• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

Hehe I knew you'd give me grief about topolino, that's why I put it there tongue.gif Not my fault if you didn't qualify your statement by saying *US* comic book devil.gif

Four Color - I meant issues not years. Same as topolino. But you already know that. stooges.gifinsane.gif

If you've owned 70 ff1s, I can see where the shine would have gone off the apple by now blush.gif I've only had one.

I loved the topolino reference...you were channeling BLB!

angel.gif

27_laughing.gif I try, I try 893applaud-thumb.gif

Here's a pic of the first digest for your enjoyment poke2.gif There was also a daily that preceeded in the mid 30s but alas I can find no pic.

1568196-it_tl_0001a.jpg

...and which one would you choose, a vg TL1 (digest), or NM TL 706 with the first appearance of Paperinik? wink.gif

1568196-gen14.jpg

I know you'll probably stay up all night trying to choose flowerred.gifflowerred.gifstooges.gif

1568196-gen14.jpg.38c67c20482be1f764f2d29ca4f69566.jpg

Man, you aren't even trying anymore, are you? poke2.gif

Cap 74 wins by a landslide.

I would tend to pick cap 74 also because I think world's best is just not that exciting a title, but in my opinion the prices on cap 74 are pretty ridiculous these days. 5 grand for a mid grade late run timely superhero book that is really only notable because of the horror elements? Yikes! I'm not that far from a low grade or restored cap 1 at those price levels!

Man, you aren't even trying anymore, are you? poke2.gif

Cap 74 wins by a landslide.

No doubt. Even some of the DC guys are bound to get this one right. poke2.gif

Don't make me smack you down again. stooges.gif

Next time let's compare a lame Young Allies with a Bailey Spectre cover.

Re: WB vs Cap, I'll take the Cap 74.

To Bronty's point: All American 61 is similarly priced above the books around it because it also is a striking cover image with a horror element. The Cap 74 has one of only 3 cover appearances of the Red Skull and this is the most impressive. Just like people look for Joker appearances there are those that look for Red Skull covers and stories -- wouldn't he be the most sought after Timely GA super-villain? Nor is this a common enough book to meet the demand so the high price ensures that only the most die-hard (or lucky) fans will have a copy.

Both sold for approx. $5,400 4 years ago. Which one would you choose, and why?

1568179-best.jpg

..............or

1568179-cap74.jpg

Cap #74 for me.....everytime ( which is not that often ) a copy comes up for sale, people go nuts for it....it is a high demand, classic cover, really cool book with striking, rich colors and cover art.

I love the later Caps, but, and I know the WB 1 is a cheesy book, I have always had a soft spot for it. Square bound, #1, DC, Batman, etc.

I choose the WB 1.

Actually, I kind of agree. The Cap 74 is a book whose rarity I've come to appreciate thanks to the boards, but it somehow doesn't grab me by the throat the way it does the rest of you. I'm an early DC guy anyway, and the World's Best is #1 of a title I was buying as a kid so nostalgia would probably win out. WB for me.

To Bronty's point: All American 61 is similarly priced above the books around it because it also is a striking cover image with a horror element. The Cap 74 has one of only 3 cover appearances of the Red Skull and this is the most impressive. Just like people look for Joker appearances there are those that look for Red Skull covers and stories -- wouldn't he be the most sought after Timely GA super-villain? Nor is this a common enough book to meet the demand so the high price ensures that only the most die-hard (or lucky) fans will have a copy.

All American 61 is also a first appearance don't forget!

Maybe it's just me but sometimes I just have to step back and shake my head at where prices are at these days (11 grand for a vf reform school girl? Jeesus.). Maybe I'm just bitter because all the good stuff costs as much as a car! insane.gif

Hehe I knew you'd give me grief about topolino, that's why I put it there tongue.gif Not my fault if you didn't qualify your statement by saying *US* comic book devil.gif

Four Color - I meant issues not years. Same as topolino. But you already know that. stooges.gifinsane.gif

If you've owned 70 ff1s, I can see where the shine would have gone off the apple by now blush.gif I've only had one.

I loved the topolino reference...you were channeling BLB!

angel.gif

27_laughing.gif I try, I try 893applaud-thumb.gif

Here's a pic of the first digest for your enjoyment poke2.gif There was also a daily that preceeded in the mid 30s but alas I can find no pic.

1568196-it_tl_0001a.jpg

...and which one would you choose, a vg TL1 (digest), or NM TL 706 with the first appearance of Paperinik? wink.gif

1568196-gen14.jpg

I know you'll probably stay up all night trying to choose flowerred.gifflowerred.gifstooges.gif

TL1 in a landslide! Paperinink gives me the creeps. shy.gif

Maybe it's just me but sometimes I just have to step back and shake my head at where prices are at these days (11 grand for a vf reform school girl? Jeesus.). Maybe I'm just bitter because all the good stuff costs as much as a car! insane.gif

Excellent points (as usual) Bronty.

So many say the hobby is dying, yet record prices get paid every day for everything from moderns to plats. I've been hearing the same old doom and gloom for a long, long time now.

What we have here is a very healthy hobby, that I can't afford to collect everything I want in! mad.gif

AA 61 is still pretty affordable considering how cool the cover is and the first app of Solomon Grundy. smile.gif

Now, pre-Robin Tecs are crazy. I think that train has left the station for me. frown.gif

The Cap 74 has one of only 3 cover appearances of the Red Skull and this is the most impressive. Just like people look for Joker appearances there are those that look for Red Skull covers and stories -- wouldn't he be the most sought after Timely GA super-villain? Nor is this a common enough book to meet the demand so the high price ensures that only the most die-hard (or lucky) fans will have a copy.

Actually Red Skull has 4 cover appearances in Captain America Comics (3, 16, 61, 74) and he is also on the cover of Young Allies 1 & 4.

Alas, I'm not real crazy about any of the Red Skull covers. How I wish Kirby had done the cover is Cap 3. His interior Red Skull splashes are much cooler than the covers.

The Cap 74 has one of only 3 cover appearances of the Red Skull and this is the most impressive. Just like people look for Joker appearances there are those that look for Red Skull covers and stories -- wouldn't he be the most sought after Timely GA super-villain? Nor is this a common enough book to meet the demand so the high price ensures that only the most die-hard (or lucky) fans will have a copy.

Actually Red Skull has 4 cover appearances in Captain America Comics (3, 16, 61, 74) and he is also on the cover of Young Allies 1 & 4.

Alas, I'm not real crazy about any of the Red Skull covers. How I wish Kirby had done the cover is Cap 3. His interior Red Skull splashes are much cooler than the covers.

Thanks for the correction -- but it still shows that the total number is quite small. (There are quite a few GA Joker covers by comparison.)

AA 61 is the first appearance of Solomon Gundy but my impression has been that Red Skull is the more important villain in more people's minds. Is there any other Timely villain that comes close?

I've not a bought a Cap 74 because, while I would love to own one, I realized that there were other cool books for which the demand and price were much lower. I chose those. But the appeal of the book to a Timely collector seems very straight-forward to me and I can see why it goes for what it does.

Re: Reform School Girl. I would not have guessed that book to go for that price, though I certainly expected 5k. 11K should be enough to bring out other copies so that we can judge the true scarcity of the issue and the depth of the demand.

gossip.gif Hey, Metropolisent, that price was almost enough to make you look like a wholesaler of the DR copy! poke2.gif

To Bronty's point: All American 61 is similarly priced above the books around it because it also is a striking cover image with a horror element.

AA 61 is still pretty affordable considering how cool the cover is and the first app of Solomon Grundy. smile.gif

Now, pre-Robin Tecs are crazy. I think that train has left the station for me. frown.gif

Norinn;

Not sure if I would call AA #61 affordable. Definitely affordable if you are thinking in terms of OS guide prices only. takeit.gif

The only problem here is that whenever a copy does show up in the marketplace, it tends to go for a substantial premium over guide. I still remember a mid-grade copy in one of the major auctions selling for around or possibly above top guide price several years ago.

Also don't seem to see this issue showing up in the marketplace that often. I guess the classic cover image must make this a keeper in everybody's collection once they get their hands on one, as the rest of the run is generally void of any classic covers.

Thanks for the correction -- but it still shows that the total number is quite small. (There are quite a few GA Joker covers by comparison.)

AA 61 is the first appearance of Solomon Gundy but my impression has been that Red Skull is the more important villain in more people's minds. Is there any other Timely villain that comes close?

Are their any other Timely villains period?

28 to be exact. grin.gif (18 in Detective and 10 in Batman)

I am surprised the Red Skull didn't get used more in the GA (only 13 appearances in total). But part of that is the fact that GA Cap only ran for 78 issues. Batman had 102 GA issues and Tec had almost 200.

Norinn;

Not sure if I would call AA #61 affordable. Definitely affordable if you are thinking in terms of OS guide prices only. takeit.gif

The only problem here is that whenever a copy does show up in the marketplace, it tends to go for a substantial premium over guide. I still remember a mid-grade copy in one of the major auctions selling for around or possibly above top guide price several years ago.

Also don't seem to see this issue showing up in the marketplace that often. I guess the classic cover image must make this a keeper in everybody's collection once they get their hands on one, as the rest of the run is generally void of any classic covers.

I saw a raw VG- copy go for under $1000. That seems cheap to me. confused-smiley-013.gif

So many say the hobby is dying, yet record prices get paid every day for everything from moderns to plats. I've been hearing the same old doom and gloom for a long, long time now.

What we have here is a very healthy hobby, that I can't afford to collect everything I want in! mad.gif

Very true, the hobby's been very healthy for a very long time now. You may not be able to collect everything Bill, but you're not doing too badly!! yay.gif (Loved the group shot pics you put up when you first came on).

I have to go with the Bagpiper! 27_laughing.gif

1568196-it_tl_0001a.jpg

1568196-gen14.jpg