• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What does John Romita think . . .

36 posts in this topic

I wonder what John Romita thinks seeing his art sell for over $100,000.

I mean, considering when he drew his art he was doing so as a mere salaried employee

It must be interesting for him to see his work fetching so much

I wonder if he ever imagined his artwork would be so valuable

Does he understand his significance?

Does he appreciate how talented and influential he has been in American culture ???

Actually, none of Romita's art in the market place is considered stolen. As art director at Marvel he was in a position to have all his art returned to him. He sold all his art years ago through Mitch at Graphic Collectibles.

I imagine he's flattered his art fetch's so many dollars and sorry he didn't hold on to more of it.

Glen

There's a dealer in this area that used to sell Romita art in the mid '80's. He got to know Romita pretty good back then and sold alot of his stuff. There were a few complete stories (minus the cover) sold to collectors in this area back then. The guy I know was buying the stories for $450 complete and selling them for $900. I hear that a few of them are still in the area,although I have never seen anything.

He should be pretty pissed off that his work was stolen.

Now get lost.

Paul,

You really display your stupidity everytime you post.

A suggestion,....THINK,...THAN WRITE,...THAN press the SUBMIT button.

And if you dont know what you are talking about,....... than say to yourself,..... 'hey, Im pretty unintelligent on this particular subject, maybe I shouldn keep my mouth shut?' --- (you might want to apply this principle to your life too,... although than you will probably turn into a mute pumpkin').

Romita art always sells at a premium because legal title is unquestionably a non-issue. Romita sold all his work personally. Learn the FACTS! foreheadslap.gif

Romita is laughing his *spoon* off right now. 90k+ for his art? Romita is not that great of an artist. If he drew Avengers instead of Spidey, nobody would care about him. If Don Heck drew Spidey, his covers would go for 90k+ too.

If you read the following article it will give you a direction where this stuff is going. And I am CERTAIN that MANY disagree with you that Romita is not that great an artist

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/15338348/site/newsweek/

Romita is laughing his *spoon* off right now. 90k+ for his art? Romita is not that great of an artist. If he drew Avengers instead of Spidey, nobody would care about him. If Don Heck drew Spidey, his covers would go for 90k+ too.

If you read the following article it will give you a direction where this stuff is going. And I am CERTAIN that MANY disagree with you that Romita is not that great an artist

Yeah but his point is that if Don Heck had drawn Spidey, there would be a lot of people saying Don Heck was great too. Can't say I disagree.

Yeah but his point is that if Don Heck had drawn Spidey, there would be a lot of people saying Don Heck was great too. Can't say I disagree.

Don Heck did actually pencil some ASM stories.

I didn't realize that, but it doesn't change the conclusion. Heck may have pencilled a few (I'll take your word for it) but he didn't have a large, unbroken run of covers/interiors like ditko and romita did.

I didn't realize that, but it doesn't change the conclusion. Heck may have pencilled a few (I'll take your word for it) but he didn't have a large, unbroken run of covers/interiors like ditko and romita did.

Perhaps not, but it doesn't do your credibility any good if your research/knowledge is sorely lacking when you make such statements in the first place.

Perhaps not, but it doesn't do your credibility any good if your research/knowledge is sorely lacking when you make such statements in the first place.

First of all, he didn't make the statement... I did. Apparently your comprehension skills are sorely lacking if you don't understand the point being made. Let me try to explain it to you in a way a 5 year old can understand. Take away Romita. He go bye-bye. He never #1 artist on Spidey. Put Heck in his place. Heck becomes #1 artist on Spidey. Heck Spidey covers go for lots of money. Everyone laugh at Romita art. Understand? Good boy!!!!

Well..... at least I can understand your point now..... that it's phrased for 5 year olds...;)

Seriously though, I disagree completely. I love Romitas work. While I do own some spidey examples I've also owned DD, CAp, Avengers, Manthing, etc, etc.... I like it all. His slick, professional, almost cartoony style epitimised the 70's for me and many others. In fact, I believe he got the job of Spidey because it was already a top title and Stan needed someone who had big talent and could grow with and grow the character and title of Spiderman. Now, if you want to argue prices.... that is different. ASM covers and pages go for mucho bucks because spidey is on them. But, I've also paid over 5 figures for Romita Manthing, Avengers and Subby covers so that ain't hay.

Look, there is very little point debating this with the 'non-believers' out there. There are many who buy comic art based almost purely on how many strokes the artist laid down on the page. If that is your barometer then there is no sense arguing; personally, I feel that comic art appreciation is a mixture of nostalgia, character, image, and artistic viewpoint. And while I appreciate the Alex Raymond, Mark Shultz and Wrightson styles as well, I lean more toward the all out action of Kirby, Romita and Cockrum... Basically, it's all good. If I'm in the right mood I can even appreciate Heck!!!

First of all, he didn't make the statement... I did. Apparently your comprehension skills are sorely lacking if you don't understand the point being made. Let me try to explain it to you in a way a 5 year old can understand. Take away Romita. He go bye-bye. He never #1 artist on Spidey. Put Heck in his place. Heck becomes #1 artist on Spidey. Heck Spidey covers go for lots of money. Everyone laugh at Romita art. Understand? Good boy!!!!

Okay, I stand corrected, it was your ignorance that Bronty supported.

I understand the point you're struggling to make, but you're trying to infer that Heck never illustrated any ASM art. He did (BRONTY said, "his point is that if Don Heck had drawn Spidey, there would be a lot of people saying Don Heck was great too").

Heck penciled close on 200 pages of ASM art. Not a great deal by Romita's standards, but it still amounts to quite a bit of art.

As far as I'm aware, Heck's art was on the interior pages only.

You're talking about covers.

There's more to original art than just pretty covers - yes? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Heck did a really nice job on those spidey pages. And they do go for a pretty penny. So do Hecks Iron Man pages and his Avengers. And he did do an ASM cover sort of if you count the DD I think it's 103 with DD and Spidey. Whatever issue it's in Matt Stock's gallery and its gorgeous..... It's way too simplistic to say an artist's popularity and/or price is only attributable to character... it's part of the equation but not all of it. Also, an artist can have talent even if they happened to work on the most popular titles...................................

..... It's way too simplistic to say an artist's popularity and/or price is only attributable to character... it's part of the equation but not all of it. ...........

I agree, Dan. Sadly, Tom Murnane doesn't understand - and I don't want to talk down to a 2 year old's level to explain it to him. wink.gif