• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who are the top 10 Golden Age Superheros ---- as of 2006?

62 posts in this topic

Okay, let's alter the question just a bit and some of you historian types may want to have a go at this. (briefly for god's sake)

Who were the top ten superheroes between 1938 and 1946 and I mean during that actual period of time. Not looking back from today but back when the comics were actually being read.

This one interests me. I'd love to see a comparison list between the top ten Golden Age heroes in 2006 vs.1938-1946. I would assume the earlier list would be created from circulation figures. Any media historians out there (or very, very old collectors)?

I think Aquaman is more popular in everyday culture than the lists I've seen in this thread would imply. Amongst comic collectors, no, but thanks to Super Friends, Entourage, the Smallville episode, and the unaired pilot that's become something of a cult hit, I think his name recognition amongst the masses is higher than many of the 2nd tier DC and Marvel heroes.

I think Aquaman is more popular in everyday culture than the lists I've seen in this thread would imply. Amongst comic collectors, no, but thanks to Super Friends, Entourage, the Smallville episode, and the unaired pilot that's become something of a cult hit, I think his name recognition amongst the masses is higher than many of the 2nd tier DC and Marvel heroes.

As much as I love Captain Marvel, I asked a few non-comic people under 25 if they knew who Cap was, and the answer was no. Aquaman was all yes; they didn't even recognize the "Shazam!" name.

But then again, Aquaman isn't GA, he's SA, right, so he shouldn't count in this list anyway.

When's the movie coming; Cap needs exposure!!! popcorn.gif

I`m surprised by the number of people who`ve listed Flash and Green Lantern. The average person might know the SA versions, particularly from cartoons, but the GA versions? Highly doubtful. If they say "Flash", they`re most likely thinking of Barry Allen/Wally West, not Jay Garrick.

I`m surprised by the number of people who`ve listed Flash and Green Lantern. The average person might know the SA versions, particularly from cartoons, but the GA versions? Highly doubtful. If they say "Flash", they`re most likely thinking of Barry Allen/Wally West, not Jay Garrick.

Just because we love them.

My favorite band is Pink Floyd.

Did I miss something? Cuz I have no idea where this post is coming.

I did kinda like Brick in the Wall but that's about all I can tell you about PF.

Did I miss something? Cuz I have no idea where this post is coming.

I did kinda like Brick in the Wall but that's about all I can tell you about PF.

I was trying to be like Ralph on the Simpsons. tongue.gif I figured if Ciorac decided to answer with his favorite heroes, rather than answer the question that was asked, I would respond with a further non sequitur.

That's an excellent point about Aquaman. I have to agree.

1. Superman

2. Batman

3. Wonder Woman

4. Captain America

5. Aquaman

6. Flash

7. Green Lantern

8. The Shadow

9. Captain Marvel (mainly those that remember the Shazam! TV show)

10. The Phantom

It's funny that Aquaman is barely even thought of as a Golden Age hero, despite appearing pretty much continuously from 1941 onwards in back-up stories (More Fun, then Adventure, then Detective).

Trivia (which'll be easy for some people, but fun for others): Despite first appearing in 1941, on which comic in what year was Aquaman first seen on a front cover?

Not exactly superhero, but............ tongue.gif

1.) Wonder Woman

2.) Phantom Lady

3.) Rulah

4.) Sheena

5.) Blonde Phantom

6.) Black Cat

7.) Mysta of the Moon

8.) Princess Pantha

9.) Judy of the Jungle

10.) Miss Masque

11.) Tiger Girl

12.) Senorita Rio

13.) Brenda Starr

14.) Tygra

15.) Camilla

shy.gif

Honestly, I can't think of a single GA cover with Aquaman. Surely Brave & Bold 28 isn't his first cover, is it?

It surely is.

Seriously? Wow, I would thought it was a later More Fun or Adventure. Cool trivia question.

Honestly, I can't think of a single GA cover with Aquaman. Surely Brave & Bold 28 isn't his first cover, is it?

It surely is.

Seriously? Wow, I would thought it was a later More Fun or Adventure. Cool trivia question.

Yep. It has been an often used "gothca" type of trivia question at cons and at the local comic shops.

Not exactly superhero, but............ tongue.gif

1.) Wonder Woman

2.) Phantom Lady

3.) Rulah

4.) Sheena

5.) Blonde Phantom

6.) Black Cat

7.) Mysta of the Moon

8.) Princess Pantha

9.) Judy of the Jungle

10.) Miss Masque

11.) Tiger Girl

12.) Senorita Rio

13.) Brenda Starr

14.) Tygra

15.) Camilla

shy.gif

No sky girl. 893whatthe.gifsorry.gif

What...are you guys crazy? Here's the REAL list. Geez, this is SO obvious:

1) The American Crusader

2) Pyroman

3) The Fighting Yank

4) Doc Strange

5) Captain Future

6) The Liberator

7) The Woman in Red

8) The Secret Ace

9) The American Eagle

10)The Ghost

What...you didn't see the big Hollywood Blockbusters? The Saturday morning cartoons? The 7-11 slurpy cups?

I think I still have the Pyroman slurpy cup somewhere... insane.gif

How could you guys forget Catman?

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

What...are you guys crazy? Here's the REAL list. Geez, this is SO obvious:

1) The American Crusader

2) Pyroman

3) The Fighting Yank

4) Doc Strange

5) Captain Future

6) The Liberator

7) The Woman in Red

8) The Secret Ace

9) The American Eagle

10)The Ghost

What...you didn't see the big Hollywood Blockbusters? The Saturday morning cartoons? The 7-11 slurpy cups?

I think I still have the Pyroman slurpy cup somewhere... insane.gif

How could you guys forget Catman?

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

I don't believe that Catman was ever on a slurpy cup poke2.gif

27_laughing.gif