• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Borat!

36 posts in this topic

I went to the city yesterday (I live in queens) to go check out Borat with my friend..Can you believe that the movie was sold out everywhere..I went to 14th st, 23rd st, 42st, 64th st and could not get tickets unless I wanted the 11:00 showing and it was 4:00 - 5:00 ...So much walking and train fares wasted Christo_pull_hair.gif

I went to see this movie last night. Lots of funny stuff (the fight scene had me and everyone else howling with laughter), but I have to say that the movie was not as clever as I expected it to be. The Ali G. movie (Indahouse) had what I think is the same problem. Ali G. and Borat are both funniest in shorter skits when they are interviewing people. That setup is a lot easier to do on a TV show like Da Ali G. Show that is made up of several short skits. I think it's hard to do that kind of thing well as a full length movie.

But I still had a good time! yay.gif

I thought it was a little weak also, thought most of the best bits were already in the trailers (except for the fight, but even that ran a little loooong)...thought it was OK, but probably best to wait for the DVD...

OK, now I've seen the movie. It hilarious, but not as good as the material on Da Ali G Show.

I think my expectations were incredibly high from all review.

I dont find him funny at all confused-smiley-013.gif

Neither do I, I snored at the trailer. I'm all for funny movies, I was there for Murphy before he can became Cosby 2, Sandler, Farley hell I even tolerate Ferrell but this isn't funny, it's some guy pretending he's a foreign *spoon* which is going to convince a good chunk of impressionable people that everyone from there is just like him. Wow he called Bush a warlord and says his daughter is a whore HAR HAR HAR!

On second thought I highly encourage everyone to see this movie, wear it out sooner than later. Next.

sign-rantpost.gifsign-offtopic.gifpoke2.giffrustrated.gifdevil.gif

I went to see this movie last night. Lots of funny stuff (the fight scene had me and everyone else howling with laughter), but I have to say that the movie was not as clever as I expected it to be. The Ali G. movie (Indahouse) had what I think is the same problem. Ali G. and Borat are both funniest in shorter skits when they are interviewing people. That setup is a lot easier to do on a TV show like Da Ali G. Show that is made up of several short skits. I think it's hard to do that kind of thing well as a full length movie.

But I still had a good time! yay.gif

I found this movie to be far superior to ALI G: INDAHOUSE which was entirely scripted whereas BORAT is a hybrid. Having said that, I think all the rave reviews are from critics who are not familiar with DA ALI G SHOW. A lot of gags in the movie are recycled from the show.

BTW, the HBO version is much better than its Brit predecessor (I've got all the DVD's from the UK). The original British version has a laugh track (way to ruin a funny bit) and the production quality (if you can believe it) is lower. Also, I think most Americans will not know the local celebrities and dignitaries who are being goofed on (of course, this aspect is no fault of the show).

Still, I recommend this movie for a good laugh and a different look at America, warts and all. My favorite bit is the one with Bob Barr...the prolonged close-up on his face is priceless.

I think this might be funny if I had a lot of brain cells removed before watching.

Anyone like Jack Benny?

Yup, I like Jack Benny. I used to listen to his radio show. I especially got a kick out of his "feud" with Fred Allen...the original crossover!

See, you can like Jack Benny AND Borat. I'd bet Benny himself would have been a fan of Sacha Baron Cohen. And if you think Benny wouldn't have approved of "blue" humor, you should look up a famous story about the time he ran into Mel Blanc at a screening of DEEP THROAT.

Nexus--hearing about Jack Benny running into Mel Blanc at a screening of Deep Throat sounds a lot more funny than this "movie"

Like it or not, the movie is hilarious. I suspect a lot of people are hung up on the perceived Bush bashing (and if you see the movie, you'll see it's really not that bad). For the record, he doesn't call Bush a "warlord" and doesn't even mention his daughters (let alone call one of them a "whore"). The comedy is hearing this character say outrageous things (and if you're a Bush fan, chalk it up to that) and watching people's reactions. That's pretty much it. Like watching Benny's slow burn, only unscripted...it's not only funny, it's instructive as well.

Saw the movie yesterday. Must say the fight scene was a little disturbing.

The funniest part for me is that Borat's friend in the movie was speaking armenian. Being armenian myself I understood what he was saying and in many instances he would just be saying random things that didnt match the subtitles. I dont know if Borat was speaking a real language or if he was just making up words.

The funniest part for me is that Borat's friend in the movie was speaking armenian. Being armenian myself I understood what he was saying and in many instances he would just be saying random things that didnt match the subtitles. I dont know if Borat was speaking a real language or if he was just making up words.

I'm Armenian, too. I suppose most people won't ever know the difference. In fact, I'm sure most think that Borat and his Armenian producer (or assistant) are speaking the same language.

That's really interesting about the Armenian bit. From IMDB:

Sacha Baron Cohen did not actually speak any Russian or Slavic language in the movie. In his conversations with Ken Davitian, he actually used a combination of Hebrew with a faked Russian accent and a small amount of Yiddish.

I saw the movie yesterday and it all honestly sounded the same to me. sorry.gif I really think that's part of the big joke of the movie - that many Americans have no idea about the realities of the rest of the world - and why it's getting such critical praise. The funniest, and most biting moments, are the ones where Borat says something terribly offensive and the poor American agrees or even encourages him. The rodeo was especially painfully hilarious.

The movie wasn't as GREAT! as the critics say it is but I was still laughing my bottom off the entire show. But really,that was more due to my inner 16-year old being tickled silly by blurred schlongs and poop jokes than biting social satire. The satire is definitely there and is excellent when it works but those looking for a smart movie may be distracted by bears and plastic fists.

In a way, this movie reminded me of Bean. I was a huge fan of Rowan Atkinson's Mr. Bean TV show and greatly anticipated the full length feature film. What I ended up seeing was recycled gags strung together by a hamfisted plot. There are many recycled jokes from Da Ali G Show in Borat, but fortunately, they are altered enough to still feel fresh to veterans of the show. I felt the scripted moments of Borat were among the weakest - the bear bit struck me as very flat.

Ultimately, while not unequivocally great, Borat was tons of fun and had me laughing hysterically throughout. If you are a fan of smart filth, then Borat will be right up your alley.

-Bob