• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Off Topic :: Part Two :: Chess Anyone?

60 posts in this topic

Checkmated him in 33 moves

What is your chess rating anyone?

I havent played in quite a few years but it was at 1800 I could play even with them but with the 1900 I could beat 1 out of 5 times maybe.

Nice to see a board member bringing out the chess board.

Davidking623

It seems to be possible to castle on both sides. Perhaps that bug won't let you castle if your king has been checked earlier in the game?

Castling is a wierd thing. I've played online for some years, and depending on who you are playing, in what country the site is being hosted, and all that jazz, there are different rules to castling. I even remember playing on a site once that didn't allow it at all.

As for this particular game, I castled on the kings side, and the way I did it was click on the rook once, then clicked on the king once, and then clicked back on the rook. It seemed to work for me. Although as a creature of habit, I don't bother on relying on that move anymore, and I can't say I've tried it on the queens side yet.

Nice! I love playing chess on Yahoo games. We need to have a CGC Forums Chess tourney.

After some thought, I decided to spend some of my spare time to put together a chess game with several variations (I was originally intending to build it for my own enjoyment, but gave some consideration to BOC's comment). First off, imagine if you will, 3D rendered pieces that are suited up as your favourite marvel or dc character. Second that with animated sequences when the pieces are moved, or actually conquer the enemies line. And top it all off with audio sequences (this one might be a second version component as I imagine this one to take up a considerable amount of bandwidth and I'd rather the game be an easy download for those still on a 52K connection, but there will be an option for high-speed users).

I've also given thought to a configuration module, where you can pick and choose from a template of characters. Ie. Ghost Rider (GA and Bronze Age) as the horse piece, Galactus and Beyonder as the King, and so on. Once you pick your characters, they are coloured as either black or red (black being goods guys, and red being bad).

And finally, you would ultimately be able to choose whether you wanted characters from the marvel and dc universe. A fair warning; because of development considerations, first beta would probably not have as wide a selection of characters, would probably have two or three (max) angles to view the game, and would likely not allow two user play, but rather single-user vs computer play.

Now for obvious copyrighting purposes, I would likely develop this game for use on this forum or on a similar site, and would expect no fees to pay for playing. Based on the interest for this topic, I'm posing the following questions;

i) do you think its a worthwhile endeavour (ie is there enough interest on this forum for something like this);

ii) do you think there are any issues with creating a bootleg online game (ie. using marvel and dc characters for a one-on-one battle of chess) that is played for enjoyment? Anyone anticipate any problems with marvel and dc? And realistically, I probably wouldn't be able to start working on this project until sometime in mid-July or early August. My plate is full with three web sites and a recent contract commitment. So what do you guys think?

It seems to be possible to castle on both sides. Perhaps that bug won't let you castle if your king has been checked earlier in the game?

Castling is a wierd thing. I've played online for some years, and depending on who you are playing, in what country the site is being hosted, and all that jazz, there are different rules to castling. I even remember playing on a site once that didn't allow it at all.

As for this particular game, I castled on the kings side, and the way I did it was click on the rook once, then clicked on the king once, and then clicked back on the rook. It seemed to work for me. Although as a creature of habit, I don't bother on relying on that move anymore, and I can't say I've tried it on the queens side yet.

Joseph - it's weird that the sites don't develop online castling to emulate international tournament rules. It has always been that the king should be moved two spaces first, indicating that a castling will occur, whether going king or queens side. tHe only time in the game a King can move 2 spaces. I beleive the problem that forum members may have run into with castling is inadvertently nullifying their castling capability either by 1) moving the king prior 2) moving the rook prior, 3) castling to escape check or 4) having the king crossing a "line of check" - In programming this game, I'm SURE these simple rules would not have been overlooked...

Joseph - it's weird that the sites don't develop online castling to emulate international tournament rules. It has always been that the king should be moved two spaces first, indicating that a castling will occur, whether going king or queens side.

Hey Darth

Before I forget, congrats on the newborn!!

I couldn't agree with you more. But the reality is, between bugs and different rules as the site providers see fit, I don't rely on castling working whenever I'm playing on new sites. Too often, I ended-up pulling a John McEnroe; often yearning for this kind of guilty pleasure after getting the castling shaft!

The queens side castling was always a final option, but because of the two piece spacing between king and rook, and three piece spacing on the queens side, I find myself more inclined to use the king side more often than the queen side.

The queens side castling was always a final option, but because of the two piece spacing between king and rook, and three piece spacing on the queens side, I find myself more inclined to use the king side more often than the queen side.

Thanks Joseph...Logan is growing up well...

I agree on the final option. The king side castling is the conventional use, unless your opponent is "heavy" on that side of the board, trying to take out the bishop's pawn on that side... Queen side castling leaves that right most pawn too much of a target and opens up a higher potential for a back row corner checkmate by opponent's rook or queen.

Queen side castling, though unorthodox, can be used in several riskier gambits, luring your opponent to attack that side if the board if you know they are weaker there.

I beat it in 9 also with the Queen. I was only trying to steal the rook and silly stuff like that, but as I advanced my pawn to clear the way for the long diagonal to the corner for my Queen) I noticed the good ol Fools mate. (just explaining why it took nine instead of seven!)

This game is pretty stupid at the easy level: Ive played computer chess on more advanced levels and always get my arse handed to me!

This game is pretty lame, I beat it with a bishop, Queen gambit in 4 moves:

pawn e1 to e4

bishop f1 to c4

queen d1 to f3

queen f3 to f 7

Checkmate

Granted, this gambit is pedantic, but this AI is so weak that there are hundreds of other opening variations which can beat it everytime in less 10 moves.

Tom

Checkmated him in 33 moves

What is your chess rating anyone?

I havent played in quite a few years but it was at 1800 I could play even with them but with the 1900 I could beat 1 out of 5 times maybe.

Nice to see a board member bringing out the chess board.

Davidking623

I used to play online and they used to rate the players but I do not put to much faith in the system. After hundreds of hours playing, I floated between a 2000's and 2150's. If you were rated 1800 and could only beat a 1900 20% of the time then the rating were way off. Generally, a 100 point difference will mean that your opponents will beat you 64% of the time. Lets say I came in at my normal rating of about 2100 and played you, believe it or not, you would lose to me 86% of the time. To put things in perspective, if I played a master or senior master, I would lose 90% time and you would never win. This scale will tell you the percentages :

Rating expectancies vs. differences

PW PD

.99 677 .66 117 .33 -125

.98 589 .65 110 .32 -133

.97 538 .64 102 .31 -141

.96 501 .63 95 .30 -149

.95 470 .62 87 .29 -158

.94 444 .61 80 .28 -166

.93 422 .60 72 .27 -175

.92 401 .59 65 .26 -184

.91 383 .58 57 .25 -193

.90 366 .57 50 .24 -202

.89 351 .56 43 .23 -211

.88 335 .55 36 .22 -220

.87 322 .54 29 .21 -230

.86 309 .53 21 .20 -240

.85 296 .52 14 .19 -251

.84 284 .51 7 .18 -262

.83 273 .50 0 .17 -273

.82 262 .49 -7 .16 -284

.81 251 .48 -14 .15 -296

.80 240 .47 -21 .14 -309

.79 230 .46 -29 .13 -322

.78 220 .45 -36 .12 -335

.77 211 .44 -43 .11 -351

.76 202 .43 -50 .10 -366

.75 193 .42 -57 .09 -383

.74 184 .41 -65 .08 -401

.73 175 .40 -72 .07 -422

.72 166 .39 -80 .06 -444

.71 158 .38 -87 .05 -470

.70 149 .37 -95 .04 -501

.69 141 .36 -102 .03 -538

.68 133 .35 -110 .02 -589

.67 125 .34 -117 .01 -677

PW = percentage wins by superior opponent. PD - point difference

I simply do not have the time now to play, untimed games can take 4 hours +.

Tom

I must not have the latest... thanks!

QUICK CHESS QUESTIONS"

1. My brother in law was just playing my 10 year old daughter (who has beaten him several times) and a dispute has arisen. He claims that you can change or upgrade ANY piece.. if you can move a piece, unimpeded to the other end of the board? Example: if you take your bishop to the opponents last row, you can change it to a rook or queen..if he's taken that piece from you prior. Is this BS!! sounds like it. My understanding is just a pawn can accomplish this.

2. can somebody clearly explain the "empasse" (sp?) rule?