• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need Help from Bronze Age Grading Gurus

13 posts in this topic

Looking through a lot of my BA books and I consistantly find real nice 9.4 quality books, EXCEPT they might have one flaw -- a tiny corner chip or tear. The thing is: this tiny chip or tear also coincides with a similar condition on the INSIDE pages. So, this leads me to believe that this is caused by dull cutting blades in production.

So, on an otherwise 9.4 type book, does CGC deduct for these corners? I'm thinking of submitting some of these books, however, I won't waste my cash if they are going to come back 8.5s due to the corner problem.

Here's an example... a nearly flawless SVTU #1 with a funky LRC. frustrated.gif

SVTU1.jpg

SVTU1crop.jpg

I'd say you get away with it on the spine, but not so much on the free corners...grade drop ensues.

Interesting because the flaw is perfectly analogous to a bindery tear or chip.

confused-smiley-013.gif

i don't think it's worh certifying if this defect runs through the pages! Really need to see what the pages look like to give an accurate call. Judging by the scan it looks like this is a miniscule defect so i am thinking about a 9.0. Although i have seen one or two books like this come back from CGC with a 9.2 i think those are the exception!

It will come back 9.0

It is more severe than small bindery chips. those can still get 9.6 but with this corner running through the pages its out of the NM range ... sorry.gif

I've gone through dozens and dozens of my BA books over the past several days. It's amazing how many have this defect... it's a small tag of paper hanging from a poorly cut corner and it typically affects the cover and inside pages.

Were they using butter knives to cut these books down? confused-smiley-013.gif

I agree with the King. sumo.gif

This is a very minor defect that is certainly allowable in a 9.2. I doesn't constitute a corner crease, it's little more than a blunted corner, and is arguably production related in its origin. On any given day this will squeak by at 9.4 -- it's not a limiting defect. Depending upon the qualities of the balance of the book (which in this case look pretty nice) I'd be hard-pressed to knock the book down to a 9.0 -- it's appears to be the sole defect the book has.

Of course if it were my post, I'd be getting a series of 8.5's and lower 27_laughing.gif and people would be squawking over the non-existent spine dings . . . 893blahblah.gif

but hey, what do I know confused-smiley-013.gif

It will come back 9.0

It is more severe than small bindery chips. those can still get 9.6 but with this corner running through the pages its out of the NM range ... sorry.gif

I've gone through dozens and dozens of my BA books over the past several days. It's amazing how many have this defect... it's a small tag of paper hanging from a poorly cut corner and it typically affects the cover and inside pages.

Were they using butter knives to cut these books down? confused-smiley-013.gif

no, they use axes tongue.gif

I agree with the King. sumo.gif

This is a very minor defect that is certainly allowable in a 9.2. I doesn't constitute a corner crease, it's little more than a blunted corner, and is arguably production related in its origin. On any given day this will squeak by at 9.4 -- it's not a limiting defect. Depending upon the qualities of the balance of the book (which in this case look pretty nice) I'd be hard-pressed to knock the book down to a 9.0 -- it's appears to be the sole defect the book has.

Of course if it were my post, I'd be getting a series of 8.5's and lower 27_laughing.gif and people would be squawking over the non-existent spine dings . . . 893blahblah.gif

but hey, what do I know confused-smiley-013.gif

David, if you showed us books as nice as this, it certainly wouldn't get a 8.5. poke2.gif