• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bold Stories

50 posts in this topic

In the discussion of the exisitence of Double Action Comics #1, it was mentioned that some entries in the Overstreet Guide are bogus, placed there to catch those who might steal the data for use in other guides. The Overstreet entry for Bold Stories has perplexed me for a while now. It says there are three issues, but I have only ever seen the first two. confused.gif

overstreetboldstoriesjm6.jpg

Can anyone here verify if the July issue exists? If it does, I would love to see a picture! Thanks for your help.

Here is what the first two issues look like:

boldstories1ii9.jpg

boldstories2mh5.jpg

From Bold Stories #1

Table of Contents and page 1 of "The Shooting of Dan McStew"

img3430zp1.jpg

This femme fatale looks a lot like Eisner's P'gell!

img3431nl9.jpg

A nudist colony story!

img3432pf1.jpg

img3433jm2.jpg

img3434rq5.jpg

Pages 1 & 2 of "The Dames Girls"

img3435nw5.jpg

"The Ogre of Paris" by Wally Wood!

img3436pd6.jpg

Two shots from "The Twenty Star Final"

img3437jl9.jpg

img3438if0.jpg

From Bold Stories #2

"The Cobra Kiss" by Graham Ingels!

img3439jz8.jpg

More random nudity...

img3440hh8.jpg

Wow.

img3441vi0.jpg

One Sprung Hinge?

img3442ge1.jpg

I'm no expert, but these next two look like it might be Matt Baker art. Or maybe they're just Baker swipes. Anybody else have an opinion?

img3444qy1.jpg

img3443ht7.jpg

Thanks so much for the interior posts RedFury

They definetly went on my want list, though I'm sure it will be awhile beore I get them. I already have It Rhymes With Lust, but other than being a digest and being clearly marketed at adults, it's not really the same sort of thing.

Glad you guys enjoyed the pictures!

It Rhymes With Lust is a great book, and you're right, it's completely different than Bold Stories. Bold Stories and its sister publication Candid Tales I would characterize as risque adult humor. It Rhymes With Lust, on the other hand, is definitely a serious graphic novel. There is a whole group of these digest and paperback sized comics, all of which came out in 1950, that I've been fascinated with and collected for some time now.

Cool stuff, but I want to stay as far away as possible from the Sunland Nudist camp!! It's a freaking sausage party!

With Miss Sherlock there I'm sure they'll be makin' bacon.... blush.gif

I doubt it, since the sign says "men only"..they exclude women by design!! screwy.gif

Glad you guys enjoyed the pictures!

It Rhymes With Lust is a great book, and you're right, it's completely different than Bold Stories. Bold Stories and its sister publication Candid Tales I would characterize as risque adult humor. It Rhymes With Lust, on the other hand, is definitely a serious graphic novel. There is a whole group of these digest and paperback sized comics, all of which came out in 1950, that I've been fascinated with and collected for some time now.

I know someone that has a copy of it rhymes with lust up here in Alaska, but he won't sell it until he can get a hand scanner and scan it makepoint.gif at least that's what I've been told. What's a Good copy or a Very Good copy selling for these days?

I haven't tracked recent sales of IRWL, but in the early part of the decade copies seemed to sell for $150-$400 in G to VG. IIRC 2.0-3.0 copies sold for as much as $300 on ebay.

I bought what looks to be around a 7.0, but has dried out glue on the spine, leaving the cover barely attached, for $470 about 4 years ago. I listed it on ebay a year later with a $600 reserve and the bidding got into the low $400s. I decided to hold onto it. It's a hard copy to value. It has more eye-appeal than any other copy I've seen, but if the cover were to come clean off its technical grade would be fairly low. There is a scan buried in the GA have a cigar thread somewhere.