• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Art Storage

12 posts in this topic

Why stop there? Why not put it in a bomb-proof capsule and drop it into a trench in the North Atlantic?

Well that's just dumb...you shouldn't do that without dropping in a couple of Silica gel packets first...you know..for the humidity thumbsup2.gif

Why stop there? Why not put it in a bomb-proof capsule and drop it into a trench in the North Atlantic?

Well that's just dumb...you shouldn't do that without dropping in a couple of Silica gel packets first...you know..for the humidity thumbsup2.gif

I put my art in this safe:

mosler.jpg

Buried it in my back yard so I can only get to it like this:

yardbunker2a.jpg

And then just to keep 'em guessing, I posted this sign out front:

super_security.jpg

Seriously speaking.

A fireproof safe will get you a discount on your insurance, and it will keep the artwork in a dark place (good thing), putting some materials inside the safe will keep it dry (a very good thing).

Be warned however, that fireproof safes do not mean that it will withstand heat and fire permanently. Most safes are rated for duration of protection. Even great safes will only last for 6-8 hours in intense heat, and sometimes paper products within the safe will curl from the external heat. Also a safe may prevent you from taking pieces with you if you have a fire and are exiting the premises.

So positives and negatives, if you get a GREAT fireproof safe you pretty well covered overall, but those are BIG $$.

Chris

Thanks for the info there but does any one know if the fireproof safe will hurt the art form what i was reading it can hurt comics so i don't put them in there does any one know if it effects art ?

From my understanding the issue with comics has been rust migation from the staples to the paper caused by humidity build up in the safe. Since there are no metal elements in OA, you shouldn't have any problems there.

The issue with the fireproof safes and any sealed container for that matter is humidity and temperature. If you can control these a well made safe will provide added security from theft or fire (In my opinion). The safes that appeared to cause most of the problems you read about were (I believe) the office depot type document type safes that sealed tightly and "cooked" the contents.

Comparing Itoyas and safes are like comparing a hammer and a saw. Two different tools for two different parts of the same job (although there are a few overlaping benefits)

Your Itoya is holding your art in sleeves and separating each piece from the next. It prevents damage from handling and keeps the art clean. It also allows easy access for viewing among other things. It doesn't guard against fire and theft.

A safe would guard against theft and in the case of a fire safe, fire. Note that as was said earlier, the safe is not a magic box that resists fire indefinately. It will eventually allow enough heat to come through that it will damage your art. The purpose of the fire safe is to resist external heat long enough for a fire to be extinguished.

Note: Safes resist the transmission of heat to their contents by different methods. Some are insulated with materials that can release moisture into the contents to mute the flashpoint of combustibles. Others are insulated with materials that don't easily transmit heat but don't give off moisture (This was my impression from asking various safe makers).

So to answer your question: Yes and no. If you invest in a high quality fire safe with the proper insulating material and control the environment (Temp and Humidity) in and around the safe you will provide a very safe place for your art that will be dark, dry, and cool.

If you buy a cheap safe that creates a harmful environment for your art (High humidity and temperature) or allow the environment around any safe to degrade you will be potentially damaging the art.

Hope that helps- I keep my Itoya in my safe if that shades my answer in one direction more than another.