• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ditko's Yearbook

42 posts in this topic

They had juvenile delinquency and crime back then too, JC. Maybe kids looked and dressed "more professionally" but it wasn't out of choice.

Whoa, why do people take a simple statement, and try to read something into it.

Check out the original comment I was replying to - it had to do with why kids in old school pictures look more adult or older than their years.

My reply was an accurate one - many young people dressed better, got hair cuts, and generally presented a more adult appearance than the kids of today - *especially* for school picture day.

How you turned that around to me thinking life back then was idyllic (my grandparents lived through the Depression and told me horror stories) or that crime and other negative aspects of society never existed, is a real mystery. foreheadslap.gif

Fair point, but my main argument was about the use of the word "acted". You said they looked more mature, dressed better, and were presented better. No disagreement. The point I was trying to make was whether they were more mature or not.

My reply was an accurate one - many young people dressed better, got hair cuts, and generally presented a more adult appearance than the kids of today - *especially* for school picture day.

Hence not really looking like high school kids anymore...

That depends on your POV. What high-school kids look like differs greatly on the era you're referring to - and there is no consistent base or point of reference.

That depends on your POV. What high-school kids look like differs greatly on the era you're referring to - and there is no consistent base or point of reference.

well high school kids should look different from their parents...otherwise they are just mini-adults. but then again there just wasn't "youth culture" prior to WW2.

Maybe it was just a world wide case of Ephebiphobia confused-smiley-013.gif

1447265-amazadv02.jpg

This cover from 1961 comes to mind, and it may be a stretch but overall is a good representation. In fact take any Archie cover from this period and before and all the kids are dressed well except for Jughead.

However Jughead would have dressed up for picture day or his parents would have been ticked. Dadgum there's a lot of social commentary here. crazy.gif

1447265-amazadv02.jpg.7ace536e07a90e36395f465559790286.jpg

The point I was trying to make was whether they were more mature or not.

Pretty tough to do using just a picture. 27_laughing.gif

I was referring to your use of the word "acted" regarding the behaviour of children of that era -the picture has absolutely nothing to do with it. foreheadslap.gif

I was referring to your use of the word "acted" regarding the behaviour of children of that era -the picture has absolutely nothing to do with it. foreheadslap.gif

I feel like a school teacher on here.

ACTING (and looking) mature is far different than ACTUALLY BEING mature, which is what you're trying to discern from a picture.

End of lesson. sumo.gif

I feel like a school teacher on here.

ACTING (and looking) mature is far different than ACTUALLY BEING mature, which is what you're trying to discern from a picture.

End of lesson. sumo.gif

Aaaaaarrrrghhhh!!!!! Where's the banging my head against a wall graemlin? Did you read my post?? I wasn't trying to discern ANYTHING from a friggin' picture!!!!

Just in the last 20 years there has been a precipitous lowering of the bar in what is considered acceptable dress.

I worked at a supermarket for 3 years when I was in highschool - 1984 - 1986. We were expected to wear slacks or corduroys (no jeans), a dress shirt tucked in and a tie. (I can't tell you how many ties I accidentally cut with the box cutter tongue.gif) I knew my job and where every single item in the store was located. Customers asked me a question I was expected to respond respectfully and helpfully. Most of my co-workers were the same.

Look at the kids in the workforce today. No uniforms or standards of attire. Yesterday a girl wearing skin tight jeans and a belly shirt was my cashier. The guys roaming the isles are worse dressed than the customers and they have all kinds of junk hanging from their faces and ears. It's almost like if you want to find an employee, look for the teen dressed most like a vagrant. But certainly don't expect an intelligent, polite response when you ask them a question... they can't be bothered.

I know every generation thinks the next is out of control, etc. But it really does seem to be reaching critical mass.

It really makes one wonder just how far the societal bar can be lowered... frightening actually.

dresscodeviolation.jpg

Hate to be in line behind her at an airport. insane.gif

sigh..., I must be losing my alpha-maleness - But how in the heck did all you guys come to the conclusion that this thing was female??? Not sure I could stomach the sexing on this specimen....., (insert vomiting graemlin here) (waitasecond, scratch insert..., oh...., nevermind...., )sorry.gif