• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Psychology of collecting......

63 posts in this topic

"The difference between being a passionate collector and a fixated eccentric depends in part on whether other, more important aspects of life are neglected. Does collecting enrich your life without impoverishing other aspects of it or the lives of those around you? Much also depends on how much control you have. Can you pass up a buy, or have you reached the point where you can't stop yourself?"

Ultimately, I think the question is whether the collecting is pathological/dysfunctional or does it contribute to your mental health and your enjoyment of life. I find comic collecting rewarding for the stories, art, and time I get to spend in my "cave". I try not to get caught up in the pursuit of the top grades (too expensive). I do enjoy the thrill of the hunt almost as much as the comics themselves.

"The Psychology of collecting...."

- You can never have enough of what you don't really need. :grin:

Wow, you listen to U2. :eyeroll:

:eyeroll: :eyeroll:Do you think this is a applicable sentiment dealing with collecting :eyeroll: :eyeroll: and Wow, you listen to U2 also (thumbs u :eyeroll:

This is awesome stuff - thanks so much for sharing it! A psychologist once told me, "No motive is pure." I'm sure that applies to collecting as much as anything else. Personally, I collect comics for several reasons: I love the art and stories and I can relate to the desire to be connected historically to the eras I collect. But for me, first and foremost, there is definately an emotional connection I feel in the form of nostalgia when I read. I quite simply feel like a kid again!