• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Explor-a-con in Lexington, KY?

9 posts in this topic

Does anyone know anything about this show?

Kirkman was originally listed as a guest, but there is no mention of him on their website anymore. It says they will have vendors, but I wonder if it will be anything more than local guys. It's hosted by a local childrens museum and seems really geared towards kids (which is really cool regardless). I don't know if it's worth going for me though...

Anyone have any more info? Explor-a-con

I'm still waiting for the lady in charge to get back to me to tell me if yes or no on Kirkman. He is the only reason I would go.

It was hard to get information about the event, and I was one of the presenters! Very poorly publicized -- I couldn't find any mention of it in the local paper.

Maybe there was some confusion about Kirkman vs. Kidwell? Accordinng to the schedule, R. D. Hall and Mark Kidwell had a discussion and signed American Wasteland, but I didn't stay around that long (and I've never heard of them -- or Kirkman, for that matter).

This was a VERY kid-oriented event. No vendors at all, as far as I could tell. The organizers were concerned about keeping it kid-friendly, so I don't think they wanted a bunch of comic-book covers and action figures of almost nekkid ladies around.

I did about an hour on the Periodic Table of Comic Books (one blurb in the booklet called it the Period Table of Comic Books) that was fairly well attended and (I think) enjoyed. The kids liked the display of Metamorpho and Metal Men stuff, plus some chemistry-related comic books.

Superman (not very convincing, I'm afraid), Supergirl (in a rather chaste costume that I didn't recognize) and Thor (I didn't see him) were wandering around for photo opportunites. Lots of arts and crafts, costume contests, and some kind of hero-villain battle (that I didn't stay for).

This was definitely not an event for the adult comic-book collector, but the kids seemed to enjoy it. Consider it an investment in the future!

Jack

I went to front desk and checked to see if kirkman had showed and the lady in charge told me he still hadn't confirmed. I didn't wait around to see if he would show since it was already 2pm and I had been up since 5am to get to graduation.

Kirkman was definately listed for months on their flyer as the guest of honor and his only convention appearance (yea right) in addition to hall and kidwell.

I went to front desk and checked to see if kirkman had showed and the lady in charge told me he still hadn't confirmed. I didn't wait around to see if he would show since it was already 2pm and I had been up since 5am to get to graduation.

Graduation? Are congratulations in order? Did you graduate yesterday? From where?

Kirkman was definately listed for months on their flyer as the guest of honor and his only convention appearance (yea right) in addition to hall and kidwell.

You're way ahead of me in seeing a flyer about the event. Where did you see it? Maybe it went to Explorium members, which I now am. (Freebie for helping out.)

I remembered later who Kirkman is -- local writer of Marvel Zombies etc., right? Article in the Lexington Herald a while back? Obviously I'm out of the loop on current comics!

Jack

got my masters yesterday.

Congratulations!

the flyer was on the explorium site for a long time and then it vanished middle of last week or so.

That's about the time I started checking to see what I was supposed to do.

Jack