• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To Be A Gerber "9" Or Not To Be, That Is The Question!

116 posts in this topic

What needs to happen is a group of you guys need to get together with some copies of your Gerber books and update his scarcity designation for each comic. OCR in the data from the pages and go to town. Do maybe five pages a day. How long would that take? Two years?

I'd pay $15 for a .PDF of that when it was done. So would probably anyone that has a copy of the Gerber books.

If I find a bundle of 50 copies of Jumbo 31 (Gerber 9), are you telling me it's still a Gerber 9 but now the Scarcity Index is raised to 50 more copies, so 5-10 copies is no longer the criteria for a Gerber 9 book.

If you're saying that, why not just make Jumbo 31 a Gerber 6 book because 50 more exist than what was thought previously. This way every time we discover books all we do is change the Gerber scarcity index only on that particular book.

Is this what you are saying???

No, what your are trying to say is to change the SI rating for a particular indivisual book only if there is actual evidence of more copies than Gerber's index.

What Mark is saying and I agree with him, is that based upon what we know today compard to when Ernie put the index together back in the early 90's, there are just more copies of all GA books in existence than initially thought. As a result, the simplest way to correct the SI ratings is to change the overall number of books designated for each SI category.

A quick and simple way to fix the SI index as opposed to correcting the SI rating for each individual book. (thumbs u

Yea, what he said. ;)

Sometimes its easier when non-lawyers speak. lol

What needs to happen is a group of you guys need to get together with some copies of your Gerber books and update his scarcity designation for each comic. OCR in the data from the pages and go to town. Do maybe five pages a day. How long would that take? Two years?

I'd pay $15 for a .PDF of that when it was done. So would probably anyone that has a copy of the Gerber books.

Who's up for getting together at the SD Comic Con for a meeting on this? (thumbs u :popcorn:

Who's up for getting together at the SD Comic Con for a meeting on this? (thumbs u :popcorn:

:hi:

How about Chicago instead???

How about Chicago instead???

You organize Chicago, and I'll organize SD. (thumbs u

Who or what would determine the scarcity rating for a book???...wouldn't a ton of research have to be done using a multitude of sources in order to find out how many copies are known to exist???...seems to be a daunting task... :frustrated:

Couldn't we create a data-base here for Gerber 8,9,&10 here on the boards for a start!!! All books that you have that meet this criteria, ask members to post them. I think there already are a few Gerber threads but none specifically with the purpose of a census!!!

We could rule out quite a few right here on the boards I'm betting.

That was was I tried to do with the Star Ranger thread (get members to scan their books so I could kinda see how many there really are) since gerber gave ALL of them 7 or 8 in his index. It didn't work though because only a few posted their copies, and I know there are more copies than that!!!

So how about a board Census of Gerber 8, 9 & 10s. hm

Absolutely. If you actually check out the first post I made in this thread, it is exactly what I was trying to do. There are also threads on Gerber "7"s and above, Gerber "10" and I believe I once created a Gerber "11" thread.

Ken,

Nice tribute to Gerber, but something about this line just doesn't sound right...

I explained to him that it was his PJs that prompted me

Didn't Bruce Wayne say the same thing about Grayson?

Ya know... Carey made an off-handed remark about some intimate knowledge of YOUR PJs, but I never brought THAT up before! That's for calling me out, Richard... :baiting:

Are you saying you have a problem with Mariah and I? (shrug)

She liked my PJs (for the short time I was wearing them).

Ken,

Nice tribute to Gerber, but something about this line just doesn't sound right...

Ya know... Carey made an off-handed remark about some intimate knowledge of YOUR PJs, but I never brought THAT up before! That's for calling me out, Richard... :baiting:

Steve changed his name to Mariah? I don't think we need to hear any more about you, Steve AKA Mariah and your PJs. What you 2 boys do in your PJs is Your biz. Let's stay on topic, now. :kidaround:

Ken,

i heard she put madeline kahn to shame when she hit that note on "sweet mystery of life, at last i've FOUND YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU."