• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need help identifying books from the "N D" collection.

56 posts in this topic

This is a repost of a thread I just started in the General Comics section:

Please take a look at these two Sub-Mariners, which sold recently in the Comiclink Golden Age auction:

Subby25.jpg

Subby26.jpg

Please note the "N D" written in pencil in the "N" of the Submariner title.

From what I have gathered, these books were part of a 200 or so book original owner collection that came out of upstate NY about a decade ago. Metropolis comics purchased and resold about half of the 200 books. Stephen Fishler confirmed that information. I also consulted Matt Nelson re: this collection. Matt confirmed he had seen a number of books with the "N D" initials over the years, but didn't know anything of their particular background, so they are apparently a bit of an unknown quantity.

I would like to thank both of them for generously offering their input and insight.

If you own any "N D" books, or can provide any insight into what books comprised the collection, I would appreciate it greatly. It will obviously never be awarded a pedigree status, but I believe all attempts should be made to identify and document original owner golden age collections in the current market environment. It would be a shame if books like these suddenly lose their distinctive penciled initials (and subsequently their unique lineage) because someone thinks they would resell better without them.

Any scans of other "N D" books would also be appreciated. Thanks!

I have seen MANY books from this collection. I believe there is a Flash #92 CGC 9.4 from this collection. The books are beautiful and generally have ow/w or white pages! Some have named it the "Cape Cod" collection.

West

I have seen MANY books from this collection. I believe there is a Flash #92 CGC 9.4 from this collection. The books are beautiful and generally have ow/w or white pages!

West

If ever any stream across your desk at CGC, I would appreciate greatly a PM with title and issue # (assuming that is permissible).

I'll be more then happy to keep a master list, perhaps even publish one to a website in due time. Seems like such a great collection, that it would be a shame to let it pass into obscurity.

Thanks West!

I have seen MANY books from this collection. I believe there is a Flash #92 CGC 9.4 from this collection. The books are beautiful and generally have ow/w or white pages! Some have named it the "Cape Cod" collection.

West

West, is this the Flash # 92 CGC 9.4 you were speaking of? What an amazing book... cloud9.gif

This collection easily merits more recognition then it has garnered so far.

And for those of you without a Heritage account:

Flash92ND.jpg

West

West, is this the Flash # 92 CGC 9.4 you were speaking of? What an amazing book... cloud9.gif

This collection easily merits more recognition then it has garnered so far.

And for those of you without a Heritage account:

Flash92ND.jpg

Yep thumbsup2.gif

West

A bumpit.gif for my thread from yesterday, as outside of West, I haven't gotten any feedback yet. frown.gif

If you're worried about revealing ownership of a book to the public, I can assure you any communications will be kept confidential. Heck, you can even PM me the information 'anonymously' ("I know a guy who owns a book with those initials...its a XXX # XX").

I guess I could just go streaming through the Heritage archives, but.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

From Heritage.....

Adventure Comics #127 (DC, 1948) CGC NM- 9.2 Off-white to white pages.

820113001o.jpg

Detective Comics #131 (DC, 1948) CGC VF 8.0 Off-white pages.

12081008204o.jpg

Flash Comics #93 (DC, 1948) CGC NM 9.4 Off-white to white pages.

804006996o.jpg

Batman #49 (DC, 1948) CGC VF+ 8.5 Off-white to white pages.

805001149o.jpg

Adventure Comics #130 (DC, 1948) CGC VF+ 8.5 Off-white to white pages.

820113002o.jpg

All-American Comics #100 (DC, 1948) CGC VF- 7.5 Off-white to white pages.

(ND is faint, but there)

13121023044o.jpg

All-Flash #29 (DC, 1947) CGC VF+ 8.5 Cream to off-white pages.

803033135o.jpg

Green Lantern #27 (DC, 1947) CGC VF+ 8.5 Off-white to white pages.

13092008080o.jpg

Detective Comics #125 (DC, 1947) CGC VF 8.0 Cream to off-white pages.

13092008013o.jpg

All-Flash #31 (DC, 1947) CGC VF- 7.5 Off-white pages.

804006925o.jpg

Batman #53 (DC, 1949) CGC VF 8.0 Off-white pages.

803033625o.jpg

Nice detective work spillred! thumbsup2.gif

A big hearty thank you to Spillred for his awesome contributions... 893applaud-thumb.gif

And for all of you following this thread, I will post a more detailed origin of this collection as soon as I confirm a few more facts, and hopefully obtain the original master list. The facts that I've gleaned about this collection have me pretty excited, and I hope to share the information with all of you soon.

A big hearty thank you to Spillred for his awesome contributions... 893applaud-thumb.gif

And for all of you following this thread, I will post a more detailed origin of this collection as soon as I confirm a few more facts, and hopefully obtain the original master list. The facts that I've gleaned about this collection have me pretty excited, and I hope to share the information with all of you soon.

893applaud-thumb.gif Can't wait to hear it.

Looking forward to it. Very pretty books, and I've always been a fan of later GA DC's.