• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yet another shill-bidding, over-grading eBay putz *sigh*

31 posts in this topic

Wow. I had no idea how wrong I've been listing these comics until now. I know I'm not a proferssional grader and I say so in my listings. I thought that if I took my best guess at the grade and showed detailed pictures (some including every page) it would be informative enough to give a good representation of what was for sale. Now I know that I should just keep the detailed pictures, say i'm not confident enough in my grading skills to grade, and let bidders make the grading decision on their own. As for the shill bidding accusation, I have not tried to boost prices. Reserve price is an option for a reason. I am new to selling comics on the online community. I have a lot to learn and I know that. If any of you have any advice on how to make my auctions more accurate or how I can become a better seller I am open to any and all suggestions. I have so many comics to sell and it seems to be taking forever to list them at the rate I'm going. I am almost just tempted to do one huge lot. That way I can get back to my very normal and quite uninteresting life.

Hey! I take it all back!

You are doing a great job!

Tell you what...

I have a bunch of FVF early Silver-Age comics.

Since I'm such a swell guy I'll sell them to you for half book!

thumbsup2.gif

How is this a 9.2 screwy.gif

I know its not a NM copy but I was trying to say its in between VF/NM. But from your reactions I can see that I was off. Here was my thinking.

<P>

Overstreet: " 8.0 Very Fine: Most of the cover gloss retained with minor wear appearing at the corners and around edges. Spine tight with no pages missing, cream/tan paper allowed if still supple. Up to 1/4 bend allowed on cover with no color break, cover relatively flat, minor tears allowed."

<P>

The reasons after reading these grading specs that I said the comic is between VF and NM: Pages white/off-white and supple (not cream colored or tan), Most of the cover gloss reatined, spine tight and staples intact. Defects: Wear on cover near spine. Not centered perfectly. Corners have minor wear.

<P>

I saw that several of the comics qualities were better than the VF description. Is it the color break near the spine that brings it down from VF? I understand if I am wrong. Like I said, I'm not a professional grader and I may have the wrong view on how to grade them. Are there better guidelines to go by? Would I be better off not even suggesting a grade and just taking detailed pictures to let the bidder decide?

Comicseller2006...as the original poster, I have to say I respect you for coming on here and asking for help. As you might have guessed, your grading is way off and you are greatly underestimating the severity of the wear and defects on your books. For example the Avengers #1...the spine had enough wear alone (regardless of the rest of the book) to drop it to Very Good. It is great that you posted plenty of large pictures (although some of them are blurry and scans would be much better) which does give most knowledgeable bidders enough visual information to base their bid on. Although you are familiar with the grading definitions, it seems you are having trouble applying them to your comics. It is difficult, but you will get a feel for it with experience. I would suggest two things. First, post some large, clear scans of the front and back of several of your comics on our Grading Forum...you will get feedback to help you see your books in a more realistic light. Second, buy an Overstreet Grading Guide and pay close attention to the pictures they show of comics in various grades. The book is not perfect and does have some flaws and discrepancies, but overall it will help you get a much better visual feel for what books should look like in certain grades. Until you get better at grading, it would probably be best to stick with the "I am not qualified to grade" comment and urge people to view the multiple pictures and also email you with specific questions about the books.

Oh, and the shill thing...it just looks REALLY suspicious when a brand new bidder (who has never bid on anything else before) puts in multiple, seemingly random bids on an obviously over-graded book and keeps bumping the price up. Sure it is POSSIBLE you had nothing to do with that, but it just looks really bad. If you are blameless, then I apologize.

Good luck and again congrats on having the KAHONES to come on here and face a tough crowd. thumbsup2.gif

I know its not a NM copy but I was trying to say its in between VF/NM. But from your reactions I can see that I was off. Here was my thinking.

<P>

Overstreet: " 8.0 Very Fine: Most of the cover gloss retained with minor wear appearing at the corners and around edges. Spine tight with no pages missing, cream/tan paper allowed if still supple. Up to 1/4 bend allowed on cover with no color break, cover relatively flat, minor tears allowed."

<P>

The reasons after reading these grading specs that I said the comic is between VF and NM: Pages white/off-white and supple (not cream colored or tan), Most of the cover gloss reatined, spine tight and staples intact. Defects: Wear on cover near spine. Not centered perfectly. Corners have minor wear.

<P>

I saw that several of the comics qualities were better than the VF description. Is it the color break near the spine that brings it down from VF? I understand if I am wrong. Like I said, I'm not a professional grader and I may have the wrong view on how to grade them. Are there better guidelines to go by? Would I be better off not even suggesting a grade and just taking detailed pictures to let the bidder decide?

no offense, but dude. come on.

look at ANY 3rd party graded 8.0. compare that book to yours. if you can't see a difference, you are blind.

i want to congratulate you on your willingness to learn the difference between a GRADE and a GUESS, but my cynicism meter is pegged off the charts right now

look, here's one for you;

real, actual 8.0 on ComicLink

note the near lack of creasing, bends, dirt, folds, scratches and other nonattractive features. see how the book looks nice and flat?

here's a 6.5 (F/VF) for your perusal. see how the spine looks like *spoon*? but still, not too much creasing...

aaaaand here's a 2.0 (Good) for you. see how it looks like it was kicked down a flight of stairs?

makepoint.gif

Yes I can definitely see the difference. I think I'll take Inhuman Fiend's advice and stick with the "I am not qualified to grade" comment for now until I get more experience. The grading forum seems very helpful and I will probably start putting some scans on there also. Thanks you for your help everyone.

<P>

<P>

<P>

Dont give the man such a hard time... if he was trying to cheat and scam why then post the many detailed pictures that reveals the correct grade? confused-smiley-013.gif I think you guys have been involved in comics so long that you dont see how grading can be difficult if you have never seen a CGC book and only go by the OS description .....

Comicseller2006: i think you should avoid putting the grade in, with the detailed pictures your auctions will reach normal ebay market value, whereas if you put your grade in which is significantly off target, most collectors will think screwy.gif

and dont even bother bidding at all..... just my two cents worth

Yes I can definitely see the difference. I think I'll take Inhuman Fiend's advice and stick with the "I am not qualified to grade" comment for now until I get more experience. The grading forum seems very helpful and I will probably start putting some scans on there also. Thanks you for your help everyone.

i will give you definite props for the way you put enough pictoral information in your auctions to let the buyer get a good feel for the book. that is definitely something to be commended for, and so good job on that

Welcome to the boards 893applaud-thumb.gif

By the way, were you already a lurker here or did somebody point you this way?

I know its not a NM copy but I was trying to say its in between VF/NM.

Umm...yeah.

A grading guide as someone else suggested would be helpful. Since you've logged onto these boards, you could post some images in the "Hey buddy, can you spare a grade?" forum. There are some excellent comic graders on these boards and they could give you a very good idea of both the grade and value of your books. Another option may be what you suggested; just post large scans of the books, be honest and say you don't know how to grade them, and let's the bids fall where they may.

The Avengers 1 you sold was not anywhere near FN/VF, it was more in the Good range. In general, I would say you are about 4 to 6 grades off (overgraded) in your grading on the few auctions I saw. With this kind of grading you are setting yourself up for an onslaught of negatives if you continue selling comics on Ebay.

i will give you definite props for the way you put enough pictoral information in your auctions to let the buyer get a good feel for the book. that is definitely something to be commended for, and so good job on that

Shill bidding aside(if there is any), I think the guy just made the mistake many new sellers, collectors do.

Overgrade their books.

3 years ago I was not terribly bad at it, (and I still have alot to learn), but back then I sure thought at least half my collection was VF or better. In the end I had a large amount of really swell "Fines" thanks to this place educating me. insane.gif

So if you are sincere about wanting to learn, you came to the right place. thumbsup2.gif Take some time, look and listen. The Grading Forum will help you immensely. And remember tempering what the grading guide might say, and appliying that to a given book is the trick to honest grading.

So many factors that cannot be seen from a picture go into arriving at a proper grade. A given flaw may be more or less severe then how it is listed in the Guide, and that will dictate how to arrive at an accurate grade. It cannot be overlooked that spine roll can be minor or severe, same as with foxing,chipping shadows, etc... .There are alot of things that help you really arrive at a books true condition. Taking into account how the book presents itself, adding up all the flaws honestly, and arriving at a grade that is befitting with what is in front of you. Hence why grading can be different from person to person. One may not consider spine roll to be as bad as edge tears, or another may hate color breaking creases, but does not mind foxing. We are all different, but can basically come close to guessing the grade no matter what personal preferences we have.

And in the end, When you list your auctions you CAN give out a grade that YOU think the book is, many people want to see that in print. But preface by saying you are learning, and to see the supplied photos and to ask questions BEFORE bidding. And as you already have done, list LOTS of LARGE photos, 25 small photos are not worth 2 large photos.

Also learn to list any flaws that cannot be seen, in case they are not evedent in the photo.

If you want to hit and run, and not build a client base with good feedback then nobody can stop you. But if you are serious, and want a place in the collecting community I applaud you for coming here. But be warned, this place will rip you to shreds if it smells something rotten. We self police here, and that is why InhumanFiend first made his initial post about you. Your bad grading coupled with what looks to be shill bidding is a BIG no, no around here.

I dont mean to scare, or intimidate you, but rather explain some of the hostility you saw here firsthand.

Once you get past the tuff veneer, we are all basically here for our love of comic boooks.

Good luck, and ask any questions you may have.

Ze-