• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What did the TOS 98 Kirby cover go for?

12 posts in this topic

$37k according to liveauction.

Here is the complete list:

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/catalog/10719

A few hilights:

Fantasy Masterpieces #4 cover (Kirby, mostly stat?) $4500

Human Torch #36 Ayers Half splash $3100

1954 Cap/Bucky page from Men's Adventure $2500

Strange Tales #166 cover Adkins $11.5k

TOS #96 cover Kirby (foreground Cap stat, part of stat missing) $6750

Hulk #105 cover $13k

TOS #98 cover Kirby $37k

Are these with juice or without??

Looks to be without, since they have the ASM 43 at $90k according to the link.

These are hammer.

Chris

Well, what do people think of these prices??

Obviously the spidey went for more than most expected.... but the Tos 98? Seemed low... these Kirby Cap covers continue to langish(more or less) at auction but splashes and panel pages have been setting record numbers... then again maybe 40k+ isn't so bad for any piece of original art.

The Hulk cover suprises the heck out of me. 15k+/-. Seems like only yesterday small art Hulk covers were 5 to 7.5k no matter the image.

Dan

Well, what do people think of these prices??

Obviously the spidey went for more than most expected.... but the Tos 98? Seemed low... these Kirby Cap covers continue to langish(more or less) at auction but splashes and panel pages have been setting record numbers... then again maybe 40k+ isn't so bad for any piece of original art.

The Hulk cover suprises the heck out of me. 15k+/-. Seems like only yesterday small art Hulk covers were 5 to 7.5k no matter the image.

Dan

The HULK # 105 cover was, to my mind, a standout example. As such, I'm not surprised it fetched a good price.

Hi Terry; I agree it's a very nice cover; memorable, big image, vintage. But, the price just seemed very high to me. I almost think the buyer may have thought it was twice up as this was the first small size cover of that run I believe and that number approaches twice up cover for price for a M. Severin. Just my opinion.... and yes since cover prices do escalate I'm not dogging on the buyer; just registering my suprise.

As far as the TOS 98 goes, what other recent silver age Kirby cover sales do we have by way of comparison (sales within the last year or two)?

From Heritage we've got:

FF #71 $34.5k

Cap #102 $36.8k

What other recent transactions are out there?

Hi Terry; I agree it's a very nice cover; memorable, big image, vintage. But, the price just seemed very high to me. I almost think the buyer may have thought it was twice up as this was the first small size cover of that run I believe and that number approaches twice up cover for price for a M. Severin. Just my opinion.... and yes since cover prices do escalate I'm not dogging on the buyer; just registering my suprise.

Yeah Dan , but you would need two buyers to think that wouldn't you?

Nevertheless it was an outstanding example of Hulk cover art. We should never under estimate the TOP QUALITY factor or best example in prices.

I thought the TOS 98 cover was absolutely beautiful and to my mind. Captain America is up there regarding well known super hero characters. Certainly he is in the second tier behind the "Big Three"

Clem...