• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ditko's Yearbook

42 posts in this topic

It's strange how highschoolers in the 1940s often look like they're in their early 30s. Probably the 15 mile walk to get there, day after day. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

ditko4.jpg

Your grand-kids will say the same about your yearbook.

I use to think that people looked "old" in old books and movies also... until I got older that is =)

It's strange how highschoolers in the 1940s often look like they're in their early 30s. Probably the 15 mile walk to get there, day after day. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

ditko4.jpg

Uphill...both ways...barefoot... crazy.gif

It's strange how highschoolers in the 1940s often look like they're in their early 30s.

Actually, most people dressed more prefessionally back then, wore their hair in a more adult manner, carried themselves with some class and maturity, etc.

So basically, we've regressed big-time.

Actually, most people dressed more prefessionally back then, wore their hair in a more adult manner, carried themselves with some class and maturity, etc.

What are you talking about? confused-smiley-013.gif

dresscodeviolation.jpg

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifstooges.gif

27_laughing.gif

Can you imagine what this creature would look like if she took all that junk out?

893whatthe.gif

It's strange how highschoolers in the 1940s often look like they're in their early 30s.

So you were around during that era, JC?

As for your rose-tinted vision of those bygone days, I suppose you may have a point - no internet comic message boards back then.... wink.gif

As for your rose-tinted vision of those bygone days...

So you are disagreeing, and stating that kids and teenagers today, look, act and dress more adult and professional than those in the 40's and 50's?

On school picture day, I remember my Dad telling me he HAD to go to the barber and put on his "best clothes" each and every time. Now, kids stroll in like they just woke up on a curb.

So you are disagreeing, and stating that kids and teenagers today, look, act and dress more adult and professional than those in the 40's and 50's?

On school picture day, I remember my Dad telling me he HAD to go to the barber and put on his "best clothes" each and every time. Now, kids stroll in like they just woke up on a curb.

It's those same people that HAD to do that stuff that eventually rebelled against "The Man" and are parents of the kids today that wear anything cause they aren't told otherwise. acclaim.gif

It's those same people that HAD to do that stuff that eventually rebelled against "The Man" and are parents of the kids today that wear anything cause they aren't told otherwise.

I should also note that parenting skills have dropped to almost nil these days. foreheadslap.gif

What are you talking about? confused-smiley-013.gif

dresscodeviolation.jpg

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifstooges.gif

893whatthe.gif Thats some nasty *spoon*

Some kids maybe, but by no means all.

They had juvenile delinquency and crime back then too, JC. Maybe kids looked and dressed "more professionally" but it wasn't out of choice.

And as for the way they acted - they were more deferential, naive, and complacent back then. (According to people I've talked to who grew up in that era, like my dad and his brothers and sisters).

They had juvenile delinquency and crime back then too, JC. Maybe kids looked and dressed "more professionally" but it wasn't out of choice.

And as for the way they acted - they were more deferential, naive, and complacent back then. (According to people I've talked to who grew up in that era, like my dad and his brothers and sisters).

Goldust that might be a British scenario.

I agree with JC on this. Looking at my parents yearbooks everyone dressed up. Even the extremely poor kids had one good outfit and hair combed nicely.

Even the delinquent that you mentioned would be expected to look sharp on picture day.

Whoa, why do people take a simple statement, and try to read something into it.

Check out the original comment I was replying to - it had to do with why kids in old school pictures look more adult or older than their years.

My reply was an accurate one - many young people dressed better, got hair cuts, and generally presented a more adult appearance than the kids of today - *especially* for school picture day.

How you turned that around to me thinking life back then was idyllic (my grandparents lived through the Depression and told me horror stories) or that crime and other negative aspects of society never existed, is a real mystery. foreheadslap.gif

Goldust that might be a British scenario.

I agree with JC on this. Looking at my parents yearbooks everyone dressed up. Even the extremely poor kids had one good outfit and hair combed nicely.

Even the delinquent that you mentioned would be expected to look sharp on picture day.

I wasn't arguing about the way they dressed, just the way they acted and their worldview. Looking neat and tidy with your hair combed on yearbook day doesn't equate with adulthood and maturity.

Not that teenage Brits of that time would've been any better, more worldly or radically different - not that that was my point either.....

My reply was an accurate one - many young people dressed better, got hair cuts, and generally presented a more adult appearance than the kids of today - *especially* for school picture day.

Hence not really looking like high school kids anymore...