• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FANTASY 15....................how likely is it that

136 posts in this topic

I dont want to get in a whos right whos wrong war here but I believe 99 percent of anyone with comic knowledge would agree that the OA to ASM 43 is not worth 106,000

Irrelevant. 99.999999999% of comic collectors could not afford that cover at $106K, so their opinions on the matter are inconsequetial. You might as well ask the abominable snowman whether a Ferrari is worth $250,000.

If two or more buyers bid the piece up to $106K, then that's (at least) what the piece was worth at that time. A gaggle of onlookers who don't participate in that section of the market don't get to dictate what big ticket items are worth.

Thats the daftest piece of reasoning I've ever heard. screwy.gif

So what you are saying is that anyone who is not financially on a par with anyone else, has an invalid opinion.

You've just killed the American Dream in one sentence. 27_laughing.gif

No, SFB , what I'm saying is that value is dictated by those in a position to buy a thing and the willingness to do so. Those who are not in a position to buy something or are unwilling to do so are not valid indicators of an item's value.

Why do you constantly resort to name calling?

For a so called lawyer your erudition is very poor, and your standing as an elected committee member on these boards needs to be called into question.

This is twice now you have referred to me as s h i t for brains, a remark I take exception to, and very much look forward to asking you to repeat it to my face, at any upcoming function I am able to attend. thumbsup2.gif

I guess you referring to my post as the "daftest piece of reasoning" is your idea of erudite and polite commentary? And my position as a board member means that I have to take a comment like that from you without saying something? I don't think so.

Feel free to attend WonderCon or Chicago and I'll be happy to say the same to your face.

I don't mean to intrude here, but is all this really necessary? Going on a childish exchange like this just makes you both look like a couple of prima donnas and drama queens. Why not just respectfully agree to disagree and move on?

foreheadslap.gif

I totally agree with you.

I will save my instruction in manners for a personal meeting at a future time.

I look forward to it, so will not say anything more on the subject.

Maybe this will help you understand...

MUTANTKEYS assertion that the ASM 40 cover is not worth $106K (and your agreement with that assessment) would be similar to ME saying that this piece:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=205922&GSub=32318

is not worth $4K. That $4K is ridiculous and that anyone who would pay that amount is a fool. And that 99% of comic collectors would agree with me.

Oh yeah, I also don't happen to collect EC art and know nothing of its market value.

Got it, SFB?poke2.gif

MUTANTKEYS assertion that the ASM 40 cover is not worth $106K (and your agreement with that assessment) would be similar to ME saying that this piece:

is not worth $4K. That $4K is ridiculous and that anyone who would pay that amount is a fool. And that 99% of comic collectors would agree with me.

Oh yeah, I also don't happen to collect EC art and know nothing of its market value.

Got it, SFB?poke2.gif

The ASM# 40 Cover has gotta be worth more than the #43 Cover - no [more iconic]? Im guessing the #40 cover has gotta be double the #43? How'd we end up talking about the #40?

Got it, SFB?poke2.gif

I never said anything about the 40 cover. I said the cover to 43.

Got it, SFB?poke2.gif

Well firstly I DO collect OA, and I DO know something about it.

However I believe you don't have to be an expert to voice an opinion or have a point of view.

I believe that in a Collector's World, any given item is only worth as much as anyone is prepared to pay for it.

Notwithstanding this, I believe that sort of money to be quite ridiculous and obscene, and not at all related to the quality of the Art itself, just purely associated with the Spiderman hype, which has pushed the price of all things Spidey up for years.

Let's face it. Ditko was not a great Artist, and neither is Romita.

Wally Wood is however a genius.

Got that (and to use your own venacular, NH, BE & DH) poke2.gif

I dont want to get in a whos right whos wrong war here but I believe 99 percent of anyone with comic knowledge would agree that the OA to ASM 43 is not worth 106,000

Irrelevant. 99.999999999% of comic collectors could not afford that cover at $106K, so their opinions on the matter are inconsequetial. You might as well ask the abominable snowman whether a Ferrari is worth $250,000.

If two or more buyers bid the piece up to $106K, then that's (at least) what the piece was worth at that time.

You make a good point, so in your opinion do you think a "non-key" cover to asm which in this case is 43 is worth 106K

popcorn.gif

Yes, is two people bid on it and the piece sold for $106K to a willing bidder in an arm's length sale, I don't see how anyone could say the piece isn't worth $106K. That isn't to say that it's worth $106K to everyone, but within its market, it's worth $106K.

I don't mean to intrude here, but is all this really necessary? Going on a childish exchange like this just makes you both look like a couple of prima donnas and drama queens. Why not just respectfully agree to disagree and move on?

foreheadslap.gif

Thanks for your valued opinion.

Got it, SFB?poke2.gif

Uh oh, now it looks like Alex is going to have two lessons to teach when he comes to WonderCon! yay.gif

If two or more buyers bid the piece up to $106K, then that's (at least) what the piece was worth at that time.

You make a good point, so in your opinion do you think a "non-key" cover to asm which in this case is 43 is worth 106K

popcorn.gif

Yes, is two people bid on it and the piece sold for $106K to a willing bidder in an arm's length sale, I don't see how anyone could say the piece isn't worth $106K. That isn't to say that it's worth $106K to everyone, but within its market, it's worth $106K.

It was worth $106,000 to exactly one individual. That doesn't make a market.

Got it, SFB?poke2.gif

However I believe you don't have to be an expert to voice an opinion or have a point of view.

I totally agree with you. You are prime evidence of the fact that not only does someone not need to be an expert to voice an opinion or have a point of view, but in fact, one need not even have any knowledge whatsoever or even more than three functional brain cells to express an opinion or have a point of view. See? We've got common ground here! cloud9.gif

Got it, SFB?poke2.gif

Uh oh, now it looks like Alex is going to have two lessons to teach when he comes to WonderCon! yay.gif

I won't be travelling to any Con in the States, and I never said I would. I said Forum Dinners I believe.

And it will be London, I will travel down specially. A 400 Mile round trip, but it will be worth it.

Just so we're clear

popcorn.gif

Uh, but it took two people to get it to that price. Are you intentionally being obtuse?

popcorn.gif

What about the underbidders right below that guy? By your reasoning, no auction sales are sufficient to act as evidence of an item's value.

Which is already more than Mutantkeys.

That's fine, but that opinion would be uniformed. Worthless, essentially. That's all I'm saying.

I believe that in a Collector's World, any given item is only worth as much as anyone is prepared to pay for it.

893applaud-thumb.gif So even you admit IT IS worth $106K! That's what someone paid for it! Maybe you're not such an SFB afterall thumbsup2.gif

Notwithstanding this, I believe that sort of money to be quite ridiculous and obscene, and not at all related to the quality of the Art itself, just purely associated with the Spiderman hype, which has pushed the price of all things Spidey up for years.

This I don't have a problem with. My only disagreement was with Mutantkey's assertion that the cover was not "worth" what someone clearly paid for it.

Let's face it. Ditko was not a great Artist, and neither is Romita.

Wally Wood is however a genius.

Nevermind, you are an SFB.

Just kidding, I'm a fan of Wood as well.

Got it, SFB?poke2.gif

I totally agree with you. You are prime evidence of the fact that not only does someone not need to be an expert to voice an opinion or have a point of view, but in fact, one need not even have any knowledge whatsoever or even more than three functional brain cells to express an opinion or have a point of view. See? We've got common ground here! cloud9.gif

Carry on, that all you got?

popcorn.gif

What about the underbidders right below that guy? By your reasoning, no auction sales are sufficient to act as evidence of an item's value.

I was at the auction. Two phone bidders bid it up. One dropped out after lengthy back and forth. By definition, if the winner tried to sell it immediately thereafter for $106,000 he wouldn't get it since no one else was willing to go that high. So the intrinsic value has to be something less than $106,000.