• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

Hmmm.... Spidey is my favorite character and most comics I am buying these days are SA, but I still like the Captain America #1. His first appearance vs. Spidey's 2nd takes it for me. Also, as stated before I would rather save 80% and get a 9.0 issue. Who knows, I could resub that and get 9.2 or better....

I don't mean to interrupt this one because I think this one is pretty interesting but I've got another one I've been wondering about. (I basically sold one of these to get the other and have been wondering about the decision.)

Assuming similar to identical grades, for the same amount of $$ would you rather have:

Action Comics 2-10

or

Marvel Mystery 1-10

(Sorry for not having pictures)

I would take the Cap #1.

Again its rarity vs grade. Though Cap#1 is relatively common in low grade there aren't:

1.) relatively that many more copies that would be added that could effect the comic's position in the census.

2.) many pressing candidates that could change the census position (5 9.4s and 6 9.2s)

I don't mean to interrupt this one because I think this one is pretty interesting but I've got another one I've been wondering about. (I basically sold one of these to get the other and have been wondering about the decision.)

Assuming similar to identical grades, for the same amount of $$ would you rather have:

Action Comics 2-10

or

Marvel Mystery 1-10

(Sorry for not having pictures)

Marvel 1 -10 would be an easy choice. You get 1, 4 and 9. I'm a DC guy as we all know, but that would be a no brainer for me.

OK, catching up on the last few all at once:

Cap #74 over World's Best #1 (even though I don't think Cap 74 is particularly scarce, it certainly isn't a sit around book like the World's Best).

Phantom Lady #16 over the Red Dragon (I can't remember once in the last 20 years someone even mentioning the Red Dragon in conversation).

Batman #5 over Flash #123 (the 214th or so appearance of the GA Flash - big deal).

Cap #1 over Spidey #1 - and just barely, by the slimmest of margins. I would take a 9.4 Fantasy #15 over either of the other two though, and contrary to FIlter I think the Spidey #1 has the far better upside, there are legions upon legions of Spidey fans over the world (whereas most Japanese collectors don't care about Captain America).

And for Filters Action vs. Marvel Mystery question, if it is really Marvel 1-10, and not 2-10 I would take the Marvel run in a heartbeat, you get one of the top 6 keys plus the #4 and #9 instead of 2nd -10th appearance of the most important character.

On May 20th, 2005, both of these books sold for $126,500 at Heritage. Both are NM 9.4 unrestored pedigrees. With your own REAL money at stake, which one would you choose, and why ????

1585215-tec38.jpg

............................or

1585215-af15.jpg

I'd sleep well knowing I instantly chose the AF15

1585215-af15.jpg.74a4fd36d973a8007f69d649e120ab9b.jpg

AF15. 1st robin vs. 1st spidey? No contest if I'm spending real money. $100k+ seems like way too much for the first app of Batman's homoerotic chum. I realize that rarity is on the Tecs side, but come on...

I'm usually a DC guy in these matchups, but I'd take the AF 15 as well. It doesn't get more key than that.

As an aside, for such a key book, it's a shame Detective #38 wasn't given a more appealing background color. Maybe it looks better in hand?...but that sickly pink is always kind of a turnoff when I see it in scans.

Normally I'd go for GA over SA, but am not a Robin fan, and because I'm hardly alone in this, I think a 9.4 AF #15 will always be easier to liquidate at full value than a 9.4 'Tec #38, even if the 'Tec is rarer. But to be honest if I had $125,000 to spend on one comic, neither one would be my choice.

let's try this again..( I hate it when it's a shut out tongue.gif ). Same AF15 for $126,000, matched up to a more comparable opponent at $119,000. Now which one would you choose, and why???

1585436-af15.jpg

......................or

1585436-mf52.jpg

still AF15 for me, but not such a quick choice this time around

1585436-mf52.jpg.0826c7c475f20e5a4934d818d45d45fa.jpg