• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bold Stories

50 posts in this topic

Beautiful copy, rjpb!

I have three of them myself. I got a Fr/G copy as a birthday present back in '95 and loved it so much I sought out other copies. Here's a scan of the best of them.

itrhymeswithlustcopy1ir2.jpg

Sweet copy Redfury!

3 copies huh, that's impressive.

I take it you have a Candid Tales as well - please post if you do.

As a fan of undergounds and the off-beat, the idea of hunting for Bold Stories is growing on me noe that I've seen the interiors. Something else will have to wait if I do, as my collecting dollar has to stretch these days.

Thanks for the kind words!

I got into these books around 1995 or so. First I got a low grade It Rhymes With Lust as a birthday present from my parents. Shortly thereafter, I got Bold Stories 1 & 2 (both low grade) and a low grade Candid Tales #1. Then around 2000, I got the high grade copies of CT 1 & 2 on Ebay. Around the same time, someone was selling a nice copy of It Rhymes With Lust on Ebay and I got that. They had another copy (the seller's father had owned a newstand) and I bought that too. The last book I bought was a low grade copy of The Case of the Winkiing Buddha a couple of years ago. They're just really hard to find anymore, and when they do turn up, they usually go for a lot of money.

I have a few other books that are similar to these. All were published in 1950.

Honeymoon Romance - graphic novel, digest

The Case of the Winking Buddha - graphic novel, digest, 2nd in the series that IRWL started

Mansion of Evil - graphic novel, paperback format, Fawcett published

Four Frightened Women - graphic novel, paperback format, Dell published

Twice Loved - graphic novel, paperback format, Dell published

On the back of the Dell books, two others are mentioned, but I don't think they were ever published. It seems to me that all these publishers all tried to create a market for graphic novels in 1950, and all failed. I find that fascinating.

One other interesting note...I have two copies of the Dell book Four Frightened Women, and on one copy the page edges are blue, and on the other they are un-dyed. This seems to indicate there may have been two printings. But if the book didn't sell well, why go back to press?

I know a beater copy of Honeymoon Romance #1

sold on ebay recently for some decent coin. With its racy cover I imagine it usually sells for more than #2.

Mansion of Evil seems to show up on ebay every now and then, but I am completely unfamiliar with the Dell books. Of course not knowing they existed, they may have passed by unnoticed. Are they scarcer than the others?

For that matter, what would you say is the hardest to find of the digests?

Well, he doesn't need to scan it. Dark Horse is publishing a restored repint of it in February. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Link to Dark Horse's It Rhymes With Lust TPB

As for what it goes for, it's hard to say since they hardly ever change hands. But I don't think multiples of guide is unreasonable.

I bet I can own a copy of this in the next few weeks, thanks for the link.

I'll buy him a copy, and then buy the original off him 893applaud-thumb.gif

I don't think the Dell books are any scarcer. I have two of each. People just don't know about them, and they look like paperback books from the outside.

Which book is scarcest? The only one I don't have is Honeymoon Romance #2, but I have seen it for sale twice. I'd have to say It Rhymes With Lust is scarcest. Even though I have three of them, I was extremely lucky in finding those, and two came from the same source. I search for that book constantly online and at cons, and it just never shows up.

Here are the two Dell books. Twice Loved is #1, Four Frightened Women is #2.

twicelovedcopy1xt4.jpg

fourfrightenedwomenblueedgescw5.jpg

Cool stuff, but I want to stay as far away as possible from the Sunland Nudist camp!! It's a freaking sausage party!

Personally, I'm worried about the woman. She has nice boobs, but no nipples!! 893whatthe.gif

Love the books in this thread! Thought I'd show another one mentioned...

From an unassuming cover...

goldmedal129.jpg

To some cool interior contents!

mansionevil0001.jpg

mansionevil0002.jpg

Cool stuff, but I want to stay as far away as possible from the Sunland Nudist camp!! It's a freaking sausage party!

Personally, I'm worried about the woman. She has nice boobs, but no nipples!! 893whatthe.gif

That can be fixed. (augmented)

Love the books in this thread! Thought I'd show another one mentioned...

From an unassuming cover...

goldmedal129.jpg

To some cool interior contents!

Fantastic! I had never heard of these!