• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action #1 8.5 sr

68 posts in this topic

I just received an automated e-mail from Metropolis indicating they have an ungraded Action #1 8.5 with just slight restoration that is pending sale.

Action #1 8.5 sl r

Wonder how much and what work was done?

Hard to say, but -- just going from what I think I see in the enlarged scans -- it looks like small pieces added to square off the spine corners, inpainting on the small pieces, and maybe some minor color touch along the spine and top edge, and perhaps a couple of small tear seals on the leading edge of the front cover (in the red area above the rock and at the bottom of the lower rock). The staples also look reinforced and the whites were probably dry cleaned, judging from the light surface soiling in the yellow areas below the logo that is not present in the white areas on the rest of the cover. Sounds like a lot, but it's all just a few very tiny repairs. This was a really sweet copy before any work was done.

Someone at Metro can correct me if I'm wrong.

That's a sweet looking Action 1.. Wish I can afford a copy.. I'm wondering too how much it sold for? I know that Metro had an unrestored copy VG 4.0 a month or so ago priced at $100k and I guess they sold that one too.. Seems like Action 1 is a hot seller right now.

Yeah, $75K was the list price.

Seems really cheap for a book that was probably at least a 5.0/5.5 before the restoration. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This reminds me of when Metro sold the Bethlehem copy of ASM#1 as a raw 9.2 (cleaned and pressed and a small tear seal) for $6,000, and then the buyer had it slabbed as a 9.4 Slight (P) and turned around and flipped it within a day or two of listing for $12,000 with a Buy-It-Now on ebay. I think it sold again later for $16,000.

Than Im sure you have also seen that there is a V.F Restored copy of Detective # 27 Posted for 61k...On Metro I mean.

Yeah, I saw that. That book looks to have a bit more work done to it. Some significant creases have been covered up by color touch. Great looking restoration job though. hail.gif

There was an action 1 with slight blue or color touch[i forget which] that fetched 194k in 2002[mastronet]

Yeah - but it was blue label, so it wasn't really restored.

wink.gif

I was hoping to get that answer to prove a point. Just because a book is in a blue label DOES not mean that its unrestored.People comming into this hobby are going to make that mistake when they see a blue label.Just like Zilltiy is above.

I would never buy a raw book for this reason because if a book has a fleck of restoration im afraid a dealer is going to say its unrestored.or that he will say,its only a tiny color touch, thats unrestored .

Yes Zillatiy/Zillatou was being sarcastic. That's why I added the little winky eye.

And while I usually don't purchase restored books, I would be happy to purchase an Action #1 whose only flaw is a tiny piece of glue on the spine.

Yes Zillatiy/Zillatou was being sarcastic. That's why I added the little winky eye.

And while I usually don't purchase restored books, I would be happy to purchase an Action #1 whose only flaw is a tiny piece of glue on the spine.

For 194k?