• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FS Planet Comics 53 FN-VF 7.0

59 posts in this topic

It's a really sweet copy; I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Thanks. I know I will! Bondage, baby!

That exchange of PM's makes me think the seller was cutting or accepting a lower price because he was mislead believing it was an important book for you to acquire. It doesn't say,

Thanks. I'm selling it for more, baby!

gossip.gif

in the grand scheme of things, what you did isn't really "wrong." it does violate the spirit of the board, imho, but if the seller is happy with the sale, that's the most important thing.

ultimately, these boards can be seen under two disparate lights; the first is the light of collectors assisting other collectors with their needs and wants, the second is "money talks, *spoon* walks."

i guess it depends on what you're comfortable with, at the end of the day.

it is terribly gauche to throw a recently purchased Board Sale on feeBay, in my own personal opinion, but the boundries of same begin and end at my keyboard. just two cents, toss'd out

Nothing wrong with what I did, right?

Depends on what "code" you follow... foreheadslap.gif

Are you implying I did something unethical?!

I'm not implying anything...if you thought it was ok then fine...that's your "code"...

Of course, it is ok, but not by my standards, but in n absolute sense. There was no written contract on what I am able to do with the book after I paid for it. I was entitled (as is everyone) to do what I wish with the book unless illegal, even if it is to crumble it up and throw it in the trash.

Any other opinion, I believe, is self-righteous. confused-smiley-013.gif

screwy.gif Keep telling yourself that and you'll keep believing it.

I'm not implying anything...if you thought it was ok then fine...that's your "code"...

Of course, it is ok, but not by my standards, but in n absolute sense. There was no written contract on what I am able to do with the book after I paid for it. I was entitled (as is everyone) to do what I wish with the book unless illegal, even if it is to crumble it up and throw it in the trash.

i think he believes it already. sumo.gif

hi.gif

Thanks. I know I will! Bondage, baby!

That exchange of PM's makes me think the seller was cutting or accepting a lower price because he was mislead believing it was an important book for you to acquire. It doesn't say,

Thanks. I'm selling it for more, baby!

gossip.gif

This is becoming a decent discussion.

That exchange of words was obviously made after the transaction, Paul. I did not coersce the seller to offer the book at any price. It was a matter-of-fact offer, then counteroffer type situation.

Plus, my board profile and signature both include links to my comic listings on eBay Therefore, the seller who has done a mild background check will surmise the likelihood I will sell the book.

And not to get philosophical, but what is "to enjoy?" That, in and of itself, is a subjective experience. Indeed, I have and will enjoy Planet Comics #53 in many ways until I part with it. I mean, I would be moronic not to appreciate Jim Lee's artwork and Dennis O'neil's storytelling in this modern age variant cover book. And yes, I know why this book is historically important. How can I NOT know that I am picking up the 1st Donald Duck appearance in drag?! Oh, that Donald, he is such a riot.

Yes, thank you.

in the grand scheme of things, what you did isn't really "wrong." it does violate the spirit of the board, imho, but if the seller is happy with the sale, that's the most important thing.

ultimately, these boards can be seen under two disparate lights; the first is the light of collectors assisting other collectors with their needs and wants, the second is "money talks, *spoon* walks."

i guess it depends on what you're comfortable with, at the end of the day.

it is terribly gauche to throw a recently purchased Board Sale on feeBay, in my own personal opinion, but the boundries of same begin and end at my keyboard. just two cents, toss'd out

Self-righteous drivel.

Anyway, no more comments coming from me about this topic...no mas.

This is becoming a decent discussion.

That exchange of words was obviously made after the transaction, Paul. I did not coersce the seller to offer the book at any price. It was a matter-of-fact offer, then counteroffer type situation.

Plus, my board profile and signature both include links to my comic listings on eBay Therefore, the seller who has done a mild background check will surmise the likelihood I will sell the book.

And not to get philosophical, but what is "to enjoy?" That, in and of itself, is a subjective experience. Indeed, I have and will enjoy Planet Comics #53 in many ways until I part with it. I mean, I would be moronic not to appreciate Jim Lee's artwork and Dennis O'neil's storytelling in this modern age variant cover book. And yes, I know why this book is historically important. How can I NOT know that I am picking up the 1st Donald Duck appearance in drag?! Oh, that Donald, he is such a riot.

Peter, I'm just busting your balls poke2.gif as long as the seller wasn't mislead, the buyer can do anything they want with the book after they become the owner. As long as a seller isn't "tricked" to part with it at a lower price to pad the new owner's margin on a quick flip. That's the ethical issue, not the action of reselling it in a week. You own it, you do what you want with it.

To assume that every sale on these boards goes into the buyer's collection is delusional. Most on these boards are flippers; if not a week after the buy, in time. Personally, half of what I buy on the boards is becasue the price is so damn low I know I can flip it for 50% profit anytime (although I never seem to have much time to sell). The other half of what I buy I intend to keep, but half of that ends up getting sold because when i get it it doesn't meet my standard of eye appeal.

That most on these boards are flippers is suggested by the constant WTB posts for books perceived as "about to become hot". The only reason for the WTB post is to get something cheap now to flip later. Who ever cared about Deathstroke or the first appearance of (fill in name here) or whatever group is rumored to get their own cartoon? For that reason, I scour the WTB posts to see what people think are up and coming books. Sometimes they are correct, sometimes not. IMO it's usally not worth the effort for that transiently hot book that will be forgotten after a 1-2 months of being "hot".

As already said, the only problem with flipping board buys is if you try to beat down the seller because you "need it for your collection". That's a big 893naughty-thumb.gif

To assume that every sale on these boards goes into the buyer's collection is delusional.

Well, all my purchases here are still in my collection.

I feel sad for all the collectors here as it'll be more and more difficult to get honestly priced books (and maybe bargains) if "flippers" are becoming the majority...

Wow, I just saw the ebay listing this morning and came on here and saw this thread for the first time. I have to say I do have somewhat mixed emotions about it this. Peter did not mislead me into thinking it was for his personal collection, but on the other hand I certainly didn't think he was just looking for an immediate flip. I definately would not have agreed to offer so quickly had I known. Perhaps I mislead myself by thinking that the spirit of the board marketplace was more about helping each other acquire books they need rather than just quick profit. I suppose that's my fault for being naive. Live and learn I guess. confused-smiley-013.gif

BTW Peter, the least you could have done is leave me a thumbsup2.gif in the Kudos thread. sumo.gif

Wow, I just saw the ebay listing this morning and came on here and saw this thread for the first time. I have to say I do have somewhat mixed emotions about it this. Peter did not mislead me into thinking it was for his personal collection, but on the other hand I certainly didn't think he was just looking for an immediate flip. I definately would not have agreed to offer so quickly had I known. Perhaps I mislead myself by thinking that the spirit of the board marketplace was more about helping each other acquire books they need rather than just quick profit. I suppose that's my fault for being naive. Live and learn I guess. confused-smiley-013.gif

BTW Peter, the least you could have done is leave me a thumbsup2.gif in the Kudos thread. sumo.gif

Very long overdue, but kudos posted. Again, thank you for the book. I deeply apologize if you were surprised at what happened. I was not trying to be deceptive or malicious. I assumed people know that I sell as my eBay listings link is part of my board signature. But in the future, if there is an item on sale on the board and I intend to sell rather than keep in my personal collection (which, of course, happens), then I will be make it more clear.

peter