• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Feelings inspired by those Boxes Of Delights

16 posts in this topic

Received my 3rd 'box of delights' yesterday from CGC...

It's a roller-coaster of ups and downs, bafflement and joy; success and validation... here's my experience.... what have yours been like...?

I love that sealed box... all heavy, expectant and inviting... blush.gif

I love it when they've managed to pack them well... with clean bags and care... smile.gif

I especially love it when you get a top-census 9.8 and you JUST KNEW you would! laugh.gif

It midly irks me when you get a 9.2 and you JUST KNOW the comic is now effectively worthless. frown.gif

It baffles me when you submit a comic STILL SEALED in its inner-well and previously graded at 9.6 with OW to W pages and (get this) it comes back as a 9.4 with WHITE pages!!! 893whatthe.gif

Equally, it baffles me, albeit in a more pleasing way, when you submit a previously graded 9.4 and it comes back a 9.6! smile.gif Especially when it means it's now a top census copy! laugh.gif

Finally, it teases me to distraction that you submit a black-covered comic that comes back a confident 9.4 - which you also then smugly know is a new top-census ONLY THEN TO DISCOVER some other guy has gone one better with a 9.6 in the same census update period! tongue.gif

But overall, a fab and fun experience! How about you?

There are not many moments in life an nerve-wracking as opening a box from CGC. You never know what's going to be inside.

laugh.gif or frown.gif or mad.gif

"An ordinary person spends his life avoiding tense situations. A comic collector spends his life getting into tense situations." tongue.gif

It's a roller-coaster of ups and downs, bafflement and joy; success and validation... here's my experience.... what have yours been like...?

I love it when they've managed to pack them well... with clean bags and care... smile.gif

I especially love it when you get a top-census 9.8 and you JUST KNEW you would! laugh.gif

It midly irks me when you get a 9.2 and you JUST KNOW the comic is now effectively worthless. frown.gif

It baffles me when you submit a comic STILL SEALED in its inner-well and previously graded at 9.6 with OW to W pages and (get this) it comes back as a 9.4 with WHITE pages!!! 893whatthe.gif

Equally, it baffles me, albeit in a more pleasing way, when you submit a previously graded 9.4 and it comes back a 9.6! smile.gif Especially when it means it's now a top census copy! laugh.gif

Finally, it teases me to distraction that you submit a black-covered comic that comes back a confident 9.4 - which you also then smugly know is a new top-census ONLY THEN TO DISCOVER some other guy has gone one better with a 9.6 in the same census update period! tongue.gif

How is it that you submit a book that's already slabbed?? Do you just send it in and ask them for a 2nd opinion? I've heard people talk about re-submitting; is that what they mean?? I don't understand how it could receive a different grade - isn't that like them saying they were wrong the first time?

I've had a similar gamut of experiences to you re opening the box from CGC (although these days I find out the grades of the submissions online) but this one seems odd - I assume they removed it from the old inner well prior to grading.

It was still sealed in its inner-well but I'd cut-off the top bit with the grade on. wink.gif(Wasn't been sneaky, just that the outer-well was damaged and I thought I'd resubmit to see what would happened).

I can accept the grade dropping... but how can the pages get WHITER? tongue.gif

(I'm not a CGC bater by the way - love the product)

There are not many moments in life an nerve-wracking as opening a box from CGC. You never know what's going to be inside.

What a paucity of life experience we've acquired, if that's nerve-wracking...

Maybe you need to readjust your priorities in life.

I know - what you need is to give up this furshlugginer hobby cold-turkey! That will be the first in your twelve step program to Get A Life.

So, first, you need to carefully package all your high-grade books, and ship them to me. It's just my way of helping you with your problem. You might find a few other Forumites who'd oblige. devil.gif

How is it that you submit a book that's already slabbed?? Do you just send it in and ask them for a 2nd opinion? I've heard people talk about re-submitting; is that what they mean?? I don't understand how it could receive a different grade - isn't that like them saying they were wrong the first time?

Normally books are cracked out of their slabs and sent in for resubmittal without mentioning any previous appraisal. It can receive a different grade because the grading process is not inflexible, and books can be judged differently depending on human factors.

No paucity of life experience, I just find sending and receiving expensive or HG comics in the mail nerve-wracking. Especially since I've had comics damaged in the mail. As a result, I don't submit comics that often.

What I've had slabbed has already been sold. So no joy for you. poke2.gif

"An ordinary person spends his life avoiding tense situations. A comic collector spends his life getting into tense situations." tongue.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

That seriously made me laugh - you should put that on a gag T-shirt and market it.

I've got no excitement, I asked what the grades....so now it's just a matter of do them make it to me safely.

I've also never re-submitted though, and have a whopping (1) submission under my belt.

It was still sealed in its inner-well but I'd cut-off the top bit with the grade on. wink.gif(Wasn't been sneaky, just that the outer-well was damaged and I thought I'd resubmit to see what would happened).

I can accept the grade dropping... but how can the pages get WHITER? tongue.gif

(I'm not a CGC bater by the way - love the product)

Something naughty about this... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Its funny you mention this but for me the feeling is slowly diminishing when I get boxes back from CGC. The excitement is fading away crazy.gif

That's because you only submit Cap 110's... screwy.gifpoke2.gif

Actually thats one book that always puts a smile in my face for me poke2.gif