• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

AF #15 over Tec #38

but I would take the More Fun over the AF#15. The AF #15 may have more investment potential but the More Fun for me has more kudos.

In reality I'd probably keep the cash, borrow $40k more (or sell other comics) and buy the unrestored Tec #27 on Metro.

Normally I'd go for GA over SA, but am not a Robin fan, and because I'm hardly alone in this, I think a 9.4 AF #15 will always be easier to liquidate at full value than a 9.4 'Tec #38, even if the 'Tec is rarer. But to be honest if I had $125,000 to spend on one comic, neither one would be my choice.

I agree. If I had $125,000.00 to spend on one book, You can get a low-mid unrestored Detective Comics 27 or Action Comics 1. If you go restored you can get much nicer one. For that money, I just wouldn't buy Amazing Fantasy 15 or Detective Comics 38.

Unfortunately I think I would still take AF15 over MF52. I just hate that the MF52 is slightly restored. Assuming nothing's been done to the spidey (big assumption) I'd rather have the untouched book. Damn tough choice though... that's a pretty MF52.

Unfortunately I think I would still take AF15 over MF52. I just hate that the MF52 is slightly restored. Assuming nothing's been done to the spidey (big assumption) I'd rather have the untouched book. Damn tough choice though... that's a pretty MF52.

word for word exactly as I saw it on this one.....Bronty is quickly becoming a candidate for the Gold Boards Awards thread for the "really knows his *spoon*" award as far as I'm concerned.

Normally I'd go for GA over SA, but am not a Robin fan, and because I'm hardly alone in this, I think a 9.4 AF #15 will always be easier to liquidate at full value than a 9.4 'Tec #38, even if the 'Tec is rarer. But to be honest if I had $125,000 to spend on one comic, neither one would be my choice.

I agree. If I had $125,000.00 to spend on one book, You can get a low-mid unrestored Detective Comics 27 or Action Comics 1. If you go restored you can get much nicer one. For that money, I just wouldn't buy Amazing Fantasy 15 or Detective Comics 38.

I'm with DK on this one.

I wouldn't spend $125K on any AF 15, or Tec 38, and certainly not for a restored MF 52, even if it is the Larson.

If you held a gun to my head, I would take the Tec 38 over either of the other two, because I need one for my run, and just couldn't see spending six figures on a silver age key in 9.4, it's not like that book is rare, even in grade.

and just couldn't see spending six figures on a silver age key in 9.4, it's not like that book is rare, even in grade.

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif Bill, you know I acclaim.gif you, but there is virtually nothing more spectacular in the entire comic world than a NM 9.4 unrestored AF15. It is the safest place to park $126k, along with a mid-grade unrestored CGC graded Tec 27 and Action 1.

For me the AF#15 is the best investment and if the More Fun had a better cover (say like issue #54) I might consider it.

You are probably right SS. I've been wrong about AF 15 so many times I've lost count. Everytime I think it has topped out, it goes for more. But how many people can there be that will keep paying that much bread for a book when there are so many of them. I mean a 9.8 or 9.9 and now you have my attention. But 9.4, not so much.

For me the AF#15 is the best investment and if the More Fun had a better cover (say like issue #54) I might consider it.

You are probably right SS. I've been wrong about AF 15 so many times I've lost count. Everytime I think it has topped out, it goes for more. But how many people can there be that will keep paying that much bread for a book when there are so many of them. I mean a 9.8 or 9.9 and now you have my attention. But 9.4, not so much.

Agree with you but the same would apply for the More Fun #52 but it won't have the same captive market in the long run. The world's most popular super hero has more than a few fans with enough coin to throw at these books. I'm one big lottery win away from buying one. wink.gif

Its popularity is overcomming its lack of scarcity.Its keeping the prices High.

Like it or not Spiderman is the most popular superhero in america today. Actually,I like.

Here is the sales chart graph for 9.4 AF 15 over the past two years from GPA..Not a good trend nes pas?

af15graph.jpg

Agree with you but the same would apply for the More Fun #52 but it won't have the same captive market in the long run. The world's most popular super hero has more than a few fans with enough coin to throw at these books. I'm one big lottery win away from buying one. wink.gif

I'm rooting for you bro! But, if you win, buy the 9.6! grin.gif

Bill, with all due respect the trend line graphs from GPA are useless on huge books like that. That trend line is probably (I'm guessing) drawn from two or three data points. One really big (or really small) sale will skew that graph like no tomorrow. Besides... what's the tag line you see on mutual fund reports? "Past performance is not a predictor of future earnings?" Something like that. Applies equally here.

Biggest risk IMO on 9.4 AF15s is that a bunch of 9.0s and 9.2s will get pressed or resubbed up to 9.4. But whatever. It's still a NM copy of the first appearance of the #1 (hate to say it) superhero today.

word for word exactly as I saw it on this one.....Bronty is quickly becoming a candidate for the Gold Boards Awards thread for the "really knows his *spoon*" award as far as I'm concerned.

Aw shucks blush.gif Same for you, bro. Never thought I'd be saying that during the obadiah thread 27_laughing.gif You're a great contributor to the discussion and this is my favorite thread of the year.

Bill, with all due respect the trend line graphs from GPA are useless on huge books like that. That trend line is probably (I'm guessing) drawn from two or three data points. One really big (or really small) sale will skew that graph like no tomorrow. Besides... what's the tag line you see on mutual fund reports? "Past performance is not a predictor of future earnings?" Something like that. Applies equally here.

Biggest risk IMO on 9.4 AF15s is that a bunch of 9.0s and 9.2s will get pressed or resubbed up to 9.4. But whatever. It's still a NM copy of the first appearance of the #1 (hate to say it) superhero today.

Just a snapshot in time I agree, but even if it is three dots on the graph, there are only six known dots, so if half traded and are trending down, it is still noteworthy.

I agree Spidey is the top superhero of today and has been for a long time.

But I also agree with you that 9.4's will continue to appear, true raws and possibly altered lower grades. That will diminish the others worth, in my opinion. Supply and demand usually drive price. If there continues to be an increased supply of 9.4 AF 15's won't that one day outstrip demand, and hence freeze or even lower prices?

Not many 9.4 big golden age keys exist at all, so they should remain a steady investment, for the filthy rich that is! grin.gif

Am I the only one hoping that we can do more GA comparisons in this thread? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif