• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your low SERIAL number slabs!

27 posts in this topic

How about a thyread that shows the earliest slabbed books we have? The winner would be serial numebr 0000001001. Who's got one close?

They didn't really start with 1001, did they? My earliest is 0000838004, and it's pretty early. I can't imagine they would've graded 837,003 books before they got to this one. I don't think they've graded that many books even today!

You guys have me beat in the earliest one I have, but I have 0002823010, or the 10th book on invoice 2823. The funny thing is it is a Weird Mystery Tales #3 and not some GA or BA key. It is high grade however, just not an important book like the Bats posted earlier. Someone looking to flip it once it was graded is my guess.

Scott

What makes you guys think the invoice numbers were graded sequencially? CGC prepared pre-printed submission forms, distributed them to customers and then waited for submissions. As an example, I might have a stack of preprinted invoices but might not use them for years. I might also just grab one from the pile without bothering to note if it's the lowest numbered one.

The only thing that matters is the "graded-on" date. foreheadslap.gif

If you're a Collectors Society Member and can look up your book and get the date it was graded on, then you have some interesting data.

Look at this list......

Green River Marvel CGC Data List

and look at the column labeled "Grading Date". The earliest graded book on that list is Amazing Spider-Man #42 graded on 9/13/2000. It's number is 0002215019. Now check out Marvel Tales #13. It's number is lower....0001798002. But it was graded almost four and a half years later.

Think grading date, not invoice number.

Red

ahhh soo! so can you see which books WERE graded first? I thought of this thread having believed that the FF1 was considered one of the first books graded and hoped to smoke out the FIRST book, and, that it might be fun to see what kinds of books we have with low numbers.

How about a thyread that shows the earliest slabbed books we have? The winner would be serial numebr 0000001001. Who's got one close?

So, what do you have for us? popcorn.gif

nothing exciting. my earliest is 0000168003. I just thought it woudl be fun to unearth the lowest, first, slab, but Hook has convinced me this serial number aint the way to go.

What makes you guys think the invoice numbers were graded sequencially? CGC prepared pre-printed submission forms, distributed them to customers and then waited for submissions. As an example, I might have a stack of preprinted invoices but might not use them for years. I might also just grab one from the pile without bothering to note if it's the lowest numbered one.

The only thing that matters is the "graded-on" date. foreheadslap.gif

If you're a Collectors Society Member and can look up your book and get the date it was graded on, then you have some interesting data.

Look at this list......

Green River Marvel CGC Data List

and look at the column labeled "Grading Date". The earliest graded book on that list is Amazing Spider-Man #42 graded on 9/13/2000. It's number is 0002215019. Now check out Marvel Tales #13. It's number is lower....0001798002. But it was graded almost four and a half years later.

Think grading date, not invoice number.

Red

I would think that CGC had the printed invoices before online submissions were possible. So that would mean the printed ones were the earliest used for submissions. I know when I have stuff numerically printed from a printer, they are in numerical order from lowest to highest. So it is very possible that the lowest invoice numbers were among the very first to be graded. I agree that invoice 1 may not be the first graded invoice, but it certainly might be one of the very first.

CGC label 0000001001

Someone look this number up and see when it was graded.

Grade Date 11/09/1999

Title Walt Disney's Comics and Stories

Issue 1

Issue Date 10/40

Publisher Dell Publishing

Country

Variant

Pedigree

Category Universal

Grade 8.5

PageQuality OFF-WHITE

GradeText

Art Comments Hank Porter cover

Tom Wood and Ferdinand Horvath art

Key Comments Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse begin.

Issue Year 1940