• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you guys use to STORE YOUR CGC BOOKS???

30 posts in this topic

I have 3 magazine boxes full. What do you guys use to store CGC books? Magazine boxes are good but one think I don't like is the fact that you can't put anything on top of the lids since the lids are practically sitting on the tops of the cgc books.

Any suggestions?

"I have 3 magazine boxes full. What do you guys use to store CGC books?"

Keep plugging away at those trivia questions! grin.gif You might score some free CGC boxes. Hey, cool new avatar by the way.

I have 1,000's of comics, and believe it or not, I have yet to get a book slabbed by CGC. Why? I do NOT own the higher dollar books to make it worth the cost of admission (yearly fee + submission fees). Anyway, IF you can get custom made CGC boxes for less, then I would go with that option, but where I live, I wouldn't know where to begin looking. So IF I had CGC books, then I would look into purchasing about 5 of these CGC Boxes wink.gif

The magazine boxes you mentioned are what I used to use, and still use for overflow. I have 10 boxes packed full of cgc (mostly Silver) books, 11 per partition, 33 per box. The magazine boxes are sturdier than the cgc boxes, which rip at the handles if you have them full & pull them off a shelf or something like that.

The magazine boxes don't fully cover the slabs though, as they aren't the right height.

I like the idea of building my own boxes with some wood & liner material, etc. if I decide to keep all/some of my slabbed books.

I use those terribly flimsy boxes from CGC. They suck. I have seen ads for sturdier plastic boxes (I think from "Bags Unlimited") in CBG - anyone tried these out? And they're supposedly even waterproof!

I have 1,000's of comics, and believe it or not, I have yet to get a book slabbed by CGC. Why? I do NOT own the higher dollar books to make it worth the cost of admission (yearly fee + submission fees).

"yearly fee?" There's no need to pay a yearly fee.

"yearly fee?" There's no need to pay a yearly fee.

Sorry about that honest mistake, I must have been checking out the membership applicaton for becoming an "Authorized Member Dealer". However, that still does NOT make it a sensible option for me. The first thing that shoud be pointed out about me is that I'm a high grade (8.0 and up) completion collector. I collect what I can afford (I can only afford low grade Silver age, but I'm not interested in low grade), so according to my budget and collecting preferences I am limited to purchasing Bronze age and Modern age books. I cannot afford high grade Bronze keys like Incredible Hulk #181, Giant Size X-Men #1, Uncanny X-Men #94. Quite frankly, I don't see the point in owning such books unless I had more money than I knew what to do with, or I could find them in high grade 8.0+ for a small fraction of the "book value". Example: Giant-Size X-Men #1 CGC 8.0 unrestored for $300. That would be a large purchase for me, I've never spent that kind of money on 1 book. I like to read comics, so for me, the main purpose of having a book graded by CGC is more of a restoration check for a valuable book, and CGC grading can be a benifit as a seller (multiples of guide in SOME cases, at least more likely that a collector can sell for guide value), also giving buyers confidence in what they are buying.

Here is a list of why I have 1,000's of comic books and have yet to slab one.

1.) According to the CGC website, "Economy" is the most affordable solution and here are the details: estimated turnaround time 40 business days, maximum value of books up to $250, Minimum quantity of 3 must be submitted, and at the going rate of $25.00 per book. So the minimum that can be spent is $75 + shipping & handling fees + 40 day estimated turnaround. How many books would I have to sell to recover $75 + shipping & handling? According to my budget and considering that 95%+ of my books are NOT worth $25 each, the current minimum price of $75 (to have 3 books graded) is too rich for my blood, and 40 days is far too long of a wait (I've heard about cases of longer waiting times).

2.) I like to read comic books, and IF a reprint (Masterworks, Essential, Archives, TPB, etc) does NOT exist, the only way to read the book is to break open the case, and considering that it would cost another $25 to have it re-graded, re-encapsulated, that would essentially be the same as flushing money down a toilet.

3.) On average I purchase about 95%+ of my comics (VF-NM books) for less than 0.60 cents each via eBay & PayPal (I've given as little as 0.25 cents each). At 0.60 cents each I could purchase 125 comic books for the price of that $75 professional grading service. It simply does NOT add up for me. I know some of these dealers have books I can only dream of, High grade Golden and Silver age books, especially key issues, IF you are going to sell, are probably "worth" the fees, IF you have the books, which I don't.

4.) I like to get the most "bang" for my buck, it feels good that way wink.gif

Well, now that you know I"m poor, but not a starving dealer, maybe we could help each other...point the way!

It is waaaaaaay past my bedtime, goodnite laugh.gif

All books after 1975 are being graded as modern books which costs you (including the 20% discount that some affiliates offer) $12 per book. So for $75 you would get 6 slabbed books and if you are lucky maybe even a 9.9 or 10.0 which maybe is not that far fetched since you collect mainly moderns and bronzes.

I never sent in something either but I just started collecting. As soon as I have something that looks really perfect and is worth more than, lets say 8 $ I will probably send it in.

Eventually I will also send in a huge pack once and have it prescreened and just get the 9.8s slabbed.