contributions and I don't think he's just here to make money.

Very long overdue, but kudos posted. Again, thank you for the book. I deeply apologize if you were surprised at what happened. I was not trying to be deceptive or malicious. I assumed people know that I sell as my eBay listings link is part of my board signature. But in the future, if there is an item on sale on the board and I intend to sell rather than keep in my personal collection (which, of course, happens), then I will be make it more clear.

peter

Peter, just so you know I don't think anybody thinks what you did was unethical, just unseemly. You're certainly not the first. But for the most part this marketplace forum is a refreshing haven from all the resubbing, speculating, flipping, overgrading, etc. that permeates this hobby. It's a great place to buy and sell. Because of the community-like atmoshpere that has developed here people do often tend to give fellow forum members a little better deal that they might in another venue like ebay or Clink. That's why it's frowned upon to try and take advantage of it so overtly. There's a separate dealers' forum for a reason.

To use this book as an example, I could have sold it on ebay and maybe made another 20 or 30 bucks. But, I know there are a number of forumites that collect Fiction House GGA so I figured I throw it on here first and see if anyone wants it.

If so and I need to cut them a deal to hook them up then cool. If not, it goes on ebay. But, I'd rather see it go to another forum member than to some random shmoe on ebay or worse a dealer that's just going to press out the printing crease, slab it and throw it on Clink at a 100% markup.

Alright, enough preaching. insane.gif You get the idea. I know you've only been registered for a couple of months so I'm perfectly willing to chalk it up to a newbie misunderstanding and not give you anymore grief about it. No harm done and apology accepted. flowerred.gif

I would like to retain the "sense of community" as much as anyone one here, and I once started a thread attemting to limit the ebay mentality and influx of strictly ebay dealers that has been developing for some time here yet was met with a lot of resistance. But I really have to disagree with your post. Flipping the book you sold him was not unseemly. Especially when you recognize that most books bought on the Marketplace end up getting flipped perhaps not a week after they are bought here but within months or a year. Be honest, when you post a book for sale how much do you really care who buys it as long as your asking price is met? Would you post that you'll sell it for less to someone who says they'll put in their collection as opposed to flipping it? If you would you'd be in the minority of sellers here. Yes books get offered here at prices less than ebay and the "sense of community" has a little to do with that, but it is more about the convenience and lack of cost and effort of selling here than anything else. Put it on ebay your net is already down 10% plus factor in the cost of the deal going bad, which happens with enough frequency to matter but almost never happens here. Plus you'll spend 5 times as much time selling it.

The other thing I disagree with is your contention that you'd make $20 or $30 more on ebay or CL. I don't know how much you ultimately sold it for but it would have to be a hefty discount under your asking price for anyone to flip that book and make money (sorry Peter but I calls them like I sees them). Remember to factor in the cost of selling on ebay. I could be wrong here but even if you could make $20-30 more, how much is your time worth and in the final analysis how big a deal is it?

Lastly, this Marketplace is the only place to buy books direct from board members. The other retailers forum is not reserved for buyers who flip.

Perhaps this all boils down to differences in the assumptions forumites hold about this marketplace. I have some friends on this forum but most people here I don't from Adam; I'll extend them greater courtesy than i would ebay buyers but I am not emotionally invested in my transactions with them, and don't care what they do with the book I sell them. I perceive most on these boards as flippers, and expect things I sell to be flipped.

I don't mean to be insulting here but given all the truly crappy things that happen on these boards, this should not be an issue.

The other thing that should be recognized is that if you do not have flippers competing for your book in the marketplace the $ offered will be considerably lower. The lower limit of the sale price will be set by a price that warrants buying and flipping, and without that you have a VERY limted number of potential buyers with less incentive to offer a fair price. We need the larger buying population in the marketplace; what we don't need is the larger selling population.

Perhaps this all boils down to differences in the assumptions forumites hold about this marketplace. I have some friends on this forum but most people here I don't from Adam; I'll extend them greater courtesy than i would ebay buyers but I am not emotionally invested in my transactions with them, and don't care what they do with the book I sell them. I perceive most on these boards as flippers, and expect things I sell to be flipped.

Well put. I feel the same way. People love to moan about how flipping violates some imaginary standard here, but I just don't see it. My friends are my friends and everyone else is everyone else. Just because someone posts on this board doesn't mean I am going to treat them like some member of an exclusive comic fraternity where we are all pure collectors and totally uninterested in a profit.

I buy and sell comics for money, money I use to buy other comics. Some of the comics I sell for a profit come from here, and some of the profit I make comes from people here paying more for the book than I did. If that makes me a bad guy, if that means I violated the "spirit" of this place, that's fine. Believe me, I will still be able to sleep at night.

For me it boils down to two rules of etiquette:

1. If you buy the book straight up, you can do as you please with it.

2. If you say the book's for your collection, it damn well better be.

Outside of affirmatively lying or misrepresenting your intention to the seller (which is a whole other ball of wax) I don't see anything wrong with buying for resale. Just my two cents.

I have not read all the comments posted here after my last one, but I will soon with understanding, of course, rather than an "I can't believe you are saying this to/about me" attitude. As I have said before, I don't think what I did was wrong (or for anyone to do it is wrong). Admittedly, I am taken aback by some comments that come off as self-righteous. Plus, I'm still scratching my head over why so many people have a vested interest in this topic.

By the way, please keep in mind that if I were on this board solely to make a profit on comics, I would go after way more books going sale on this thread. But I don't.

In fact, I am more involved/interested in the PGM and GOLD threads. And I have made books available to forumites in the past and will continue to do so, not caring what buyers do with the book.

I want to finally say that I am highly appreciative of the willingness that many board members display in exchanging knowldge about the comic hobby. That is awesome. And I hope I have contributed in the same way, at least in some small degree.

Thanks,

Peter

I hate the people on these boards who are only here to make money. It becomes obvious after a while who these people are.

There is an implication here that I am one of those. That is not true. Scan the board for my comments.

sleeping.gif

Let's cut the guy some slack. I believe in his bio he said he is a Bruin. There are no bad Bruins! angel.gif

I have not read all the comments posted here after my last one, but I will soon with understanding, of course, rather than an "I can't believe you are saying this to/about me" attitude. As I have said before, I don't think what I did was wrong (or for anyone to do it is wrong). Admittedly, I am taken aback by some comments that come off as self-righteous. Plus, I'm still scratching my head over why so many people have a vested interest in this topic.

By the way, please keep in mind that if I were on this board solely to make a profit on comics, I would go after way more books going sale on this thread. But I don't.

In fact, I am more involved/interested in the PGM and GOLD threads. And I have made books available to forumites in the past and will continue to do so, not caring what buyers do with the book.

I want to finally say that I am highly appreciative of the willingness that many board members display in exchanging knowldge about the comic hobby. That is awesome. And I hope I have contributed in the same way, at least in some small degree.

Thanks,

Peter

Actually, most of the recent ones are in your defense. People obviously have different views about the marketplace and that's cool. I was just kind of caught by surprise to see the ebay listing so soon, but really it's no big deal. I was happy with deal we made, you were happy, and I guess that's all that matters. There's no hard feelings on my part. Let's forget it and move on. flowerred.gif

And for the record I think you have made a contribution in the GA forum and I appreciate your posts.

To assume that every sale on these boards goes into the buyer's collection is delusional.

Well, all my purchases here are still in my collection.

I feel sad for all the collectors here as it'll be more and more difficult to get honestly priced books (and maybe bargains) if "flippers" are becoming the majority...

Sadly every book I've purchased off these boards (and that was accurately graded) has remained in my collection. I must be an *spoon* in your eyes. In fact one of the main reasons I enjoy this forum is due to the opportunities to buy books for my collection at reasonable prices. It gets old to find flippers casually bumping up prices on everything they can buy off these and other boards which were meant for the collecting community.

That’s the whole reason this forum is even here, for buying and selling books to COLLECTORS. It was formed on the idea that collectors sell to collectors. Go buy and flip on eBay. 893naughty-thumb.gif

To assume that every sale on these boards goes into the buyer's collection is delusional.

I feel sad for all the collectors here as it'll be more and more difficult to get honestly priced books (and maybe bargains) if "flippers" are becoming the majority...

Sadly every book I've purchased off these boards (and that was accurately graded) has remained in my collection. I must be an *spoon* in your eyes. In fact one of the main reasons I enjoy this forum is due to the opportunities to buy books for my collection at reasonable prices. It gets old to find flippers casually bumping up prices on everything they can buy off these and other boards which were meant for the collecting community.

That’s the whole reason this forum is even here, for buying and selling books to COLLECTORS. It was formed on the idea that collectors sell to collectors. Go buy and flip on eBay. 893naughty-thumb.gif

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

I hate flippers. Let them burn 893applaud-thumb.gif

dolphin.jpg

One you are not a spoon and two I also like what the sense of community provides. I would prefer this board have more of your kind. But you really can't expect the selling of books on this forum to be dissociated from the rest of the world that sets FMV. It would be grossly unfair to the seller to the point no one would sell on here because the extremely small population of buyers would greatly deflate the sale price. Trade yes (which would just fine with me), as equal exchanges could occur regardless of the value of the books.

If the book is being offered for a price that a dealer would pay so he could in turn sell for an even greater price (which would define FMV), why is that original price not enough of a "bargain"? Sellers need to realize something reasonably close to FMV for their books here, because most sellers on these boards take that money and go out to the real world market and buy another book for their collection.

in the grand scheme of things, what you did isn't really "wrong." it does violate the spirit of the board, imho, but if the seller is happy with the sale, that's the most important thing.

ultimately, these boards can be seen under two disparate lights; the first is the light of collectors assisting other collectors with their needs and wants, the second is "money talks, *spoon* walks."

i guess it depends on what you're comfortable with, at the end of the day.

it is terribly gauche to throw a recently purchased Board Sale on feeBay, in my own personal opinion, but the boundries of same begin and end at my keyboard. just two cents, toss'd out

Self-righteous drivel.

Anyway, no more comments coming from me about this topic...no mas.

how the 893censored-thumb.gif do you get "self-righteous" out of this? i mean, "drivel" i can understand, but self-righteous? i don't have a 893censored-thumb.gif righteous bone in my body for the love of pete

Sell me all your Paratrooper books, that I don't already have and I guarantee that they won't see another hand for at least 20 years (unless I upgrade them).

I have to give you credit for sensitizing me to paratrooper covers. I have this one

fightingmarines46fvfue7.jpg

but I kind of like it grin.gif

I knew some guys at St. Joe's University in the mid 80's who were jumpers (some were also jet pilots) either ROTC or enlisted. They lived on a second floor apartment that was at least 20 feet up and they would usually just jump out the window instead of taking the stairs when leaving.

Sell me all your Paratrooper books, that I don't already have and I guarantee that they won't see another hand for at least 20 years (unless I upgrade them).

I have to give you credit for sensitizing me to paratrooper covers. I have this one

I knew some guys at St. Joe's University in the mid 80's who were jumpers (some were also jet pilots) either ROTC or enlisted. They lived on a second floor apartment that was at least 20 feet up and they would usually just jump out the window instead of taking the stairs when leaving.

Looks like the war is lost foreheadslap.gif

Looks like the war is lost foreheadslap.gif

Do NOT underestimate the power of the Paratrooper, that trooper in the picture is just trying to figure out which arse he's going to put his boot in first.

Airborne

and p.s. takeit.gif