• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Color Touch or Ink Stain?

11 posts in this topic

You can actually see the CT from the front as well. They filled in the black areas in the masthead.

See the black bleed into the white areas of the H U M and N.

You can see the black touch by the staple tear as well.

Still a great book. CT wouldn't bother me so much on a book like this as long as I didn't pay through the nose for it.

major amateur color touch....slight A or Moderate A???? that's the real question.

Yup. I suspect all the black around the HUMAN TORCH has been colored in as well as the black on the bottom edge.

There's a decent amount of extra ink on that cover. Could be moderate if whole areas are filled in as opposed to small hits.

You can actually see the CT from the front as well. They filled in the black areas in the masthead.

See the black bleed into the white areas of the H U M and N.

You can see the black touch by the staple tear as well.

Still a great book. CT wouldn't bother me so much on a book like this as long as I didn't pay through the nose for it.

The black part in the masthead that invades the white portion is probably just out-of-register/overprinting. It fits the lines too neatly to be amateur color touch.

The rest of it though is obviously amateur color touch. No chance at a blue label for that book.

The black part in the masthead that invades the white portion is probably just out-of-register/overprinting. It fits the lines too neatly to be amateur color touch.

If it was out of register, wouldn't all of the black on the cover appear to be shifted slightly in the wrong direction? That does not appear to be the case.

I thought it looked like someone neatly filled in the black with a felt tip, but overlapped the white in a few areas.

confused-smiley-013.gif

The logo blacks are too consistent in their overlap into the whites for it to be sloppy CT, and unlike the the top and bottom of the book, they don't bleed through. That the bleed is red at top and black at bottom and staple precludes any chance of it being an accidental stain.

I wouldn't bother slabbing it - CGC will likely hammer the apparent grade due to the bleeding.

If it was out of register, wouldn't all of the black on the cover appear to be shifted slightly in the wrong direction? That does not appear to be the case.

I thought it looked like someone neatly filled in the black with a felt tip, but overlapped the white in a few areas.

confused-smiley-013.gif

I checked another scan on Heritage of the same book, and it looks like the blue (looks like black in this thread, but it's actually blue) was slightly out of register in the exact same place on the CGC 7.0 copy that is visible on Heritage.