• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FANTASY 15....................how likely is it that

136 posts in this topic

I personally think the person who bought that is screwy.gif...Waste of 106K...So many better things to buy with that money

...says the guy buying stacks of Copper and Modern age slabbed X-Men books. tonofbricks.gif

screwy.gifscrewy.gif

poke2.gif

makepoint.gifmakepoint.gif Cant compare 106K to 50 bucks

i wasn't talking about the money. i was trying - apparently poorly - to get you to understand that you really shouldn't go around applying your value system to someone else.

like i think spending $50 and up on slabbed copies some of the most plentiful HG books in existence is kind of stupid when you could be buying up decent copies of undercollected SA DCs, but i would never tell you that except when trying to explain a point i'm trying to make

I personally think the person who bought that is screwy.gif...Waste of 106K...So many better things to buy with that money

...says the guy buying stacks of Copper and Modern age slabbed X-Men books. tonofbricks.gif

screwy.gifscrewy.gif

poke2.gif

i wasn't talking about the money. i was trying - apparently poorly - to get you to understand that you really shouldn't go around applying your value system to someone else.

like i think spending $50 and up on slabbed copies some of the most plentiful HG books in existence is kind of stupid when you could be buying up decent copies of undercollected SA DCs, but i would never tell you that except when trying to explain a point i'm trying to make

Do you think that OA is worth 106K. I simply stated that the price relized for that OA is ridiculous and I am sure many people would agree with me.

screwy.gifscrewy.gif

poke2.gif

Do you think that OA is worth 106K. I simply stated that the price relized for that OA is ridiculous and I am sure many people would agree with me.

I agree with you flowerred.gif

I love OA but thats farcical.

The problem with OA now is the lines are getting blurry between what is aesthetically appealing and what is a 'Key' issue, just like in the Comic Books.

Here's what I mean. Take AF15 OA...if it exists.

Its not great Art...its not a great Cover but it is AF 15 so it would prob. fetch a million bucks.

Now that is not collecting for the beauty of the Art, its because of its key value as related to Comic Books.

Crazy in my book. screwy.gif

If I was in the financial position to be able to spend $100K+ on a single piece of OA that meant something to me, I would. At the same time, if I were that rich, I still wouldn't spend $50 on slabbed Copper or Modern X-Men books. They hold no interest for me.

So I agree with Sal. No one can dictate what someone else likes or spends their money on. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

I dont want to get in a whos right whos wrong war here but I believe 99 percent of anyone with comic knowledge would agree that the OA to ASM 43 is not worth 106,000

thumbsup2.gif

Well, we know it's worth $106K to at least one person (and $105K to two).

The only true statement you can make about the "worth" of this cover is that it's not worth $106K...TO YOU.

It doesn't matter if 99% of comic book collectors don't collect OA, don't know about its value, couldn't care less about it, etc.. I couldn't care less about Cooper/Modern slabbed X-MEN books. They're not "worth" anything to me. Does that mean they're not "worth" $50?

the OA for the cover exists?

and if it did, given the cover OA fo spidey 43 recently went for $100kish

what would the cover OA fro AF 15 go for today??

If it exists it is priceless and should go on display in some museum same with Action 1, Batman 1 and Detective comics 27.

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

giblets.jpg

insane.gif

I dont want to get in a whos right whos wrong war here but I believe 99 percent of anyone with comic knowledge would agree that the OA to ASM 43 is not worth 106,000

thumbsup2.gif

Well, we know it's worth $106K to at least one person (and $105K to two).

The only true statement you can make about the "worth" of this cover is that it's not worth $106K...TO YOU.

It doesn't matter if 99% of comic book collectors don't collect OA, don't know about its value, couldn't care less about it, etc.. I couldn't care less about Cooper/Modern slabbed X-MEN books. They're not "worth" anything to me. Does that mean they're not "worth" $50?

First off, why are we comparing the topic of this thread to what I collect. Am I talking about what you collect NO .Im talking about the OA to ASM 43 so can you stay on topic. I dont know what you collect and I dont care either. I made a statement that makes sense while you still have not.

First off, why are we comparing the topic of this thread to what I collect.

You're commenting on what someone else buys/collects. Even going so far as say the price paid was "ridiculous" and that the buyer is "crazy". In my mind, that makes what you collect fair game. If you don't mean anything personally by it, then don't take it personally, either

I made a statement that makes sense while you still have not.

I'll let the board decide that.

You're commenting on what someone else buys/collects. Even going so far as say the price paid was "ridiculous" and that the buyer is "crazy". In my mind, that makes what you collect fair game. If you don't mean anything personally by it, then don't take it personally, either

right.

you know, there's a thing in the hobby, a kind of a rule; you don't publicly trash someone else's collecting goals. unless that someone is an individual who no one respects, like greggy or arexcrooke.

for everyone else, what they do with their money is their problem. now, one may think to oneself - and share said opinon with one's chums - that whomever spent 100k on a piece of OA is stupid, but if one were to come out in a public forum and say that, i would expect there might be people who would take one to task over that sort of thing

Mutantkeys,

You dont collect OA and thus are obviously not in a position to evaluate whether it is worth 106K (it obviously is worth it as it HAS sold for that). Do you know any of the other Large Art ASM Covers that have sold? If you did than you probably wouldnt be bemoaning this sale - the fact of the matter is Romita ASM Covers have been moving appreciably upwards and are considered rare beyond belief. I think the new owner did quite well, as ASM Large Art Covers are generally locked away and if you want one u dont generally get many chances.

On the topic at hand, I think it is worth 3-4Million but thats just my honest opinion and obviously only the market can determine whether I am right or wrong when the piece surfaces, if it surfaces.

100K seems right from the 43 cover Several big dollar players collect Romita Spider-Man covers and large art dont pop up for sale too often. Plus almost any advanced collector of Silver Age would love a Romita Spidey cover (me if I could afford one I'd rather have a nice Kirby/Sinnott FF cover) The AF 15 art might not exist, it was likely part of the art that was stolen or given out at the Marvel offices in the 1960's or could have been shredded, lost etc. Artists didnt get their art back in those days so I doubt Ditko would have it. If it exists and was sold I bet it would bring at least 1 Million (hey you gotta poney up if you want to say you have the biggest johnson)

I agree with you that AF15 art cover is worth 1 million.

I dont think you have to OWN original art to be knowledgable about it.That is not a Prerequisite.So by saying he does not own any art does not have to mean he does not know anything about it, or worse, that his opinion does not merit attention.

Irrelevant. 99.999999999% of comic collectors could not afford that cover at $106K, so their opinions on the matter are inconsequetial. You might as well ask the abominable snowman whether a Ferrari is worth $250,000.

If two or more buyers bid the piece up to $106K, then that's (at least) what the piece was worth at that time. A gaggle of onlookers who don't participate in that section of the market don't get to dictate what big ticket items are worth.

Irrelevant. 99.999999999% of comic collectors could not afford that cover at $106K, so their opinions on the matter are inconsequetial. You might as well ask the abominable snowman whether a Ferrari is worth $250,000.

If two or more buyers bid the piece up to $106K, then that's (at least) what the piece was worth at that time. A gaggle of onlookers who don't participate in that section of the market don't get to dictate what big ticket items are worth.

Thats the daftest piece of reasoning I've ever heard. screwy.gif

So what you are saying is that anyone who is not financially on a par with anyone else, has an invalid opinion.

You've just killed the American Dream in one sentence. 27_laughing.gif