• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Here's an interesting one for you . . .

6 posts in this topic

If you recall in DiceX's thread above, he explained how extra copies of an issue were assembled at the end of a print run if they were needed to complete orders. Many of these books were double stapled as the covers were added to the stapled book after the fact. Here's one that was poorly aligned and has 4 staples. Check out the shortage on the right edge and the extent of the overhang at the top edge. It's amazing that it hasn't sustained overhang damage over the years. grin.gif

NF5ss.jpg

NF5bss.jpg

Everything you see is factory, as I purchased this book off the newsstands myself. How and why would you grade it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Overhang...do not slab...

9.0 cbc bottom right corner, minor fraying along spine and spoine ticks.

Blunting upper right corner at overhang....(not a big deal)

Off White

you might be able to squeek a 9.2 out of it, but I'm stilll thinking 9.0

If it is only production defects it should grade normally until 9.4-9.6, no? confused-smiley-013.gif

Well, not discounting for the production defects at all, I still think you're a tad high grin.gif

Even though I own many 4-staple books (which are apparent only upon close inspection as the the inner staples are for the most part well-hidden), personally I consider it a stigma.

As to the miswrap, I have to take a deduction due to it's degree of severity -- I don't subscribe to CGC 9.4's that have a 1/8" inch band of white along the spine . . .

grin.gif

Overhang...do not slab...

9.0 cbc bottom right corner, minor fraying along spine and spoine ticks.

Blunting upper right corner at overhang....(not a big deal)

Off White

you might be able to squeek a 9.2 out of it, but I'm stilll thinking 9.0

Ah, the white cover is also very deceiving in scans (and even more so in digital photos) I'm thinking 8.5 due to general wear, with another half point deduction due to the production defects . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif