• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone Buy the Human Torch Masterworks?

5 posts in this topic

I bought it. The stories, and much of the art, was pretty brutal, just as you say. Still, it does have the flavour of the early Marvels and a certainly quirkiness created by the various writers and artists on the book. I would have to say that it was the least of the early Marvel series.

I generally understand that the early Strange Tales Human Torch stories were pretty brutal... but anyone else buy this volume or have any thoughts?

The Essential Human Touch has Strange Tales 101-134 plus the annual #2. In this format, it's a cheap read.

The stories are not very interesting as the villains don't display much 'vision' in their deeds and the Torch's 'circus' command of his flame reminds me of Green Lantern's power ring at its omnipotent worst.

I think the strength of the original Strange Tales was Dr. Strange, the Kirby-pencilled Torch and, of course, the covers. Kirby pencilled 101-105, 108, 109, 114, 120 and the annual during the Torch's tenure.

I could see the Kirby work (all but #120) and the colour covers being of interest to the old time Marvel fan or comic historian.